Vaquero Find

Old farm?

If you got a pair of headphones, listen for the shorter softer sounds. Junk usually has a pop to the beginning and end of the tone, better stuff has a round sound to it, soft-louder-soft. If you have a DD the only thing that might throw you off is steel bottle caps as they sound bit like quarters. 

In open fields with a DD on my Tesoro I set my discrimination so iron nails will just chirp and approach the target at angles if there is a spike to make sure nothing is masked. Parks and modern areas where there is can slag you may need to nudge it up to the foil line.

12 hours ago, kac said:

Old farm?

No. Actually a city park. Not sure why it is where it is.

How long ago would you say this was used?  Depth and location are NOT very helpful?

This is what I like about this. Sometimes it isn't WHAT we find but the mystery of WHERE and WHY.

The part looks like it was from some old farm equipment. Hard to tell how old because iron gets that crust and seems to stay that way for a long time and depends so many factors. The park could have fill or was once a farm. If it was a farm then look on old maps and see if it was hay fields or picked crops. Pick crops should have some old coins.

You can do some reverse electrolysis on it to take the rust off, might be a marking on it.