Coil Cover For The Beach

ColonelDan

I've read a number of threads on the best way to cover and protect the coil and there's been a lot of good ideas for sure!

I thought I'd add mine for those who primarily hunt sandy beaches like I do.

Over the years, I've tried several ways to keep sand out since a build up between the coil and cover could and will result in a degree of false signals/chatter. What I finally determined was that sand is the "cleverest" of all elements with which I've had to contend.  It can and does get into everything. No matter how well I thought I'd sealed the cover onto the coil, sand still managed to get in there...granted not much but my thinking is that if it's not supposed to be there, I want it outta there.  And the one time I tried sealing the cover, it was he** to get the cover off!  Conclusion; Sand will always get in but with most methods of sealing the cover, there's no way for it to get out!

I decided to find a way to give those clever grains of sand a way out.  I came up with this solution about 5 or 6 years ago and it's worked well for me on my Florida beaches.  I simply drilled holes in the cover which allows the water to rinse out the sand while still protecting my coil from bumps and scrapes.   After searching the dry and wet sand, a few swipes in the surf and the sand is rinsed away.  When I get home and remove the cover, there is only a very few isolated grains between the coil and cover...not nearly enough to cause me any trouble whatsoever. 

Works for me but your mileage may vary and I'm always open to better ideas.

Note:  I drill the holes from the inside out so there are no ridges on the inside which would inhibit efficient draining.

Just one method from my sandy foxhole.....

1010358336_ModifiedCoilCover.jpg.ed9c43cdd5939eb002db839bc9742719.jpg

• Like 7

That's an interesting approach to a consistent beach-hunting problem.

Do you have any opinions about just running the coil without the cover? I have tried that on many hunts and find it works quite well with no damage to the coil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

That's an interesting approach to a consistent beach-hunting problem.

Do you have any opinions about just running the coil without the cover? I have tried that on many hunts and find it works quite well with no damage to the coil.

A hunting buddy of mine does that and with no apparent issues...thus far.  However, since I hunt exclusively and frequently on beaches, I've seen sand wear down any surface with ease and fairly quickly so I've always avoided swinging a naked coil on the beach--just my personal preference.  If it works for you, go for it. As I always say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  😉

• Like 2

14 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

Do you have any opinions about just running the coil without the cover?

On a plain sand beach it'll be totally ok I think. We have some beaches with more than hand big stones here and there... Hunting mostly in the dark, I sometimes hit such a stone accidentally, and I'm pretty sure that the cover prevented some wear & tear..

• Like 1

My first thought  is ' surely it will let more sand in'. I have used clear silicone to seal the covers on and have not had a problem getting them off when needed. had to use silicone remover to clean up a coil when I went to Oz knowing how fussy they are about contamination but when I got there they didn't want to see the detector. been twice and neither time did they look at it

That’s thinking outside the box.    In the water where I hunt I wonder if cause the cover to expand away from the coil creating drag?  I say that because that what a CTX cover does.  Those braces come away and acts like a Ritter.  

I never go without a cover for two reasons 1... i wear the out quickly scrubbing the coil on the sand.  2.... those coils aren’t cheap.

1 hour ago, dewcon4414 said:

That’s thinking outside the box.    In the water where I hunt I wonder if cause the cover to expand away from the coil creating drag?  I say that because that what a CTX cover does.  Those braces come away and acts like a Ritter.  

I never go without a cover for two reasons 1... i wear the out quickly scrubbing the coil on the sand.  2.... those coils aren’t cheap.

I personally haven’t experienced any expansion or undue drag in the water as you describe. 

Plasti-dip.........end of story. Apply several layers, whatever colour you want. Very tough and provides a rubberised barrier against anything. It can be cut and peeled off if you ever need to.  Buy it in the half litre TIN and paint it on....avoid the aerosol spray version as too much gets wasted.

Tony

Yellow is my colour of choice.

1BE94458-30CA-45A0-AACC-B1A979941DEE.jpeg

• Like 1

Tried the Col Dan method months ago and for the beach as well as inland works great. Still always remove cover and rinse all sand out of it and the coil. The coil looks like raw cured epoxy and judging by the wear on my coil cover, I would never just use it. YMMV

Tony .... im not sure that would work on mine.   I use Marine Epoxy ..... hard as you get stuff..... and have to re-apply it like once a month.  But i do like the product.... especially here in Fl it has a lot of uses over metal for protection.