New White’s Surf Pi Pro On Its Way !

Tony

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts and as much as I love my TDIBH........the coil at 12” diameter is just too big in my generally rough ocean conditions....the swell and waves knock it around too much and with zero visibility due to stirred up sand and white water.......anyhow I have managed to secure myself an unused (outdoors) Whites’s Surf Pi Pro that a very nice person called Eric Foster currently owns. It’s had a few changes too by Eric.

The unit will be outfitted with a recently hand made coil by Eric......a 10” centre mount / 3 spoke coil (Full epoxy fill so no buoyancy problems) with an inline waterproof connector to be able to swap out coils if needed. The coil is in the style of the old Aquastar detector. Centre mount coils are awesome and are very physically stable. I think the AQ will have such a coil. Eric has tweaked the internals of the detector for better gold response.....I think similar to the mods done by Mr. Bill on the Surf Pi Pro. It will be powered by a 10 cell NiMH battery pack or a 3 cell Lithium pack. I’m not going crazy with extra voltage such as the TDIBH so the standard 12v nominal will be more than adequate. I plan to keep the headphones stock.....I’ve always liked White’s 🎧 

Pictures will be added as soon as possible.

I was thinking if the Surf Pi Pro is good enough for Steve in Hawaiian conditions then its good enough for me 👍

Tony

• Like 4

My understanding is that the coil is the limiter to how short of timing you can get. I have two different vintage pi’s and a DF.  All pretty close in performance. The EQ800 and CTX proved superior in my beach testing but the surf pi is great fun to use.  My gp extreme won over all for depth but it is heavy and the salt air is bad for it.  Someone needs to make a fast waterproof coil for aftermarket sale so we can get those gold chains!

On 11/11/2019 at 3:25 AM, Tony said:

I have managed to secure myself an unused (outdoors) Whites’s Surf Pi Pro that a very nice person called Eric Foster currently owns. It’s had a few changes too by Eric.

Isn't he the designer of the TDI series?

When the TDI first came out I seen it was in the same box my Eagle II was in . I ordered another stand and mode it fit my TDI. I’d posted it on another forum that Cougar Jim had at the time and within a month White’s posted the same stand with nothing different.

I then ordered something between 5 to 10 from Digger Bob and gave them to TDI owners. One of the ones that I sent went to Eric Foster.

Chuck