Sign in to follow this  

Looking to get a new pin pointer (to assist in nugget shooting) as mine is 7 years old. There must be better more sensitive ones available these days. Input would be much appreciated......Thanks!

I am currently using the Garrett Pro Pointer AT (although not for nugget hunting), and after an initial problem with the switch that Garrett quickly fixed, it has been perfect and I am not shy about being rugged with it. You do have to actually learn how to change the sensitivity and so on, but it's good.

• Like 1

Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Waterproof, AKA Garrett carrot, love it. (Most of the nuggets I chase are chunky.)

If you're after tiny gold, Falcon Gold Tracker MD20; I've had lots of fun cleaning up bedrock with the MD20 finding tiny gold pieces my standard detector would take forever to sniff out individually. (The MD20 makes quick work of hitting on each individual piece.)

So, I guess it depends on the size of gold you'll be chasing . . .

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 2

I have a Garrett Carrot AT and love it, I bought a Whites TRX as reviews claimed it to be great so I thought it might be even better than my Carrot and was disappointed with it. It's not near as sensitive as my Carrot and less depth on coins too.   The Carrot will pinpoint reasonable size gold, 0.5 of a gram and above it does reasonable on getting better the bigger.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

I have a Garrett Carrot AT and love it, I bought a Whites TRX as reviews claimed it to be great so I thought it might be even better than my Carrot and was disappointed with it. It's not near as sensitive as my Carrot and less depth on coins too.   The Carrot will pinpoint reasonable size gold, 0.5 of a gram and above it does reasonable on getting better the bigger.

That’s really odd Phrunt. I found my TRX so sensitive I have to run it on power setting three. Also air tests deeper than my carrot. You might want to have it checked at White’s service center. 

• Like 3

Thats what I'm trying to decide;  the Garrett Pro Pointer AT or White's TRX.  Looking like a 50/50 split so far. Lets keep this discussion rolling !

I have the Profind 35, initial ones were sent back for replacement this current one works well and has a bit of iron discrim. It is pretty sensitive to small foil and jewelry, no nuggets in my neck of the woods to test it on :(

Was thinking of the Fisher F-point which is pulse which would good for my beach hunting but not sure how good those are.

I also have the profind 35. About all I can say is it works fine. It's the only one I've owned so can't compare it to anything else. 

• Like 1

I'm the same as Lacky.  Profind 35.  Only one I've had.   Works fine.  

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 1515Art
      it seems the biggest weakness of the GPZ is the lack of any reliable discrimination other than a best guess as to depth due to the double target response. My Whites SST will power up in seconds and is a great detector with excellent iron discrimination and may even give an accurate iron response in proximity to the GPZ, but its not practical to carry both. my question is there a small lightweight detector that would compliment the GPZ mainly by giving the operator a second look that reads for an iron signal on the target in question, something like a pin pointer with some decent depth made for iron.
    • By Hobo
      Has anyone tried using a Sunray probe for small nugget hunting? It seems to me that a sunray probe attatched to shaft of a GB Pro or a F75 would work great in places where a larger coil would be too big, like in cracks and around rocks. Since the Sunray workes off of the detectors control box it should have good depth and sensitivity.
    • By Oiwon
      After much deliberation I finally pulled the trigger on the Nokta/Makro pulse dive. My old pp crapped out and this seemed like a logical choice for me because A: it's a waterproof pinpointer and B: it doubles as an underwater hand-held detector. I've constantly been gathering feedback online about this machine as it had sparked my curiosity from the first glance. It arrived Wed in a nice heavy duty carrying case. The case isn't something I would lug around, but it is perfect for garage/closet storage. (or just a cool decoration on my cabinet)
      Taking into consideration the carrying case, the versatility, the pp coil-cover and the waterproofness it seemed like a good bargain, and I must say, 160 bucks and a few days later I still feel that way. 
      It definitely doesn't feel like a toy.. (but it's as fun as one) You can tell some thought went in to this thing when you pick it up and start pushing buttons and connecting and disconnecting things. No it doesn't have the depth that a nox or a fisher has, but having had one, I believe it exceeds the depth of a garrett carrot. What do you expect? It's a smaller handheld device. I have to admit that what i saw from the air tests, and lack of air tests online left me feeling underwhelmed and hesitant, however since powering it up the first time I have been pleasantly surprised by its responsiveness. I have tested it on several gold and silver pieces of jewelry we have here and it was able to pick them all up. No this isn't a fine tooth comb, and perhaps there are things it will miss, but it also doesn't discriminate - i mean you can come up with a hundred things it's not, and it wont do. Let me tell you what it has done for me so far. It has solved my lack of a pinpointer problem. It has made my underwater searching way easier and allowed me to cover more ground and recover targets faster. I no longer have to lug around my nox in the rolling waves if I don't want to. I can easily swing my arm around under water while i kneel, crawl, float, lay on my belly, or swim around.
      Maybe I hit the jackpot when I took it to the beach today and 5 minutes into my first hunt, found my first target, a beautiful diamond or diamond-ish ring. (GF already stole it from me - see pics below.) 
      It was about 3 - 4 inches below the sand under about 3 feet of water. 
      Most fun i've had detecting in a long time. Not an excal. Not a sandshark. Just a fun way to search for stuff while you swim. Now I have only taken it out once and plan to add some more updates as i continue use in the future but wanted to share this with the community for those who might be interested and those who may be on the fence. In my opinion if you are considering spending $100+ on a PP why not get something with a bit more utility? Especially if you mess around in the wet water stuff like i do. 
      Seems durable. Nice weight to it. The vibrate function and sound works very well. The coil attachments are very easy to take on and off. It also came with a lanyard that i conveniently hooped around my wrist. Just dont forget to put the waterproof cap back on the bottom after charging - before you leave the house and walk to the beach, otherwise you will have to walk all the way back to the house to get it and then walk all the way back to the beach again. Anyways, i had a blast and I cant wait to take it for another spin. Don't really understand all the negative feedback i've seen online, though it's still early. If you are considering getting one and your expectations are realistic, i think you will be pleasantly surprised. The lil lady says she wants to get one as well. 
      I can't really speak about how it compares to the Quest handheld or other similar style detectors because I haven't used them. Also i am not affiliated with this company nor any other company.
      Cheers and HH all

• By mh9162013
      A while ago, I posted about a using a Minelab Pro-Find 35 without a 9V battery. You can read more about it here: 
      But I wanted to run the modification with NiMH batteries. However, due to space constraints in the Pro-Find, this was not possible without modifying the internal battery compartment (which I didn't want to do b/c it would void the warranty, I'm sure). So instead, the Pro-Find runs off of a LiPo cell.
      Well, I got a hold of a Garrett Carrot (Pro-Pointer AT) and given the extra space for the battery, I was able to run the 9V booster off of 3 LSD NiMH AAA cells. Works like a charm! The advantage is that I don't have to worry about "babying" the LiPo cell and worry about storing it with too little charge or anything like that.
      Not much else to say, except show you the pictures.

• By phrunt
      A few weeks ago I lost my Garrett Carrot AT when detecting down at a local river, I didn't realise it was lost until it was long gone, I tried for a couple of days to walk the same path to find it but never did so I decided I'd buy another one and some gadgets to prevent me losing it too.
      I have the standard belt holder for my Carrot but didn't like it, too high on my body for my Carrot to sit so it kept getting banged.
      I first tried my Minelab finds bag to look after it, it appears to have Carrot holders on the side of it but it doesn't fit well which makes it difficult to get in and out and has no clip for a lanyard. It sits really high on the bag too and gets in the way of my elbows.

So I hunted around on Ebay and found a Chinese made finds bag for a good price and it had a clip and fits the Carrot much better, the bag has more features and better quality too

I like it's drink bottle holder pouch. A zip up pocket for the important stuff and a big area for the junk with holes to let out the dirt.  It was about $15 USD delivered.
      Then I stumbled across bike torch mounts so I bought a few of them thinking I'll mount my carrot on my shaft 😀

They worked fine but again, difficult to get it in and out but there was another model available that looked better.

The top is firm rubber and lets you get the Carrot in and out easily and they're only about $1 USD each with free shipping to NZ.

They hold stable and won't be lost like this, I don't notice the weight, some might...  I can use a torch in them for night detecting too if I wish.
      And the best news bit of this story, I found my original lost Carrot today down at the river while testing my new T2, it's in that photo on my Equinox shaft after I got it back... lucky it's waterproof as it's been through a lot of rain and snow.  
      If anyone has a better method of not losing a Pinpointer I'd be interested in hearing it.

• By Steve Herschbach
      Two unique pulse induction pinpointers/detectors compared....