Tesoro's New Venture?

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

Highly unlikely, unless we are in 2013 and I'm somehow confused by the current date? I've been known to bump buttons on my watch and  set the time and date wrong.  It happens a lot 🙂

That webpage was last modified Friday, 31 May 2013, 7:59:55 am

Thanks! phrunt, I've would have not posted that link if I had that information. My browser doesn't share that information.

First Texas ditched the old Fisher lifetime warranty when they bought the company so I am sure a Tesoro buyer could have done the same. The main problem is all they really had of value might have been the name. All their detectors employ old out of patent VLF tech that any company, like NokMak for instance, can just make on their own. I know there are people who swear by knobs and audio only, none of those fancy meters and touch pads and target id thingys, but that is what sells. Let’s face it, the new Simplex+ does not really detect any better than a Tesoro, people are buying the package and things like wireless. At some point Tesoro just decided to milk what they had for as long as they could rather than invest back into the technology, and in the consumer tech business that is sure death.

When I look at Nokta/Makro I see what Tesoro could have done had they been willing. NokMak pretty much started where Tesoro left off, with pretty basic VLF circuits not much more advanced than the Tesoro Cortes. But instead of sitting dead in the water they pumped out new models with new features so fast people could not keep up, and look where they are now after just a few years.

• Like 2

The metal detector mkt is over sold. Kind of like what happened to baseball card mfg's in the 80's. There were too many of them. For my kind of hunting (playgrounds) a Tesoro works great. I don't want a machine that goes 10-15" deep. Most of my targets are only a few inches deep.  

I think people tend to buy newer and newer machines to add to their collections and maybe also they think the newer machine will find stuff their other machines don't. Curious that when people hit old grounds and find stuff they missed with the older machine that just maybe they didn't swing over that spot and/or had previously unmasked that area. I hit a local park that is so polluted with aluminum slag and tabs I can go back over a spot and keep finding coins that I missed before.

Finds I get with my Tejon that I gloss over with my ATP for example is because the Tejon doesn't have a display so I pay more attention to the target and not glance at a VDI that may or may not be correct. I do dig more trash with the Tejon than I do with the ATP no doubt but I also find more. I think generally people are more apt to use a vdi not only because it is cooler watching what the machine is doing but also because they think they are not going to pick up any garbage and be able to cherry pick their way through. I can't tell you how many nickels I have from heavily hit areas that people pass over as well as jewelry. I know when I am in an area that has been picked through because there a usually square tabs, ring tabs bits of foil and nickels yet copper pennies and silver is gone or very sparse.

Analog machines from my limited experience take a long time to really learn what the machine is saying. They can be frustrating if you don't put the time in.

• Like 3