What's Best, Cruising Or Crawling? My Last Day Gold.

Quote.........Trip 4 I decided to go back to an area where I had noticed dig holes on an early trip and slowly and methodically cover every inch of the ground around them.

I find it hard to crawl and do virgin ground. I fill in my holes to prevent other from finding them and Crawling all over my PATCHES.  🤐

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BMesenko said:

I am naturally blessed with Patience & Persistence.

Incredibly valuable assets…!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Great thread you started, Gerry!  So much valuable info from so many experienced detectorists.  Thanks.

But there's an elephant in the room that apparently no one noticed, or noticed but is just too polite to mention.  Someone took on Lunk toe-to-toe and beat him!  That's a nugget few will ever find.  😁

Good catch GB.  It is an honor to be compared to Lunk.   The amount of hours he has on gold detectors has to be in the highest % in US.  Actually,  he pulls me 3 out of 5 times.  But then I've beat him by a nugget or two 2 days straight.   Then he'll hand me a 3 day whoop ass lesson.  It's all good in the end as we both respect each other,  our capabilities....and most importantly the friendship and commoraudery.   But thanks for noticing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1st off,  Thanks everyone for the time to comment and give input.  Certainly keep them as the knowledge being shared is great input for newer hunters and or even veteran detectorist who might want to try a different method. 

The pattern of informative comments I am seeing with GPZ-7000 is.  Most of the nuggets (not all), are found when crawling really slow with proper coil control over known gold patch.

Think of it like this as I tell my customers. "It is not about covering alot of ground as much as it is about covering the most proven ground very thoroughly."  When I'm swinging my detector,  I only think of,  listen to and concentrate on the immediate ground in front of me.  I don't worry about others around me or where I might hunt next?  When I start doing those things..it is time for a break.

Thanks everyone and keep sharing your thoughts/knowledge. 

• Like 7

Call me 'late to the party' but maybe, just maybe it is no longer possible to 'cruise' at Rye Patch?  haha 

I pulled my nuggets out of the trash the last couple of trips and you can't really cruise that either.  Crawling obviously produces more after all of these years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Call me 'late to the party' but maybe, just maybe it is no longer possible to 'cruise' at Rye Patch?  haha 

I pulled my nuggets out of the trash the last couple of trips and you can't really cruise that either.  Crawling obviously produces more after all of these years.

You might be late.....but at least you showed up.  I agree that 90% of Rye Patch detecting is best at a snail's pace. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2019 at 12:02 PM, LuckyLundy said:

Yep, it’s hard to explain what a slow swing is!  I tell fellow detectorist swing as if your Shoe/Boot Laces are tied together!  No one gets the last nugget in a good patch, slow over lapping swings will always produce one or more on each visit.  Even with the same machine, same settings as your last visit  “Every day is different” is my saying!  This is another hint, when swinging on any old patch in Gold Country!

Rick

Great topic.  If I am in an area where gold has been found before (within 1/4 mile) and there are my typical indicators, I will go as Lunk describes.  I will pretend my shoe laces are tied together and pretend I am a master painter covering 90% of that wash.  The more indicators I see and the more my intuition sets in, the slower I go.  But this is only for washes.  If I am scanning hillsides (not knowing if there is a gold in the washes below) I will go much faster.  I will not walk along the hillsides, however, without my coil to the ground.  I have stumbled on great gold with this small rule ...hillsides you would swear on your relatives grave there could not be gold there.  But there was. 😬

I started learning gold hunting on claims and for that, I did the slow hunting everywhere.  And that taught me the style of gold hunting that gets the bits others miss in their rush.  I believe this is really important to learn starting out.  But as I began hunting with others, there was a distinct advantage to really covering ground and covering only half of a prospective gold wash.  So many more gold areas can be found this way.  But I think you need to be able to go back and clean out those washes the slow way, once they are identified.  Some people can flip that switch and in my opinion, they are the most successful.   

So I see it as you need to be good at both methods and even better at deciding when to apply these methods.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all, I really appreciate that you all are willing to share, I have learned a great deal from this conversation. I will slow down to a crawl when I go out hunting nuggets next time (in a week in AZ for two weeks.) Thanks for this site. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2019 at 1:47 PM, MSC said:

Thanks all, I really appreciate that you all are willing to share, I have learned a great deal from this conversation. I will slow down to a crawl when I go out hunting nuggets next time (in a week in AZ for two weeks.) Thanks for this site. 

Keep us informed of your trip and progress in AZ.  Maybe someone who hunts your area well will chime in and start a new thread.    Good luck down there.