Checking In From Se Australia

Guessologist

Hi all, thought I'd better sign up for an account as I've been lurking for too long! The technical discussions in the Equinox subforum keep me coming back, always interesting to see what new ideas people are coming up with to get the most out of their machines.

I've mostly been coin and relic hunting for the two years I've been into detecting, and luckily have some unique permissions in an 1860's gold mining town that enable me to get onto what I think are some really interesting finds. The area's not really known for detectable gold so it's escaped a real hammering until I've got my hands on it! The soil's crazy mineralised so it's been a challenge to find settings that work, every time I change a parameter more finds leap out of ground that I've slammed before. My favourite finds are the chunky copper pre-1860 Victoria pennies and 1850's trader's tokens, I think they even edge out big silver for me...

• Like 2

Guessologist

I welcome you to the forum. So many people on here can help you but I’d like to hear more what you got going.

The help is a two way street in you maybe help us too .

The Best!

Chuck 

"G'day mate",

How are you going! Hope you have the esky with you! It's hot down there! Happy hunting, and glad your here!🦘🦘🦘🦘🦘🦘

Cheers, I'm normally posting on the Aussie forums but things can get a bit quiet over there! I'm currently working over my old demolished house sites with extremely detuned settings on the Nox which is quite interesting after running high sensitivity/reduced iron masking. All the good stuff is mixed in with nails, big iron and buckshot iron gravel, reading up on here about how others were dealing with EMI and interference gave me some good ideas. Taking some of Steve's comments about reducing sensitivity to heart and the extreme, I've dropped the sensitivity to 5, way lower than seems sensible, and just for giggles maxed out the FE2 which has been a winner. This combo's picking up near-surface iron masked coins that I've swept over many times before with no good tell. I haven't seen many guys running that low on the forums but the famous GT soils coupled with nail beds sounds calls for extraordinary settings I reckon.

Best find recently would have to be the 1873 gothic florin in my profile, it was only 4 inches down in pretty forgiving soil, by all rights I should have found it a year or so ago but I try not to be too systematic with gridding my sites since I'd like them to last...sustainable detecting?

florin.JPG

• Like 2

Sounds like you have a good handle on that area! Keep up the good work, and post your progress!👍

38 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Wow, now that's a nice coin, I'm yet to find an old silver Florin but it's on my bucket list 🙂 Out of interest do you remember what ID it was? 31/32?

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Thanks, I remember it being about 22-24 undisturbed, jumping to about 27-28 or so with a couple of inches of dirt off the top. Didn't check that one out of the ground but the couple of other .925 florins I've encountered were in the 31-33 range for sure.

• Like 1

Quote......... My favourite finds are the chunky copper pre-1860 Victoria pennies and 1850's trader's tokens, I think they even edge out big silver for me...

When it comes to coin hunting I agree with you. Those Trader Token are very rare I have few my-self and short of gold they are my favourite finds. There are a few tokens that are priceless in the 5 digits mark. Welcome, good to see you get of the fence and join in.😀