Do It Yourself Grip

I don’t really like the smooth handle on my Equinox so I wanted to add something to give it a little more cushion and grip.

I first thought of handle bar tape like they used on ten speed racer bikes back in the day but nobody seems to carry it, except maybe a bike shop. Besides, I thought it might have been too thick.

I settled on cloth Athletic Tape that I found at Walmart. It’s super thin, 1.5” wide, has a sticky back and only cost $2.97. If it gets torn or dirty, I can just change it like a bandage. I figure I can get about 15 applications out of the 30’ roll!

f2fecba9-1f09-412a-b62f-dfc968d2a253_1.c6a4354db20dedaae90179a60286b244.jpeg

20191031_124220.jpg

182eef0a-aab3-4379-976e-a338385939ae_1.de9fd265dd966bde5ff7bd8595b6ebbe.jpeg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

I use a cushion wrap they use for tennis rackets. It works great.

Ditto.  Here's what I've used at the end of handles on picks to keep them from slipping out of my hand or just to allow me a lighter grip (and a free-er swing):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014GH8D6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May be too thick to put on top of already existing detector grip, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

May be too thick to put on top of already existing detector grip, though

Nope. At least not for me and I am on the small side. The cushioning makes the grip pretty comfortable. :smile:

That's a good material to use, IMO, Bohemia Miner; thanks for sharing.  I used to use that athletic tape, or something similar (vet wrap), in black -- and it works well for me.  Like you say, when it gets dirty, it's so easy to just remove and re-wrap.  Recently I was turned on to a "handle tape" made by the Winn company (a well-known company for golf club grips).  This wrap that they make, is actually a fishing-rod handle wrap, but it works very nicely.  It is cushioned, so a bit thicker -- and thus it makes your handle a bit thicker, but if that's not an issue for you, it's really nice stuff (it would be more similar to the tennis racket handle tape that someone else mentioned).  Winn offers this tape in many colors, including a red/white/black pattern that is sort of "camo-ish," that looks pretty good on the EQX, in my opinion.

Here's a picture of the grip, on my machine (with one of my red carbon-fiber shafts)...

Steve

redshaft.JPG

• Like 3

On 10/31/2019 at 5:05 PM, phrunt said:

I don't wear gloves and I find the smooth handle of the Equinox nice,

Same here Simon, I really don't know why someone would want a cushion to make your hands sweat.

9 hours ago, 2Valen said:

I really don't know why someone would want a cushion to make your hands sweat.

Hi 2Valen, ( it's because I do wear gloves) best...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

Hi 2Valen, ( it's because I do wear gloves) best...

So do I!

Thanks!

Walt

• Like 1

I have the racquet wrap on my picks....it is easier to dig with....but, I have larger hands than some.

If I wear gloves I cut part of the fingers of to increase dexterity...and the gloves keep my hands warm when clod and free of flys when the little buggers are out.

The handles on my 7000 and 800 and just a little small for tape...so, they are naked.

fred