Smallest, Cheapest Shovel?

Looking to add a shovel to my arsenal. Want a small footprint and at this point don't need anything to heavy duty as I'm not really searching anywhere with much roots. Just need something bigger and a little tougher than my trowel. Oh, and it also needs to be reasonably priced.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I have a small spade shorty shovel like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Bond-LH015-Mini-Handle-Shovel/dp/B000X47NJY/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=short+spade+shovel&qid=1574897396&sr=8-4

It is pretty cheap, very tough and really light.

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/Bond-LH015-Mini-Handle-Shovel/dp/B000X47NJY/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=short+spade+shovel&qid=1574897396&sr=8-4

I use this exact shovel.  In fact, I'm on my second one.  I absentmindedly left the first one at a site that I could only reach by boat.  I wasn't going back after it. But I sure did miss it.  It's very light and very well built, better than ones from the hardware store.

I sharpened it up a bit on a light grinding wheel.  And use a heat gun to quickly remove the horrible sticker that is slapped on it from the vendor.  Folks trying to use googone are in for some frustation.

Home Depot has a small shovel I use.

Which begs the question,  why the hell did you spend $110 or whatever on the fancy one? Detectors and coils we are stuck paying for, but it baffles me why people spend so much on common item accessories.  Anything "specialized" for detecting is 10x as much and apparently not much or any better.

Or I'm just cheap (hint-I definitely am)

Btw Simon friction tape on the handle grip and some paint will solve your pink issue.

• Like 1

You might want to take a look at the Root Slayer Nomad. It’s available on Amazon for $39.00, lifetime warranty and very tough. A bit longer so you don’t need to bend as much while digging and doubles as a walking staff if that’s important to you.

I spent about $80 for the Lesche Ground Shark which is a good digger and makes smaller holes. Got that because it handles roots pretty good but the little bond shovel is much lighter. Almost tempted to put some saw teeth on the edges. Think I paid few bucks more because I got it at a local family owned garden shop, don't mind they need to eat too.