Quarter Ounce Day

Lunk

Way to go Lunk. We left too soon. But at least the Zed will be back in commission for winter hunting in AZ@

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

Thanks for taking the time to show us your find. That's a deep target in anyone's book so nice work. I was wondering why you use Audio Smoothing on High? I am always interested in learning from you...

It's a shame Lunk and I never hunted together while I had my GPZ. He and I hunt the same way, super slow and methodical gridders. We both find gold. But we are complete opposites when it comes to tuning. I tune for hot and noisy and let my ear sort the signals. Lunk goes the other way, tuning the machine as best as is possible to eliminate all the false signals that I am sorting with my ear/brain. Both methods have reasons why they may be better and in general I recommend people tune like Lunk does rather than the way I do. I'm more the oddball person out on that sort of thing at the other extreme. JP falls more in the middle leaning perhaps a little my way - he hates smoothing. In any case it would have been fun to hunt together and cross check targets found so opportunity lost there. :sad: It may have helped shed a little light on which methodology is best. If there is a tuning wizard out of the three of us though I vote for JP. Lunk and I are more the outliers. No offense meant there Keith! :smile:

• Like 4

It is the tuning of the ear that makes the difference.  You guys KNOW what you hear and some of us don't hear it or we don't even know what it is!  That is the art to go with the science.  IMHO

Mitchel

• Like 1

Very nice find my friend, but what astonished me most was your smooth tongue and colorful story telling capabilities.  As for a 16" deep nugget, I just measured the 14" ZED coil and with stock coil cover it is actually closer to 15",  since the cover sticks out almost a 1/2"  on both ends.  Your 16" deep nugget find is more like a 17".  Now you are getting close to the 18" depth I dug one last week.

Either way, your attention to detail, ability to find other top performing settings on the 7000 and the shout out just goes to show folks why I enjoy having you on my Field Training Staff.

Hopefully I can get back down there 1 more time before the weather sets in.

Nice 1/4 oz day btw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

I was wondering why you use Audio Smoothing on High?

Simply put, in combination with my other audio settings, the target response is the most distinct with High Audio Smoothing. If you switch back and forth between High and Off, you'll hear what I mean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If there is a tuning wizard out of the three of us though I vote for JP. Lunk and I are more the outliers. No offense meant there Keith! :smile:

No offense taken, amigo, and I totally agree with your assessment: JP is the wizard!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Hopefully I can get back down there 1 more time before the weather sets in.

The weather is beautiful right now, so come on down!

1 hour ago, Lunk said:

in combination with my other audio settings, the target response is the most distinct with High Audio Smoothing.

Are these the settings you are referring to?

In summary, here are my audio settings back to back:

Volume: 15

Threshold Level: 35

Threshold Pitch: 25

Audio Smoothing: High

Volume Limit: 3