Sign in to follow this  
Hard Prospector

Pin Pointers

Looking to get a new pin pointer (to assist in nugget shooting) as mine is 7 years old. There must be better more sensitive ones available these days. Input would be much appreciated......Thanks!

I am currently using the Garrett Pro Pointer AT (although not for nugget hunting), and after an initial problem with the switch that Garrett quickly fixed, it has been perfect and I am not shy about being rugged with it. You do have to actually learn how to change the sensitivity and so on, but it's good.

• Like 1

Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Waterproof, AKA Garrett carrot, love it. (Most of the nuggets I chase are chunky.)

If you're after tiny gold, Falcon Gold Tracker MD20; I've had lots of fun cleaning up bedrock with the MD20 finding tiny gold pieces my standard detector would take forever to sniff out individually. (The MD20 makes quick work of hitting on each individual piece.)

So, I guess it depends on the size of gold you'll be chasing . . .

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 2

I have a Garrett Carrot AT and love it, I bought a Whites TRX as reviews claimed it to be great so I thought it might be even better than my Carrot and was disappointed with it. It's not near as sensitive as my Carrot and less depth on coins too.   The Carrot will pinpoint reasonable size gold, 0.5 of a gram and above it does reasonable on getting better the bigger.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

I have a Garrett Carrot AT and love it, I bought a Whites TRX as reviews claimed it to be great so I thought it might be even better than my Carrot and was disappointed with it. It's not near as sensitive as my Carrot and less depth on coins too.   The Carrot will pinpoint reasonable size gold, 0.5 of a gram and above it does reasonable on getting better the bigger.

That’s really odd Phrunt. I found my TRX so sensitive I have to run it on power setting three. Also air tests deeper than my carrot. You might want to have it checked at White’s service center. 

• Like 3

Thats what I'm trying to decide;  the Garrett Pro Pointer AT or White's TRX.  Looking like a 50/50 split so far. Lets keep this discussion rolling !

I have the Profind 35, initial ones were sent back for replacement this current one works well and has a bit of iron discrim. It is pretty sensitive to small foil and jewelry, no nuggets in my neck of the woods to test it on :(

Was thinking of the Fisher F-point which is pulse which would good for my beach hunting but not sure how good those are.

I also have the profind 35. About all I can say is it works fine. It's the only one I've owned so can't compare it to anything else. 

• Like 1

I'm the same as Lacky.  Profind 35.  Only one I've had.   Works fine.  

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Tnsharpshooter
      According to this thread.Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links
      I have looked at Xp's site, no update posted, still Feb 2017 version.
      This link here may be related to the why behind update.
      http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/537969-mi-6-led-charging-manual-typo.html
      It may be the only thing Xp needs to do is change the date of the manual on their sites.
      I could be wrong though.
    • By Metalman
      Hi there, is it normal that on air and on the ground my nokta pulse dive can't find my 18k wedding ring???
    • By Edsped
      This little thing actually kills it!
      My cousin and I have been using the pulse dive in salt water exclusively and although it has a small coil, the ability to swing this thing like mad hugely make up for that fact!
      So far I’ve found the design/ quality of the PulseDive to be very ideal for salt water hunting.  The machine simply beeps and buzzes in your hand, is easily audible  through the water and there is practically no maintenance other than just cleaning the rubber seal/gasket every now and then but there is no knobs, cables, headphones or anything that I can see deteriorating on this detector.
      Depth is definitely surprising when digging targets but still decent in air tests with a nickel/10c Aussie coin hitting at 4” air test and depending on minerals in the sand it’ll hit deeper 5-6” even due to its non-motion nature.
      Anyone who wants to try water detecting I highly recommend trying the PulseDive, the small size and lack of headphones make it ridiculously convenient and even stealthy if you want to be discrete or are a bit shy! 
      This isn’t really a review but just a quick mention of what I think is important to know about the machine 👍
      Here is the gold we’ve found on the last few outings 👊👊👊 
      Pulsedive Scuba Detector & Pinpointer

• By Sigfla
      I am trying to decide on my first PP. Its between a Garrett AT Pro, Minelab 35, or Pulse Dive. The primary use is probably on land with some use at the beach as well. Maybe a 70/30 split between the 2. I like the Pulse Dive bc I also scuba and having that ability is a plus. The Garrett being US based was my first choice as it appears to be the most common in use these days. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. If it makes any difference I am using a Minelab 600. 
    • By Againstmywill
      I just sent two of my orange Pro-Pointers in because they were falsing badly. I had taken one apart and was unable to make it work. In fact, I really messed it up to the point it was a hopeless cause. The capacitor was bad on that one, and I assume it was the same thing for the other one as well. Garrett took care of me and gave me a new outside and inside (they both look new, so I'm not sure if the guts are new or fixed. Anyway, for the repair and shipping back to me, it was $80 total. Great customer service! 
    • By Erik Oostra
      How does the PI-iKing compare to other scuba detectors?
      My son is forever dropping things from his yacht (including keys, phones, tools, fishing rods, spearguns etc).. Although he’s a good scuba diver and spear-fisherman, where his yacht is anchored at the mouth of a tidal river the visibility is always close to zero.. Although he’s had a couple of successful duck-dives, he’s found the best way to recover lost metallic items has been to attach a powerful Neodymium recovery magnet (pulling force of 68 kg) to a rope and trawling it behind his tender.. I must admit his ingenuity surprised me, he definitely doesn’t get that from me (just the butter-fingers)..
      But however good ‘magnet fishing’ turns out to be, he’d like a cheap waterproof detector to increase his recovery arsenal.. there’s no way that I’ll lend him my Equinox (it hasn’t even arrived yet).. but if he gets a PI-iKing I will borrow it for here on the island (could be just what I’m looking for to search under the jetty at Picnic Bay and shallow wrecks).. This thing is waterproof to -30 metres and runs at 20.28 kHz.. I’m not sure why they call it a Pulse Induction detector? Could that be true? Or do they add ‘PI’ to the label just to entice suckers like me?