Vdi Change In Park 2?

Smithobx

I was reading a post on another forum and the poster stated that the VDI on deep silver dimes in Park 2 came in much lower than in Park 1. He was saying down in the single digits. I do not dig single digits or low double digits unless I am relic hunting or in an area where gold jewelry is a possibility. I have tested a 10 inch silver dime in Park 2, and although the VDI was more jumpy than a shallower target, it ranged between 19 to 27 with the primary numbers being 23 to 25. Has anyone experienced single digits on silver dimes or any silver coins? Not doubting the posters credibility just unable to duplicate his experience. 

1 hour ago, Smithobx said:

Has anyone experienced single digits on silver dimes or any silver coins? Not doubting the posters credibility just unable to duplicate his experience. 

Nope, not even close. I don’t believe it will happen normally with a properly operating Equinox. It is not impossible that the right combination of ground and multiple targets under the coil could produce such a result, especially if the dime is on edge, but I’m betting you can’t get a dime to read single digits.

Best Software Version Test I Have Seen

• Like 5

Honestly, when I hear reports like this, the first thing I think if it is a machine related issue is “bad coil”. The weak area to this day with metal detectors is coil variations that cause issues that people attribute to the detector itself. It’s an almost impossible area to nail down unless people have a duplicate coil available to swap out. I have to hope it’s less an issue with newer machines on modern production lines, but most manufacturers still have people laying windings into housings by hand.

On older detectors coil variation was always the dirty little secret in the industry.

• Like 1

The poster of that topic on another forum is an experienced detector user. I don't doubt his results in his soil but I do doubt that his buried 12" dime is laying flat. However, according to his post he checked the depth (by repositioning it?) a few months ago. So he has a recently buried 12" dime that could be on edge and he claims Park 2 is reading the target differently than Park 1 and his settings on Park 1 and Park 2 are the same, BUT Park 1 and Park 2 are inherently not the same in the first place. So.........I'd call that a one off and chalk it up to who knows what or he has messed with the new F2 settings without realizing it.

I have had some odd readings on high conductors on edge at depth but never had a single digit under 6 reading on a high conductor like a dime. 

Jeff

• Like 2