What's Best, Cruising Or Crawling? My Last Day Gold.

Nice gold guys!!!!!   I'm finding out lately I do better if I really slow down rather than covering more ground faster?  If nothing else if I slow down I can stumble onto some of those tiniest bits and sometimes avoid the skunk.  Like someone mentioned tho…. kinda depends where I'm at and how much time I have to expend there and also how well I know the location???

Already going stir crazy waiting for springtime...….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any of you actually move tailing piles to explore the ground underneath?  I think i need to do this.  I got one spot that i have been hitting off and on all summer, slow, different machines, gridded.  Nuggets have been found.  Only ground left is under those bowling ball and bigger sized tailings.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, fredmason said:

Well I just depend on the whims of the Gold Gods....

However, when that fails I return to the basics. 
Also, I often hunt where others walk/ride by.

but y’all find way more gold than me...

fred

I too like hunting near the roads as so many people walk right past them to get further away.   I did find 1 nugget on the trip and it was 4' from one of the main road that runs N/S. Yes I find more trash near the roads...but my ears can usually tell  by the pattern of the signal and it's strength/ width. 

10 hours ago, cobill said:

Gerry,

Great post and beautiful RP gold...you know that area better than most hunters. This year I crawled and gridded small areas using orange cones to mark off areas( Lunk's recommendation), overlapping by 1/2 or less and it works, if the gold is in the ground!:biggrin:

Like Mitchel, I may need some more training by the pros in those special RP areas.

Bill

I'm using the 7000 differently than when it 1st came out.  Just like any other detector,  the more time my Field Staff Experts and I have on a machine,  the better we become with fine tuning and overall performance of detector is being zeroed in. 

Glad you took his advice and scored a few. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LuckyLundy said:

Yep, it’s hard to explain what a slow swing is!  I tell fellow detectorist swing as if your Shoe/Boot Laces are tied together!  No one gets the last nugget in a good patch, slow over lapping swings will always produce one or more on each visit.  Even with the same machine, same settings as your last visit  “Every day is different” is my saying!  This is another hint, when swinging on any old patch in Gold Country!

Rick

Well said. 

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

No right or wrong, it purely depends on the situation. Are you trying to find a new patch, or trying to extract gold from a known patch? Are you hunting a natural gold patch, or highly disturbed ground like tailing piles?

Etc.....

You and I hunt pretty much the same way.  Knowing how to be flexible and changing styles can make you a better rounded hunter, especially when you know there is an old patch that can be methodically detected.   1st half of day is looking new ground.  If no gold,  go back to crawling on known gold ground. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

I hunt slowly. I concentrate on coil control and intuition. I crank the settings up but spend my time listening carefully. I always investigate signals that sound "different" or only sound off on one part of the swing. I usually find something.

When I find myself being sloppy in any of the above - I take a short break.

And then some days I just totally suck at everything and hope I get lucky...

Coil control is a major issue with most detectorist I run into.  Even a few of the customers my Staff and I trained....they still don't get it. Well said Flakmagnet.

5 hours ago, DigsAlot said:

Two points, first I would love to have found that amount of gold in a month. Second, good way to explain the difference between models of hunting. I slow only if I find two in an area. Otherwise it is patch hunting speed. I do need to try this 1/2 coil overlap. 

1/2 coil overlap...or more, is only when crawling...not cruising. 

2 hours ago, alaskaseeker said:

Stumbling slow and LISTEN...

Is it a drunken stumble?  Who cares as long as you are listening. 

I wear higher end headphones 99% of the time.   I always try to hear a worm fart.  Investigate and differing of Threshold when crawling.  I've dug some extremely deep nuggets with a 7000 and most folks walked over them.

Another part of listening.... I usually do better in morning and evening right after sunset.   My detector runs smoother and my ears can distinguish breaks in Threshold easier. 

49 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

Any of you actually move tailing piles to explore the ground underneath?  I think i need to do this.  I got one spot that i have been hitting off and on all summer, slow, different machines, gridded.  Nuggets have been found.  Only ground left is under those bowling ball and bigger sized tailings.  

When I was younger I did.   Not as much under them as I had hoped.   Usually when I hunt tailing piles I'm using a VLF detector.   Not always,  but usually.