Going To Maui With Nox 800

matt

Hey guys,

I have never beach hunted or hunted for coins/relics/jewelry. I have only hunted for gold nuggets.

We are heading to Maui and my son wants to metal detect the beach where we are staying. I have a new in the box Equinox 800. I don't have anything other than my nugget hunting gear. It looks like I should pick up one of those beach scoop things with a long handle. Is there anything else I should get? Any tips on beach hunting? Thanks for any advise and yes I will start searching the forum and youtube for other threads on beach hunting basics. Can't remember if the Nox is waterproof?

• Like 1

Yes, a sand scoop is essential and a finds pouch is a "very nice to have" item.  I've yet to detect in Hawaii but here are some general thoughts regarding beach hunting:  Before you go, do the update 2.0 and use the F2 Iron Bias feature and then test a few targets you're most likely to find so you're familiar with what your EQX is telling you regarding a variety of those targets--coins, gold and silver jewelry. 

When you get to the beach, select Beach 1 mode and do a noise cancel first then ground balance.  You'll most likely run into some very unfriendly sand conditions so you'll have to "dial in" the EQX to run as stable as possible.  The relationship between recovery speed, the F2 setting and sensitivity will be key.  Start by using Beach 1 on the dry and damp sand and Beach 2 on the wet sand and surf.  Observe where the most people are on the beach...towel line, walk line, activity centers and about knee deep in the surf at low tide.  Look for cuts in the sand where the surf has eroded the beach, low areas and ripples.  Hit those areas with your coil low, level and slow.  Grid the area to cover the area as thoroughly as possible.  When you hit a target, I suggest you spiral around it to see if you have a coin line or other valuable targets in that same area.  Good targets like gold tend to sink to similar depths.  If you hit lead sinkers, stay in that area...its a good sign that gold is lurking nearby.

I'm sure others, especially those who have hunted Hawaii, will add their thoughts,  The folks on this forum are very friendly and eagerly willing to help! 

Good luck

• Like 3