Skookum

What Do You Make Of These Piles?

I’m always trying to learn how to correctly identify evidences of the older workings.  These piles caught my attention because they look like old dry washing header piles, but there are no discernible tailings piles. The rock piles are quite flattened, perhaps this means they are old. But, the other mysterious finding is that there are relatively no large rocks found between the piles.  This is in contrast to the surrounding terrain, which is homogeneously strewn with rocks of variable size. This makes me wonder if the piles were formed by detectorists trying to get a more level surface. Then, again, I don’t see any recent evidence of recent diggings due to the flatness of the ground.  Is anybody with more experience willing to share their take on it?

0A76C62B-97A2-4905-8230-EA9CF103ECBA.jpeg

A3502092-5101-4079-BE05-01C60A244A9D.jpeg

DC70EB53-763A-4557-BB6C-F813B68925D7.jpeg

8A917FE2-6DBF-4CAA-879F-F2C761F331BB.jpeg

95B6086C-054D-465B-A48D-81CB6FA1BD40.jpeg

Hard to guess, perhaps someone raked some to detect...

usually the tail piles will be faint but still visible.....

if it was detected there should be shallow dig holes from the old Vlf days...those marks hardly ever disappear completely.

Did you detect any?
fred

• Like 1

What Fred said. Think if they were dry washing piles were might be more piles of smaller tailings…but only guessing.

• Like 1

I would be in cruise mode around the edges of that area.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fredmason said:

Did you detect any?

Yes. I scanned around with the smallest GM1000 coil followed by the SDC. Nothing yellow. It is sitting right on top of an alluvial fan with gold in it though. 

50 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

I would be in cruise mode around the edges of that area.

I may have to go back and try around a few more of them. They do seem more out of place in person. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vanursepaul said:

Just rock piles left from the wind erosion.... 

I have wondered that, too. They are just so oddly homogeneous. 

Maybe natural but it is difficult to be so certain from pics....wind would not do that, I don’t see water doing that.... I vote for very old dry wash headers or pretty old raking...

how you doing, Paul?

• Like 3

Definitely Gilla Monster dens.  The area should only be detected by a Gilla Monster expert such as myself. Now where did you say this was?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By dogodog
      Hi all, I'm new to this site and the world of non analog detectors. truth be told I was a die hard Tesoro fan. since Tesoros sad demise I chose to purchase a multi kruzer and jump into the unknown waters of modern technology. I would like to thank all of you for helping me make this decision. This forum is a wealth of knowledge for someone like myself who is a weekend warrior detector. Anyway after two days of experimenting I think I have the basics of this amazing machine. I cant believe how deep it goes, I found an early button at 14 inches, I thought it was a false signal but dug it anyway.  I experimented with 2 tone but found the 3 tone to be much better. All of my problems in the past were bad and wet soil This detector doesn't care about any of that. I've never been able to disc out multiple targets at once 3 tone does it like magic. Today I hit a site that that my other detectors go mental on and found a 9 inch silver dime. But to my point and enthusiasm If anybody has some setups please post them. Gain, notch, tones ect. would be very helpful to new guys like me trying to figure out the multi kruzer. Once again thanks all and thanks to Steve Herschbach for helping making my decision with all his informative information.
    • By maxxkatt
      I have located two gold mines that I have access to after much research.
      one mine about 4 ft tall in the side of a hill and has a nice pile of quartz rock tailings pile. rocks are about 12" wide. Should I remove all of the larger quartz rocks to get  down to the smaller rocks before I hunt with my 800 using a six inch coil?
      the other is in the side of a creek bank about 2 feet high. No sign of tailings pile, so I guess just hunt the creek with my Equinox 800 and 6" coil in front of the mine and down stream and on both sides of the creek in case they had their washer equipment set up at that location.
      both sites are rather remote so should not be much trash in the area.
      thanks for any help.

• By Django
      (Update... im not taking the ctx3030 and instead I’m buying a equinox800 and practice with that and take it to the digstock event.
      there has been some very good advice offered I  the comments... things that as a newbie I wouldn’t have considered.)

I’m recently retired and decided to start some new hobbies, metal detecting is one of them.
      i bought a CTX3030 used at a great price from the president of the Ohio Detectorist association. It included the stock coil and a 17 inch. I’m still learning how to use it and so I basically dig every signal I get.
      my question is this... I’m going to travel to Chazy NY for DigStock 2020 and will be hunting relics and coins... in open fields.
      should I use the CTX3030 or should I also invest in a Garrett ATX and deepseeker for this event or should I take both?
      thoughts?
      ~Django
    • By mh9162013
      I saw one of these for sale for basically $200 + shipping. Is that a good deal? What's the typical resale price (Fair Market Value) for a machine like that?

Thanks!
    • By okara gold
      Broke my Nox arm cuff the other day. I got ahold of a new one and modified it so it is now stronger than ever. I took a piece of 4 inch PVC pipe, ( just the right width! ), cut it to the width of the cuff and just below where the strap openings are. Did a little sanding to "round" off the edges and attached it with industrial 3M two face tape to the cuff. Then put the black cushion rubber on top. I have used it about 6 hours now of constant swinging and it is rock solid. $1.98 for the PVC and a little modification. We'll see how it holds up. 

• By deusdave
      Greetings from the UK to all you fellow hunters from a newbie  to the GPX  4500 and this site , i have a question i recently i acquired a Gpx 4500 and it has a modification on the control panel which i am not sure about could somebody tell me what this is ? as you can see in the picture it says Gain + and L.S.M three position switch what is this and how do you use it and who would have modified it if known ? my hunting will be 99% on  wet beach sand  had an SD 2200D way back which was awesome on the beach so GPX should be no exception. Any help and advice will be very much appreciated and any advice on a beach set up would be good as i not tried her out yet many thanks .