What Do You Make Of These Piles?

Skookum

If they were after surface enrichment they may have taken the dirt to water, this would be fine gold. I think detector holes would be clear if they did that...

One other thought....if you see areas that are square it could be where some soldiers camped with their tents for awhile...of course, there should be some metal rubbish close... 

I would use a larger coil to cover the ground. Once you find a piece or two you can go from there...the 11 or 15 inch on the Equinox should do...

may I ask what desert you’re working...generically of course.

fred

• Like 3

7 hours ago, fredmason said:

I already tried to trick him into revealing the location but he was too clever for the likes of me. I think the closest you or I will get to the gold from this spot will be through pictures on this forum, which I expect to see soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, fredmason said:

One other thought....if you see areas that are square it could be where some soldiers camped with their tents for awhile...of course, there should be some metal rubbish close... 

I wondered about being cleared for easier walking, too.  There are some degraded steel flakes scattered about.  I also found a couple of solitary antiquey clay bricks, without a home.  Its really in the middle of nowhere without water nearby.  

23 hours ago, fredmason said:

It's east-southeast of Phoenix on a club claim (top secret html encoding in use here).  I've tried as much research as I know how short of getting into the nearest local library, which appears to never be open.  Although, I did find 1952 Rosie dime in their front lawn just for kicks.  It's an eerie little town.

From what I read in USGS material (encoded information here, again), there was some gold found in certain surrounding areas, but it's not clear what was going on at this particular location.  One of the sections said So-and-So reported finding some "pannable" gold on his claim, but that's not exactly here.  There is plenty of evidence of recent drywashing in the nearby ravines.  But, I can't find recent or remote shared info on what people have found on this spot.

That said, I've drywashed a couple of those nearby ravines and found both very small flake and small chunks of rough gold.  Nothing of detectable size in the concentrates and nothing detected yet, but I've only spent one day.  Sure would be nice to know if I'm wasting my time!

• Like 1

if you drywashed pickers of any size.....like barely flakes...you are not wasting your time...you are investing time in finding better gold than you drywashed….nugget hunting with a detector is not for the faint of heart nor those without Patience...

sounds like a good place to me....stay off the RES!!!

fred

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all of the entertaining and helpful comments. Spent a half day detecting, today, and got nothing but little bits of lead, iron, and hot rocks.  At that point, I usually grab a parting bucket of dirt to bring home and soothe my bruised ego. Here's the product of 4 gallons unclassified dirt. 

A841CABD-DBC1-417A-9C79-D367CFC2F15A.jpeg

• Like 6

I'd say you are in the right place, for a four gallon sample!!!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 2

That would be worth filling more buckets and running them at home. I just got back from a trip to Az. The trip had nothing to do with gold, just visiting friends. But I could not help being amazed at the vastness of the landscape. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I was in the area just north of Phoenix in Camp Verde. I don't know if there is gold there or not, my friend that lives there didn't know either.

• Like 2