Pin Pointers

I am currently using the Garrett Pro Pointer AT (although not for nugget hunting), and after an initial problem with the switch that Garrett quickly fixed, it has been perfect and I am not shy about being rugged with it. You do have to actually learn how to change the sensitivity and so on, but it's good.

Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Waterproof, AKA Garrett carrot, love it. (Most of the nuggets I chase are chunky.)

If you're after tiny gold, Falcon Gold Tracker MD20; I've had lots of fun cleaning up bedrock with the MD20 finding tiny gold pieces my standard detector would take forever to sniff out individually. (The MD20 makes quick work of hitting on each individual piece.)

So, I guess it depends on the size of gold you'll be chasing . . .

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

I have a Garrett Carrot AT and love it, I bought a Whites TRX as reviews claimed it to be great so I thought it might be even better than my Carrot and was disappointed with it. It's not near as sensitive as my Carrot and less depth on coins too.   The Carrot will pinpoint reasonable size gold, 0.5 of a gram and above it does reasonable on getting better the bigger.

That’s really odd Phrunt. I found my TRX so sensitive I have to run it on power setting three. Also air tests deeper than my carrot. You might want to have it checked at White’s service center. 

• Like 2

I have the Profind 35, initial ones were sent back for replacement this current one works well and has a bit of iron discrim. It is pretty sensitive to small foil and jewelry, no nuggets in my neck of the woods to test it on :(

Was thinking of the Fisher F-point which is pulse which would good for my beach hunting but not sure how good those are.

I also have the profind 35. About all I can say is it works fine. It's the only one I've owned so can't compare it to anything else. 

• Like 1

For everyday use the original Garrett is the main one that i shoot from the hip but not necessary my favourite/s,i also use the DX-1 probe on my DFX which is still use but of course being tethered to just the one detector then although its a top pinpointer is some what restricted use wise.I also use the  detectorpro-uniprobe headphones that have the pinpointer built into the headphones but although they are sensitive and deep i feel the extra cable to the probe from the headphones is a little restrictive,so dont use them as much as i could do but they can be used on most detectors and not as detector specific as the DX-1 probes that are limited to just the Whites DFX/MXT and M6 machines.

But the good old original Garrett probe till keeps working for me even after all these years and when this one finally does go to the great detecting grave yard i will buy another one as well.