Sign in to follow this  
Glenn in CO

Tesoro's New Venture?

Highly unlikely, unless we are in 2013 and I'm somehow confused by the current date? I've been known to bump buttons on my watch and  set the time and date wrong.  It happens a lot 🙂

That webpage was last modified Friday, 31 May 2013, 7:59:55 am

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

Highly unlikely, unless we are in 2013 and I'm somehow confused by the current date? I've been known to bump buttons on my watch and  set the time and date wrong.  It happens a lot 🙂

That webpage was last modified Friday, 31 May 2013, 7:59:55 am

Thanks! phrunt, I've would have not posted that link if I had that information. My browser doesn't share that information.

I guess it was failed business venture as it never went any further?

It's disappointing nobody wanted to take them over, surely at the final point it would have been a cheap purchase to take over the business... perhaps the warranty put them all off, that's a huge liability to take on.

First Texas ditched the old Fisher lifetime warranty when they bought the company so I am sure a Tesoro buyer could have done the same. The main problem is all they really had of value might have been the name. All their detectors employ old out of patent VLF tech that any company, like NokMak for instance, can just make on their own. I know there are people who swear by knobs and audio only, none of those fancy meters and touch pads and target id thingys, but that is what sells. Let’s face it, the new Simplex+ does not really detect any better than a Tesoro, people are buying the package and things like wireless. At some point Tesoro just decided to milk what they had for as long as they could rather than invest back into the technology, and in the consumer tech business that is sure death.

When I look at Nokta/Makro I see what Tesoro could have done had they been willing. NokMak pretty much started where Tesoro left off, with pretty basic VLF circuits not much more advanced than the Tesoro Cortes. But instead of sitting dead in the water they pumped out new models with new features so fast people could not keep up, and look where they are now after just a few years.

• Like 3

It sounds a bit like what most manufacturers are doing now, sitting on their old tech for years not really doing anything with it.  Even simple improvements like wireless and waterproofing and so on.

I guess it's a death cycle we will probably see more of.  It's a real shame.    They can't pretend they didn't see it coming.

• Like 1

The metal detector mkt is over sold. Kind of like what happened to baseball card mfg's in the 80's. There were too many of them. For my kind of hunting (playgrounds) a Tesoro works great. I don't want a machine that goes 10-15" deep. Most of my targets are only a few inches deep.  

I think people tend to buy newer and newer machines to add to their collections and maybe also they think the newer machine will find stuff their other machines don't. Curious that when people hit old grounds and find stuff they missed with the older machine that just maybe they didn't swing over that spot and/or had previously unmasked that area. I hit a local park that is so polluted with aluminum slag and tabs I can go back over a spot and keep finding coins that I missed before.

Finds I get with my Tejon that I gloss over with my ATP for example is because the Tejon doesn't have a display so I pay more attention to the target and not glance at a VDI that may or may not be correct. I do dig more trash with the Tejon than I do with the ATP no doubt but I also find more. I think generally people are more apt to use a vdi not only because it is cooler watching what the machine is doing but also because they think they are not going to pick up any garbage and be able to cherry pick their way through. I can't tell you how many nickels I have from heavily hit areas that people pass over as well as jewelry. I know when I am in an area that has been picked through because there a usually square tabs, ring tabs bits of foil and nickels yet copper pennies and silver is gone or very sparse.

Analog machines from my limited experience take a long time to really learn what the machine is saying. They can be frustrating if you don't put the time in.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      There is some stiff competition right now in the detector industry. We saw Tesoro go away recently, and I expect more consolidation to come. I also expect First Texas to be a survivor.
      The electronics industry in large part depends on economy of scale. Yes, you do need to innovate or like Tesoro you eventually die for lack of new product. But manufacturing cost is a big part of the game, especially as regards global competition. And there is no denying now detecting is long past being a U.S. based industry.
      First Texas has been taking some flak for slow introduction of genuinely new product, relying more of repacking existing product for some time now. What many may not know however is that they have been investing heavily, and the big investment by far was in a new state of the art manufacturing facility. From http://www.grantcountybeat.com/news/news-releases/25974-first-texas-products-corporation-to-invest-7-2-million-on-new-el-paso-facility
      "December 2015 EL PASO, Texas - Both the El Paso City Council and County Commissioners Court approved economic development incentives that will spur more than $7.2 million in private investment by First Texas Products Corporation, a leading consumer electronics company with domestic and international reach. Approval for the incentive occurred by the City Council on December 8th and the Commissioners Court did the same on December 14.
      First Texas, which is currently headquartered in El Paso, will construct a new facility in the Mission Valley (1120 Alza Dr.), resulting in the retention of over 50 jobs which have an average annual salary of $65,331. The new facility will strengthen and expand the company's commitment to manufacturing high quality metal detectors for industrial, security and recreational purposes as well as high performance night vision devices for military and civilian markets.
      Per the incentive agreements with both the City and the County, First Texas Products Corporation is eligible to receive the following incentives package:
      City of El Paso:
      A ten year, 50% real and personal property tax rebate totaling $256,019
      A rebate on the City's portion of the sales tax, up to $12,000
      Possible waiver of building permit costs, estimated at $21,700
      El Paso County:
      A ten year, 50% real and personal property tax rebate totaling $159,570.65
      As part of the incentive agreement, First Texas Products Corporation is expected to begin construction within the next 12 months, with the certificate of occupancy being obtained within the next 24 months."
      This facility has been completed and is now in operation. And in a stroke of luck, I doubt FT anticipated when that article was written in 2015 that trade wars and tariffs would add an extra bonus into their decision to invest in El Paso.

A peek inside the new FT state of the art facility
      So what does this mean? We already know First Texas makes metal detectors and night vision products. Now they have excess capability to sell. Check out the new FIRST TEXAS PRODUCTS ELECTRONICS MANUFACTURING website at http://ftpcircuits.com/ Take some time to explore that website and think about the capability described there.
      "First Texas Products Electronics Manufacturing understands the dynamic nature of the electronics marketplace. We offer a full range of PCB manufacturing and assembly services to fit all your printed circuit board capability needs.  One-stop printed circuit board manufacturer and quick turn PCB assembly solution. Serving OEM customers for many years in a variety of markets offering PCBA, wire harness, electromechanical assembly, build box and full system integration.  We also offer auxiliary services - environment testing, conformal coating, machining, packaging and labeling. One-stop printed circuit board manufacturer and quick turn PCB assembly solution.  Offering some of the most advanced PCB technology and convenient services found in the industry: Full Spec PCBs, Small Quantity - Quick Turn PCBs, Custom Spec - Quick Turn PCBs, Highly Specialized Precision PCBs, & Large Scale Production."
      plus...
      "International Fulfillment Services - We are process and results driven distribution warehouse having experience with hundreds of companies globally including online marketers. Let us seamlessly be an extension of your company; manage orders and inventory like it was our own. Release your order - we pick/pack and ship using our best shipping rates. Kitting, labeling included. We have been in the procurement business for 25 years. We have the contacts and the pricing history to kit your job at a reasonable cost. Don’t hesitate to inquire about how First Texas Products can help you focus on sales and the development of your business."
      and finally...
      "First Texas Products Corporation is a consumer electronics company that manufactures metal detectors for industrial, security, and recreational purposes. The company also manufactures and distributes high performance night vision devices for the military and civilian markets. First Texas Products Corporation began operations in 1999. Today it operates more than 11 separate companies, exports to more than 110 countries and provides 397 jobs of which 254 are in El Paso. First Texas Products Corporation offers its products through retailers and dealers throughout the U.S, Canada, Europe, Latin America, Asia, Middle East, Africa, and Australia."
      And that my friends is why First Texas is not going anywhere. They can crank out detectors in large volumes at very low cost. How do you think I can see a pile of First Texas detectors, good detectors, at Costco by the pallet load selling for $99.99? Take engineering costs out and basic manufacturing cost is very, very low for these pod on a stick models.
      The only area First Texas probably struggles with is the old legacy devices, like the old Fisher CZ models and the Gold Bug 2. Basically hand made compared to the newest models, lower volume, which means higher component costs, and therefore they can only sell for as long as the prices can be kept high enough. With the new competition coming online many of these older models are doomed, it is just a matter of when. And I have to wonder about something like the new Fisher Impulse AQ - does it really fit with the low cost high volume business that is FTs bread and butter? I guess only time will tell. One thing I am very sure of however, is that First Texas will continue to be a player in this industry, probably for longer than I will be around.
    • By Rad Rocks
      A Nokta/Makro P.I. machine... Now That could be a home run... 
      The Gold Kruzer is playing out as I had hoped...But I am finding that I am very much desiring the other half of the equation, So a P.I. is now at the top of my list..
    • By ☠ Cipher
      Some deals include:
      15" concentric coils for XLT, MXT, DFX, 5900DI etc for $110 each
      5.3" shooter for XLT/6000/5900/Classic ID etc for $40
      diving rod for $30
      hip mount kits slashed in half
    • By Steve Herschbach
      White's Electronics is having their fall Garage Sale that features some deep discounts on select products. There is one deal in particular that nugget hunters may want to be aware of.
      The White's Sierra Gold Trac was a Jimmy Sierra limited edition product not carried by regular White's dealers. They were only sold by a few west coast dealers and White's themselves never really promoted the machine. That makes them a rare item, and with Jimmy now having left the scene it looks like White's wants to liquidate the remaining units.
      I only bring this all up because the SGT is basically a stripped down White's GMT with only two control knobs - on/off/gain and threshold. That's it. the detector runs at 48 khz and is locked full time into ground tracking mode. There is no discrimination. Just a hot on tiny gold all metal detector.
      I did up a product page on these for historical purposes since there is so little information on them. Normally sells discounted for $369.95.
      White’s Sierra Gold Trac (SGT) Data & User Reviews
      Review by Mike Hillis

White's Electronics Sierra Gold Trac Metal Detector
      All Metal Operation: Hear all metal targets. Auto Trac: Iron mineral interference from soil and rocks is tuned out automatically. Only Two Controls; Gain & Threshold: Threshold adjusts the background hum. The Gain control adjusts for maximum sensitivity in your conditions. 48 kHz Frequency. Waterproof 6x10" inch Elliptical DD Search coil. Slide-In 12 Volt AA Battery Holder: 25-40 hours of hunting. (varies depending if you're using headphones or the external speaker) Approximately 3.5 lbs with batteries: The SGT is light weight and well balanced for all-day hunting. Can be used with any Goldmaster Series (48 kHz - 50 kHz) Search Coils. Optional Accessories (Sold Separately): NiCad Rechargeable Battery System Two Year Transferable Warranty MSRP $399.95.
      White's Sierra Gold Trac Owner's Guide
      White’s Sierra Gold Trac (SGT) Data & User Reviews
    • By Bohemia Miner
      I reached out to Jimmy through his website for Discovery Tours.
      http://discoverytours.us/
      Here was his response:
      Hi Walter,  We are still doing our  Discovery Tours to England. In fact this was our 29th consecutive Year .I have personally missed participating in the tours for the past 4 years for "health issues" ....I  turned 89 years old this year, but I hope to make at least one more trip if I can get a better handle on health. Meanwhile, I do all the paperwork from here. Get the  participants, collect the funds, keep all informed of details and handle the return of the finds to the participants when I get them back from David and Trish in UK. So the only difference is that I don't get to participate in England. I hope to make one more trip at some point  when health improves....but age is not on my side, sorry to say. Our website is still active and David and Trish keep it up to date with pics and  finds and  info, as always. If you are interested in  a future trip.........let me know and I will keep you on my mailing list.

Best regards, Jimmy

Thanks!

Walt
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The counterfeiting issue is getting bad. eBay in particular is full of them. Amazon not as bad but they are there. If you Google for lowest pricing, you will find scammers. Be careful buying used now, could just be a front for a scammer.
      It’s pretty simple. Metal detector products generally have enforced minimum advertised prices. That’s the price you see most often and at all the legitimate sites. It’s the price I list in the Detector Database. Anybody pretending to be a dealer and selling the item for less is 99.99% going to be a scam. Either accept that you have to deal with legitimate dealers selling at the higher prices, or find yourself a scammer selling for less. If all you care about is finding the lowest price on the internet, you WILL get ripped off. Well, not really. It’s voluntary.
      I am deleting all the links to these rip off sites when people post them. Outfits like King Detectors or Alibaba. The links below list a lot of them. I don’t mind identifying them by name but I do not want to advertise for them with links. Just accept that they are out there. Thanks.
      However, there can also be scammers selling at the minimum advertised price and really making a killing. All manufacturers have lists of legitimate dealers on their websites. You want to stay safe, stick with those. Just a tip however. They can sell for less than the advertised prices... just call them and find your best deal. Tell them you don’t need the “free stuff”, you just want their best deal. 

Genuine Bounty Hunter Metal Detector Dealers 

Genuine Fisher Metal Detector Dealers

Genuine Garrett Metal Detector Dealers

Genuine Minelab Metal Detector Dealers

Genuine Nokta/Makro Metal Detector Dealers

Genuine Teknetics Metal Detector Dealers

Genuine White’s Metal Detector Dealers

Genuine XP Metal Detector Dealers (U.S.)
      Genuine XP Metal Detector Dealers (International)