2nd Machine And Frequencies

Mada

Hi all

If I'm using a vlf/lf that is over 40khz, is there any benefit to getting a 2nd machine that runs under 40 kHz when prospecting? Assume PI is not possible at the moment. Does a sub 40 bring anything special to the table? I'm a beginner so just curious

Thanks

Hi Phrunt

You're right, I should have explained myself better. I currently have a Sea Hunter Mk2 I use at the beach and snorkeling. My partner has the GB2 to go prospecting. I'm looking at getting a prospecting machine and was wondering whether I should look at a lower frequency machine such as the xterra705, Equinox etc? Is the GM1000 sufficiently different to the GB2......? I'm working on the assumption that if we're out together a different machine may help fill the gaps.

Thanks for that Phrunt. I think I read on this forum that anything over the 30-40 khz were pretty similiar that's why I was thinking maybe something like the xterra 705 gold or something similar under 20 khz

Personally, even though I really liked the X-Terra Gold 705, it cannot approach the versatility or excellence of the Equinox 800.

Jeff

• Like 2

Higher frequencies will produce the best air tests on all gold targets. However, higher frequencies also react more to the ground and hot rocks. Lower frequencies lose some "depth" in air tests, in particular as regards the smaller targets. However, lower frequencies are also less reactive to the ground and to hot rocks. This means that lower frequencies can be of benefit for a VLF detector in severe ground and hot rocks. You basically give up some theoretical gold sensitivity in return for less reactivity to the ground and the hot rocks. If the ground is so bad it makes the higher sensitivity machine unusable this is a decent trade. You will still do ok on the larger gold, leading to some misunderstanding that lower frequencies are better on large nuggets. Well, sort of, but generally only in very bad ground. Keep in mind most gold is small so going low frequency just to chase large gold is not the best strategy. If that is the idea, get a PI detector. I suppose if you were on a tight budget trying to hunt large gold in very bad ground a low frequency VLF would be a possibility, but a White's TDI SL is an affordable and better PI option for such situations. It’s not a black and white answer type thing though. I could see a lower frequency VLF being the better option over a PI in a high mineral/high trash area.

You did not mention but it seems like you may be wanting the detector for more than just gold nugget detecting. If that is so, general purpose lower frequencies like 12 -19 kHz are better options. If you are in a park you do not want extreme sensitivity to all the zillions of bits of tiny trash. General purpose machines are purposefully "less hot" for that very reason. If you actually want a general purpose machine that is a whole different can of worms I will ignore for the time being in favor of the original question. I will point out that your mention of the Equinox as a "lower frequency" machine is not entirely accurate since the 800 runs up to 40 kHz while also offering low frequency options.

Both the Minelab Gold Monster at 45 kHz and the new White's Goldmaster 24K at 48 kHz target that frequency range for giving the best balance of performance of the type of gold most U.S. prospectors are likely to encounter in quantity, especially now that most areas have been pounded with PI detectors. I wish I could tell you a low frequency VLF is a great option but it’s this basic truth we all have to deal with - the big nuggets get found first and PI blows VLF away in that regard.

The Gold Bug 2 at 71 kHz is the reigning master of tiny gold, but pays the price in poor penetration in bad ground. The real benefit however is both these newer machines are employing the very latest in digitally processed ground balancing that allows them to better work in ground where such high gain machines would previously have had more difficulty. This does not mean they equal PI detectors in that regard, as some people incorrectly assume. It's just that they do as good as machines in their class can do handling bad ground.

Both the Minelab Gold Monster and White's Goldmaster 24K have performance close enough that I consider them roughly equivalent and I am happy to use either. The choice should be made on the scales of simplicity versus adjustability. The Monster is made with as few controls and adjustments as is possible, whereas the 24K has more control options than most nugget detectors. The Monster may seem constraining to some and the 24K too complicated to others, so I recommend looking at the owners manuals for both at the links above when making the decision between them.

White's Goldmaster 24K Advanced Ground Tracking Explained

• Like 5

Mada, you asked some very good questions for a beginner. Let me offer a few thoughts regarding IN-GROUND performance. First off, there is NOT as much performance difference between frequencies as some advertising would imply. A properly tuned GBII (71khz) in MILD ground can find flakes of gold as small as 1/20 grain. But in MODERATE ground you will rarely find anything smaller than 1/10th grain, and then only at seriously reduced depth. My Goldmaster 24k (48 khz) can find 1/15th grainers in moderate ground, and it SCREAMS over 1/10th grainers. When it comes to actually finding gold, to be honest about it, there really is NOT much differance between 1/20th or  1/15th grainers or 1/10th grainers. Furthermore, the White's MXT (14 khz) with the 950 coil can find 1/4 grainers in moderate soil. To recap:  71 khz: 1/20 grain; 48 khz: 1/15th grain; 14 khz: 1/4 grain. It really would be splitting hairs at this point. But, there are other factors which far overshadow operating frequency, and these include the size and type of searchcoil, decibel output of headphones, operator expertise, sweep speed, etc. MY two-machine line-up: Goldmaster 24k and TDI-SL. Hope this helps; HH Jim

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jim McCulloch said:

there really is NOT much difference between 1/20th or  1/15th grainers or 1/10th grainers

Unless I’m finding them and you are not! :laugh: I’ll toss you a bone here Jim and say I sold my Gold Monster and kept my 24K. Why? For the simple reason I noted. I like control options and the 24K gives me that. By the way your comments about ground balance time on another forum are inaccurate however. My Monster took a few pumps/seconds max, not enough difference between it and the 24K to matter in my experience.

Oh, and the 24K slays the Monster for ergonomics, hands down, no comparison. Heck, it even comes with an adjustable length rod, will wonders never cease! :smile:

Shootout anyone? White's Goldmaster 24K 6" concentric coil, Minelab Equinox 800 6" DD coil, Gold Monster 1000 5" DD coil, Makro/Nokta Gold Kruzer 4" x 7" DD coil

whites-goldmaster-24k-minelab-equinox-800-gold-monster-1000-makro-nokta-gold-kruzer.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, old friend, I will fully acknowledge that I am as competitive as most others regarding total number count at the end of the day. To me, the FIRST nugget of the day is the most important, simply because Little Jimmy ain't going home smelling like skunk! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Simon, I am using my phone right now,  with a reduced size screen, but I believe my larger-screen  ID reveals that I'm a metal detector dealer. Primarily for White's, but I am also a sub- dealer for Minelabs and Garrett Distributor. Too bad NZ doesn't have a White's dealer, I know that you would LOVE the 24k if you had one. 

• Like 1