Coin To Coin: Gofind 44 Easily Beats Gold Bug Pro

In another forum Steve spotlights the importance of beach-detecting in highly populated areas.. this got me thinking as on the island the crowds are usually pretty dispersed (as the pic above shows).. However 3 other bays have got 'stinger nets' to keep out dangerous jellyfish (and sharks).. on the island i can't think of a more highly concentrated number of coin and jewellery droppers.. 

The picture below shows the stinger net at Horseshoe Bay.. don't know what time of the day it was taken but when i saw it last it was pretty packed.. the posty hasn't arrived with the Equinox as yet..  

LIFEGUARD_AT_HORSESHOE-1024x573.png

• Like 1

The Equinox 600 arrived yesterday.. WHAT AN INCREDIBLE MACHINE.. I took it for a spin at Alma Bay not expecting to find much more as i was pretty certain the Chinese GBP had already cleaned it out.. MORE FOOL ME! Within 15 minutes I'd found my FIRST GOLD RING then a few minutes later another ring followed by a a cross necklace.. as well as a few coins that i'd obviously missed before.. This machine ups the ante big time! Will take it for another outing this afternoon at the site of the old cottage that was destroyed in a cyclone during the early 1950s.. 

IMG_20100101_100313_edited.jpg

• Like 2

Yesterday's finds.. including an Australian 2 cent piece.. i haven't seen one of them for years (they were withdrawn from circulation in 1992)..

20200105_143216.jpg

On 11/8/2019 at 4:05 AM, phrunt said:

Matey will get a surprise 😮

This morning's finds on Matey's home turf.. i was almost not going to bother searching at Horseshoe Bay as there was a long line of unfilled holes (Matey's calling card) but then thought it would be a great chance to compare the Equinox 600 against his GoFind 44.. I noticed he sticks to the dry sand so this left the wet stuff for me.. once again i can't believe just how good the Equinox handles the beach (much better than the Chinese GBP).. I found 2 more rings (both silver) and an earring as well as $14.40 worth in coins.. Considering that i'd never managed to find any jewellery before, since i've had the Equinox 600 i'm almost starting to count on finding a piece every time I go out.. 

20200108_114852.jpg

• Like 4

Another ring at Alma Bay! could this be a diamond? didn't have much luck in the stinger nets at low tide.. just a few coins.. seems the jewellery is on those beaches with a bit of surf where people get tossed about, as opposed to those where people just stand around like water buffalo.. this is no hard and fast theory yet, just an observation.. been out with a head torch the last few mornings at 2:30 am, 3:00 am and today at 3:30 am to make the most of the very low tides (full moon).. 

Ring.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

could this be a diamond?

That sure looks like one, and I must say that you have some very nice finds there.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 2Valen said:

I must say that you have some very nice finds there

Thanks 2Valen, the gold ring and the one with a stone were found at Alma Bay.. am still not sure about what it is.. don't think it's a diamond because it is set in a sterling silver ring (925).. it turns out the gold ring is the one with diamonds, six tiny ones set in little 'love hearts'.. i didn't see them at first but had a closer look with my reading glasses and there they were!

I'd been waiting for an opportunity to search in the surf zone and around the granite boulders that people jump off at high tide.. the sand doesn't slope as steeply into the sea at Alma as it does in other bays and there's a deep gully where the sand meets the sea floor.. when the Equinox arrived it was open season on the wet stuff.. i've been following the low tides around all the island's bays but some are very hard to get to with access roads washed out..

I also found a George VI Australian Sixpence (1952) on a beach which keeps getting washed away in storms.. i think it could have been in amongst the dredged sand from the boat channel into the marina, they're using this sand to constantly rebuild the beach.. the sixpence was hardly recognisable from what it's supposed to look like and has lost its silvery appearance.. still one of my best finds, so far.. if only when i think about the horrors this little sixpence underwent before it joined my collection..   

• Like 1

This is what my first gold ring looks like up close under a magnifying glass.. bit of a shaky shot but it does show the little diamonds.. this and the little sixpence have more than paid for the Equinox 600 many times over.. if only in the sheer joy of finding them.. 

The Equinox is far out-performing its high expectations.. i've taken to calling it 'Foxy Noxy' (i'm sure i'm not the first)..     

20200115_130222.jpg

20200115_130002.jpg

• Like 2