What's Best, Cruising Or Crawling? My Last Day Gold.

Ok, I have an additional thought on how to describe some different words to get all I can out of different patches.  The word that came to mind tonight is thorough:

adjective: complete with regard to every detail; not superficial or partial

After I have worked an area can I say I was thorough?  (I could say yes but still miss nuggets because my hearing is bad!)

This is something that patient,  methodical people naturally possess and some of us have to work at it.  I would say a thorough job is certainly enhanced by working a patch at a crawl but all crawls don't make for thorough coverage.  Some people have a better crawl than others!   Thorough coverage which is nearly impossible on large areas includes a 3D+ search.  Sometimes patches don't have much depth and full coverage gets all the nuggets until an innovation in settings, coils and/or detectors makes it alive again with previously unseen (undetectable) nuggets.

Cruising is not thorough by definition.  When working a patch the Locate Patch (cruising settings) settings should not be used.

Mitchel

I use locate patch when being thorough.  

Like you posted the keywords are “patient” and “methodical.”  Two anyone can practice even when not detecting.

Lunk uses Locate Patch too.  Why isn't there a setting that says 'Work Patch?'  haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I'm sure I need to do like Chet has done with the Xcoil charts.  I need to take a few nuggets and bury them and see how deep I can hear them.  In the many training sessions I've had with folks we have never done this.  It seems obvious I should have spent more time on this on my own so that I know what different settings are capable of 'hearing' a faint signal.  It hasn't come 'naturally.'

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:42 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

I too like hunting near the roads as so many people walk right past them to get further away.   I did find 1 nugget on the trip and it was 4' from one of the main road that runs N/S. Yes I find more trash near the roads...but my ears can usually tell  by the pattern of the signal and it's strength/ width. 

My last day of trip, I actually started working around a road.To be honest, I wanted the variety of trash to help speed up the learning curve of differentiating target sounds with my new machine. Pulled a nugget right by the road. was laughing to myself remembering you telling just a couple days earlier how you were looking around, not wanting someone to see you digging near road. I was doing the same thing. Something about it feels so wrong. 

• Thanks 1

Mitch,

Testing your machine on different setting on a natural nugget (not planted) is the best!  When you hunt with a Buddy or a group, have them call you over to a likely nugget before they disturb the ground over it.  You’ll need to, do this several times to feel you have the right settings for your Ears to hear.  Now you talk about a slow level coil swing!  This is important too, lots of times you will not hear a tone of a nugget if your swinging to fast.  Now, that slow swing is only for known patches...if your out and about Patch hunting your only looking for one nugget to get you dialed in to and area then slow down a little, but not a crawl...get them Ducks.  When all the easy nuggets are gone then the crawl swing.

Rick

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1