Simplex+ Frequency Shift Question

Hey RJ

I just got my Simplex yesterday and I must say this detector got everything. I was checking it out and the only trouble so far is it’s having trouble ID-ing the dates on the coins.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

RJ,

'Welcome' to a truly great outdoor sport!   'Welcome' to Steve's very informative Forums!  And 'Welcome' to choosing equipment from the best manufacturers in the industry!   I'm expecting word on my Simplex+ soon, but it's 3:10 in the morning and my Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic and Racer 2 are already loaded up as I'll be heading out this morning for some end-of-the-year ghost town Relic Hunting.  What chunk of Oregon are you located in?  What type(s) of detecting do you plan to do?  I'm way over here in the far east/central area in Vale. 

Monte

• Like 2

Hey Monte, I'm in Aurora. A lot of farms out here and already have 1 permission. Heading to the coast for the weekend next month and of course will be taking the Simplex along. I think come spring/summer I may head to one of Oregon's ghost towns but not sure exactly which yet. In May I'm going on a 2 week road trip down to Neveda, Arizona, Utah, Montana, Colorado and such...will have my Simplex, Autel Evo and my Rad Power Bike and I'm pretty sure a perma-grin.

19 hours ago, Monte said:

RJ,

'Welcome' to a truly great outdoor sport!   'Welcome' to Steve's very informative Forums!  And 'Welcome' to choosing equipment from the best manufacturers in the industry!   I'm expecting word on my Simplex+ soon, but it's 3:10 in the morning and my Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic and Racer 2 are already loaded up as I'll be heading out this morning for some end-of-the-year ghost town Relic Hunting.  What chunk of Oregon are you located in?  What type(s) of detecting do you plan to do?  I'm way over here in the far east/central area in Vale. 

Monte

Monte nice to see you over here 👍

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:57 PM, RJ of Oregon said:

Hey Monte, I'm in Aurora. A lot of farms out here and already have 1 permission. Heading to the coast for the weekend next month and of course will be taking the Simplex along. I think come spring/summer I may head to one of Oregon's ghost towns but not sure exactly which yet. In May I'm going on a 2 week road trip down to Neveda, Arizona, Utah, Montana, Colorado and such...will have my Simplex, Autel Evo and my Rad Power Bike and I'm pretty sure a perma-grin.

I'm very familiar with the Aurora vicinity and know that some of the older farm sites attracted a fair amount of local activity and have some worthy potential.   A fair amount of research can help track down any popular-use locations to try and secure permission for.  Not just near Aurora but many early-era sites in the Willamette Valley.  Five of my eight Large Cents came from those places, and Large Cents are not a frequently found target in the west like they can be back east.

Come spring/summer detecting season you're welcome to contact me, if you're trying to find an old ghost towns or two to hunt over on this side of the Cascade Range.  And if you're planning on making a 2-week detecting journey in May, you're going to keep yourself very busy with a lot of travel time, and likely less detecting adventure, if you plan to travel and hunt in five or more states.  Trust me, I've taken on that experience numerous times over the past 5+ decades, but I've found it better to narrow my travelling and dedicate more time to site selection and patiently working them well.

Matter-of-fact, we haven't organized our Welcome-to-Hunt Outings yet for 2020, but each year, starting in 2015, we have hosted at least 2 Outings that usually span a 4-day get-together, and those have primarily been Relic Hunting types affairs working ghost towns.  We have a really great bunch of people from several states who have participated, and we average 17 to 25 people per Outing event.  If you're interested, drop me an e-mail with your Name, Mailing Address, Phone and E-Mail contact address and I'll put you on the WTHO Contact List to be informed.  That information is not shared.

While your planned 2-week adventure could include any type of hunting, from beaches to urban coin sites, to rural relic-type locations, I'm going to guess that you enjoy the more iron-infested Relic Hunting types of sites, correct?  Do you mind sharing what make/model detectors you rely on to work those sites and the search coils you prefer to use?

Until more favorable weather returns, I wish you the best of success through these wintry months.  Once my Simplex + arrives I plan to work in a cross-state journey just for a coastal beach hunt.  Maybe we can meet up for a visit when I do.

Monte

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

R.J. and Cal_Cobra and other who are interested.

Sorry for this very tardy post to catch up on old topics.  The 'topic' was originally about the Nokta / Makro Simplex+.  Earlier, I said I was awaiting its arrival, but it didn't get here until Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving brings us good grub, great get-togethers opportunities, and time to reflect on things that give us thanks.  It also is about introduction time to winter so it's been colder and wetter and windier and only intermittent break to get out hunting.

I really am impressed with the Simplex +, even though it coms with a big 11" DD coil, but it works for some sites I hunt.  What I am waiting for now is the release of one or two smaller-size coils, and I am really hoping it will be a 5" DD and 7" Concentric.  Then all we need is huntable weather and some good sites to go search.  Both are coming soon, so here's a reminder.

R.J., you were planning a detecting trip this spring or summer and I thought I let you know about our 12th WTHO this June 3rd thru 7th.  The Welcome-to-Hunt Outing will be based out of Wells, Nevada, and it looks like we might have out biggest turn-out yet of attendees.  Cal_Cobra has attended in the past and know they types of challenges we can encounter in these old, out-of-use sites  We have averaged 17 to 25 people on these Outings, but this year I wouldn't surprised to see that number increase to 30-35, but there are six or more ghost towns for us to spread out to and hunt.

A lot of people are experienced at hunting these iron-contaminated places, and some are newer to the relic Hunting game, only having some urban Coin Hunting experiences.  Most will bring their "Old Faithful" detectors along with the best coil for the task at hand, and some are going to have a newer detector they recently acquired and will have the opportunity to learn it better.

Winter will be over and gone so we'll enjoy better detecting weather, meet up with some great people who attend, and have a lot of fun.  Just thought I through out this reminder to you two, and also assure anyone I'll have the Simplex + along with me.  I really hope I'll also have a new smaller-size coil or two for it to best tackle the dense debris, the weeds and brush, and find stuff.

Monte

Anyone with questions can also e-mail me:: monte@ahrps.org

• Like 2