Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 At Costco

Entry level detectors are important.   I myself entered this hobby in December 2003 with a $99 Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.    I was going to spend the coupon on either a new fishing reel or a new backpack, but the detectors caught my eye and decided to redeem my coupon on the detector.  Dick Sporting Good never got any stock in to ship my order and I used the coupon on fishing stuff in the end....but.....the seed was planted and in January of 2004 I bought the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV from Kelleyco.   And I have been like a fish on the line every since then.

The 3300 is a fantastic deal for 99 dollars.   The F2/F4/ 3300 are basic George Payne designs. 

HH
Mike

• Like 4

Even still total investment your talking less than $300 for a machine with good features, stock + a high end coil. Not bad and with a tornado on that machine I would guess it would do well.

• 11 months later...

This is an old thread i found while searching for a Costco metal detector.

I stopped into Costco Monday and asked about metal detectors and the fellow said they had just gotten a shipment.

He took me to the display and i was excited to see the $99.99 price.

But i was disappointed to see it was not the Discovery 3300.

It was a Discovery Pro.  Seemed to have fewer features than the 3300.

But ironically you can order the Discovery 3300 online from Costco for the same $99.99 price plus small shipping fee, which i did yesterday.

Anxious to learn from this forum.  After 55 years of bad golf i figure i can get the same amount of exercise detecting Lake Michigan beaches (walk, stop, walk, stop, etc) as i do on the golf course and stop paying green fees!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just came across this post and had to add my 2c. Interesting that Steve took a pic in Costco , because that's what I did . There were about 4@ pallets of these at several stores by me. I started to freak out ! I envisioned a traffic jam on my beaches. I don't know much about these but they had alot of features for the price. What I can say is the used secondary market has been flooded by these. Typically going for $40-60. People just gave up , didn't find much , idk. I did see quite a few using them in the dry sand for a few months. Now barely anyone is on the beach with them. What I learned is to not freak myself out if I see detectors being sold at Costco again !

• Like 1

The less you invest in the hobby, the easier it is to quit. Most first time detectorists find out the hobby is boring for a lot of people. They got a cheap detector, gave it a go, and decided digging bottle caps is not as fun as it’s made out to be. This is doubly true when the detector is a gift, as is often the case with these inexpensive big box deals.

Detectorists are a rare breed. You could probably give everyone in the country a free detector, and you’d not really see that much more activity out there.

• Like 2

I've never been a fan of the entry level detectors for newbies wanting to get into the hobby. They're fine for someone who just lost their wedding ring in their back yard, but, for someone trying to compete with veteran detectorists in the local park or beach, they're an exercise in frustration. Most people looking to get into this hobby want to find treasure.....however their mindset defines that. If they don't have some initial success, they become disenchanted and the detector ends up in the closet or garage sale. Having a good quality detector that will find more treasure than trash, or, at least some treasure to keep interest up, is crucial in "getting over the hump" in this hobby. I've also seen (and hunted with) many veteran detectorists, who after hitting a dry spell, will also quit.....at least for a while. Success breeds success, and a quality detector for that particular type of venue/search/target will help in that success.

3 hours ago, cudamark said:

I've never been a fan of the entry level detectors for newbies wanting to get into the hobby. They're fine for someone who just lost their wedding ring in their back yard, but, for someone trying to compete with veteran detectorists in the local park or beach, they're an exercise in frustration. Most people looking to get into this hobby want to find treasure.....however their mindset defines that. If they don't have some initial success, they become disenchanted and the detector ends up in the closet or garage sale. Having a good quality detector that will find more treasure than trash, or, at least some treasure to keep interest up, is crucial in "getting over the hump" in this hobby. I've also seen (and hunted with) many veteran detectorists, who after hitting a dry spell, will also quit.....at least for a while. Success breeds success, and a quality detector for that particular type of venue/search/target will help in that success.

I know what your saying about the veteran guys temporarily hanging it up. But you know what the worst is ? When they tell me " let me know when it's really good , and I will go hunt with you". Knowing I hunt 2,3 times a week. Wanting me to do the leg work....for them. Yeah , right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1