• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By alaskaseeker
      Im back home again, heres a few nuggets ive banged in from various places in Ak
    • By Smithsgold
      Sniping & Crevicing for Gold Nuggets

Join Prospector's Gary AKA (Two Toe's) and Jeff (Smithsgold) as they embark on another Adventure to find the Mother Lode. Gold Nuggets are there Target and they will work the Bedrock Crevices above and Below the water to find there Treasure. Sniping for Gold underwater is one of my favorite ways to find Gold and sometimes the most rewarding.
      ( SG 013 )
    • By phrunt
      Today I had to drop my wife and daughter at the airport in Queenstown near JW's house, they're off to Australia for a week to see family.  It's too hot for me this time of year over there so I decided I'd stay home.  JW had the day off work today due to the weather so we decided we'd go for a detect, it's been wild weather lately.. so much for summer, fresh snow on all the mountains this morning and during the day the snow kept coming down.  By the end of the day the mountains had a good coating.  My wife's flight ended up being delayed over six hours due to the weather so they had a boring time at the airport waiting while JW and I were out detecting.

The snow was building throughout the day.  This was not long after we arrived, much more by the time we left.
      This area is known as my nemesis, I've only ever found gold here twice, once was with my Gold Bug Pro when I first started prospecting and another time was when I first got my 12x6" X-Coil also using the QED, both tiny bits of gold.  I've struggled to use my GPX at this location as it's right next to power lines and the area is riddled with hot rocks, really annoying hot rocks, the QED handles the power lines fine.  The hot rocks combined with millions of shot gun pellets make this area a nightmare for VLF's too.  I consider it the hardest place for me to find gold out of my known prospecting areas.  It does however have gold, and the gold is often very small stuff, it's a real challenge for me here.
      I wanted to try the new 15x10" GPX X-Coil this time as last time with the 12x6" X-Coil I spent a lot of time digging shotgun pellets, I was hoping the bigger coil may just be big enough to ignore the pellets but still be sensitive enough to find some of the tiny gold.
      The hot rocks aren't all big either, a lot of them are tiny

This is from dragging my pick magnet across the ground for a few seconds.
      The area is quite the challenge to swing a coil too, very bushy and rocky.

The growth of the plant life has gotten a lot worse since I was last here a month or so ago

The rocky areas are often old tailings piles, a majority of them aren't worth detecting though as they're just rocks, no soils involved.  This one above wasn't too bad but had no gold unfortunately.

There was plenty of the hot rocks in this area giving me grief.  I couldn't run at this location in Mode 11 (No ground balance) as it made the hot rocks so much worse, nutting off all over the place so I stuck with Mode 1, the most sensitive of the ground balanced modes and it mostly handled the tiny hot rocks fine but the bigger ones still set it off.  You can't just kick them away unfortunately as a lot of them are buried.
      I did managed to find one bit of gold, at first I dug a hot rock but after removing it the signal continued, there was actually two signals after I removed the hot rock however whatever the second signal was it dropped down further into the rock pile to be lost forever.

I'm up quite high on a cliff edge here, you'll see the flooded river below, it's usually a really nice blue water but during flood it goes brown.  You'll see the area I dug out to get my little nugget, I have no idea of the depth of it as I may have initially been tricked by the hot rock.

It's a tiny little thing, It had a nice target signal though.  I didn't expect at the time for it to be gold as I thought the signal was too good, I was expecting another hot rock.

0.072 of a gram.
      The afternoon was getting pretty wet, we were at it rain, hail and shine, the weather kept changing.  At one point the hail hurt, got me right in the eyeball!

I just put a plastic bag over the QED to keep it dry, same with the speaker and rear control box.  Someone needs to make waterproof covers for it 🙂
      That was it for me, I was too wet, I went to see how JW was doing, he of course did better than me with his GPZ / 10" X-Coil combination, I truly believe that combination should be illegal, it makes it unfair on the rest of us   I'm sure he'll let you folks know how he did, one of his bits gave me a shock.
      There has been a bit of talk with people asking if the X-coils are bump sensitive, seeing my gain and sensitivity settings are on maximum I figure if anyone is going to get bump sensitivity it's going to be me and I get absolutely none so I recorded a video showing it, the video also shows me testing the response on my little nugget after I found it.
      I really like the 15x10" X-Coil, it's such a sensitive coil with good ground coverage.

• By mn90403
      Gold found!
      A 102.3g nugget found with a metal detector and drilling to come.

https://stockhead.com.au/resources/lefroy-hits-visible-gold-in-maiden-drilling-at-hang-glider-hill/
    • By geof_junk
      No it worth a bit more. 🤣

• By mlgdave
      Yesterday which was Sunday November 24th while everyone else was watching football I was underground detecting for pockets of crystallized gold 🙂