GPX 5000 Special Menu

Hi, Just after some clarification re the Soil/Timings switch please.

Should I be able to access the Special menu on the rear LCD panel from all three Soil/Timings switch positions (Special, Normal and Enhance)?

I was under the impression that access to the Special menu is, or should normally be, locked out when the front Soil/Timing switch is set to Normal or Enhance and only opens when the front switch is set to Special. 

I only noticed after returning from my last prospecting trip that I have access to the Special menu from all 3 front switch settings. That gives me 3 versions of Sensitive Smooth, and 3 of each of all the rest. 18 different choices that are distinctly different in sensitivity, tone loudness and target response (hi/low, low/hi)

Reassurance please. Thanks!

Hi, Just after some clarification re the Soil/Timings switch please.

Should I be able to access the Special menu on the rear LCD panel from all three Soil/Timings switch positions (Special, Normal and Enhance)?

Yes that is quite normal

I was under the impression that access to the Special menu is, or should normally be, locked out when the front Soil/Timing switch is set to Normal or Enhance and only opens when the front switch is set to Special.

No, the special menu is not locked out

I only noticed after returning from my last prospecting trip that I have access to the Special menu from all 3 front switch settings. That gives me 3 versions of Sensitive Smooth, and 3 of each of all the rest. 18 different choices that are distinctly different in sensitivity, tone loudness and target response (hi/low, low/hi)

No it does not give you three versions of Sensitive smooth or Fine Gold or any of the special timings

The Special Timings only work when the Front switch is in the Special position.

Reassurance please. Thanks!

Hope that sorts it out for you

Mal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mal, thank you for clarifying those questions. I have not run a 5000 for years now but I always remember the needlessly misleading and confusing nomenclature that was so easily avoidable.

• Like 3

Just remember you can only ever be running in one Timing option, so if the Special selection in the menu says Fine Gold, but your front panel switch is sitting on Normal, then you are not in Fine Gold. 

The first sentence in the instruction manual about the Special timings is pretty good: "You can select which timings will be activated by the Special switch on the control panel."    

Get a label maker, and on the smallest font setting write MENU SELECT and stick it above Special. That will aid as a good reminder that the Special position is tied in with the timing selection in the menu. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thank you everyone for your knowledge and reassurance. With all the choices the GPX 5000 already gives me I am very glad I don’t have an extra dozen to contend with!

Although, could have had it’s uses....OK, I’m stopping right there!

Thanks again 👍

On 11/8/2019 at 4:03 AM, flakmagnet said:

Hi Mal, thank you for clarifying those questions. I have not run a 5000 for years not but I always remember the needlessly misleading and confusing nomenclature that was so easily avoidable.

Thanks flackmagnet and others, happy I could help out.

The 5000 menus are not that intuitive, that’s for sure.

Mal

Hey Guys,

Great thread on timing.  This has always been the most confusing issue with the GPX series.  I wish Minelab would of allowed the Special timings and Special menu on the LCD screen to be blanked out when you're not in Special on the toggle switch on the front panel.  Many customers of mine over the years get confused on this, being in Normal on the Toggle Switch, but thinking cause the LCD menu screen says they are in Fine Gold, Sensitive Extra ..... and such.  

When you're in Normal on the Toggle, you will only be in Normal timing.  When you are in Enhance timing on the Toggle, you will only be in Enhance.  However, when you place the Toggle switch to Special, then you can use the 4 timings on the GPX 4500 or the 6 timings on the GPX 5000 in the menu screen.  

I think this is the most confusing thing Minelab did on the GPX series in my opinion.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Rob Allison said:

Great thread on timing.  This has always been the most confusing issue with the GPX series.  I wish Minelab would of allowed the Special timings and Special menu on the LCD screen to be blanked out when you're not in Special on the toggle switch on the front panel.  Many customers of mine over the years get confused on this, being in Normal on the Toggle Switch, but thinking cause the LCD menu screen says they are in Fine Gold, Sensitive Extra ..... and such.  

When you're in Normal on the Toggle, you will only be in Normal timing.  When you are in Enhance timing on the Toggle, you will only be in Enhance.  However, when you place the Toggle switch to Special, then you can use the 4 timings on the GPX 4500 or the 6 timings on the GPX 5000 in the menu screen.  

I think this is the most confusing thing Minelab did on the GPX series in my opinion. 

I rest my case...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I would think it's reasonable in a $20 Chinese electronic toy gadget, it's certainly not acceptable in such a high priced item.

I agree. If you tried to make it confusing, you would have a hard time doing better than the original...

It reminds me of something a British Director told me years ago. He said he saw a box being unloaded in London by the military. It had stenciled on it:

"Bottom marked top to avoid confusion."