3d Coil Ears

dewcon4414

Ive seen a post that someone put up giving the program for a 3d printer coil ears.... and one that slips over the ears.    But... how many of us have access to the 3D printer?   I checked Ebay .... where i expected to see a few ...... but nada.   Anyone selling these?   Id like to get my hands on a couple for the Nox.   Ive broken the ears off mine once and this seems like  a good solution to protect them OR repair them once the warranty is out over the price of a new coil.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Ive seen a post that someone put up giving the program for a 3d printer coil ears.... and one that slips over the ears.    But... how many of us have access to the 3D printer?   I checked Ebay .... where i expected to see a few ...... but nada.   Anyone selling these?   Id like to get my hands on a couple for the Nox.   Ive broken the ears off mine once and this seems like  a good solution to protect them OR repair them once the warranty is out over the price of a new coil.

Here is a couple links:

https://www.detectingdoodads.com/store/c4/Accessories_for_Minelab_Equipment.html

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3949618

• Like 4

On 11/11/2019 at 10:38 AM, Glenn in CO said:

Anybody tried these yet?  Looks like a good device.

When installing over unbroken coil ears would the coil ear stiffener be glued to the top of the coil and to the ears or just dry fitted?  If glued, what glue would be best for the 3D printed plastic?

I had the ears moved from the back of one of my coils recently on another machine to the center.  The ears was done by a 3d printer im told..... an industrial ABS glue was used.   Been on a couple of months now and i strictly water hunt so it gets a lot of torque.  Thanks for the sites.   Since the two ears are connected to each other i wouldnt think they would need to be glued down for strength.

Following up on my previous comment and Dew's above.  I emailed Don at Detecting Doodads and he said no glue is required, just slip the coil ear stiffener over the existing ears.  My stiffener should be here 11/18.

Some may have to glue if they have broken ears.  I've also heard ABS type glue is the way to go, as Dew mentions, in that case.

ABS glue i can tell you WORKS.   It holds.    Im going to order one just to see.   I currently use large nylon washers on the outside as supports to keep from cranking down those coil bolts.   However, having that one piece design would without a doubt be a better option.  Ill let you know if it fits the Andersons shaft.

• Like 2

The guy who makes these was right it doesnt fit with the Anderson shaft.   Soooo we modify lol.   You can see i cut the middle out.   Now the lower head dont touch through out movements .... just like its not there.   this is a pretty cool stablizer for $19.

IMG_0293.JPG

Clever, Dew.  Gotta Dew what ya gotta Dew to make it work!  Sorry 😐 

I received and installed the ear stiffener on the factory lower shaft.  No problem with coil and lower shaft clearance so no mod needed.  The coil bolt is plenty long enough so no issues there either.  It was difficult to feed the coil bolt through all of the stiffener, shaft and coil ears.  That took a few tries.  I might try slightly beveling the end of the coil bolt if I take it out again.  Other than that, the cost and shipping were both good.  Wish it came in black though, but the red isn't objectionable.

I took my bolt out ... which wasnt easy ..... it was FULL of sand.   So i had to clean the bolt and nuts.  I was surprised at how much sand got in there.   The material seemed very sturdy even with my mod it seemed to loose no strength.   I no longer have a CTX...... but was wondering if it might fit them as well?  If it does for those out of warranty worried about that big price tag of one of those coils this might work.