Well, Eight Days In Nevada Produced No Gold....

My old friend, Dave , and I spent 8 days in Nevada last 2 weeks. Found no gold, but did find a new area to explore. Gives us a decent place to Iook forward to this winter. I found a .44 Henry rimfire cartridge, my first, and two copper nuggets, my second and third. Dave found several round balls of various calibers, and of course, many spent bullets. We also found some really fresh lion tracks well out from the mountains on the valley floor about 40 miles west of Winnemucca. That was pretty interesting, as the tracks were made in dust, and were nearly perfect. Had to be made the night before. Probably a young cat trying to locate a decent place to set up a territory. Not much big game around, but lots of wild horses.
Jim

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Jim,

Steve, is more than right!  You’ll fall in Love with the openness of that high desert!  Much easier swinging in the desert regions than these steep hills out here in California too!  Don’t think for a minute that I’ve never been skunked out there looking for new patches of gold.  You keep swinging, they’ll end up under your coil one day soon!

Rick

• Like 8

LOL...that's all true, for sure. I live in a desert, and have always preferred the desert, and desert-edge mountains as the place to spend my outdoor time. Dave and I are not at all disappointed. We had a great time, and that's what really counts. The looking is what's fun, and the challenge.

Jim

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Gee Jim, I'm sorry you did not do better with the gold. Sadly the nuggets are not growing back as fast as they are being found. Back in the 80's and even 90's we heard a lot more about one ounce days. Now it's more like a few grams is a big day, and too many skunk days in between.

At least in Nevada I can wander around in the sun in open country not finding gold. In Alaska is was more like thick brush dodging bears while being swarmed by mosquitoes in pouring down rain. And no snakes and crazy sticker bushes like Arizona. Nevada when it is nice is some of the most pleasant metal detecting I've ever done, gold or no gold.

northern-nevada-wide-open-spaces.jpg

Ha...it was darned sure warm enough, Steve. 66-71 in the afternoons. The week before it had been single-digits at home, so we took flannel shirts....big mistake....LOL

Jim

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

My old friend, Dave , and I spent 8 days in Nevada last 2 weeks. Found no gold, but did find a new area to explore. Gives us a decent place to Iook forward to this winter. I found a .44 Henry rimfire cartridge, my first, and two copper nuggets, my second and third. Dave found several round balls of various calibers, and of course, many spent bullets. We also found some really fresh lion tracks well out from the mountains on the valley floor about 40 miles west of Winnemucca. That was pretty interesting, as the tracks were made in dust, and were nearly perfect. Had to be made the night before. Probably a young cat trying to locate a decent place to set up a territory. Not much big game around, but lots of wild horses.
Jim

Cool about seeing fresh cat tracks I was mountain biking in the Santa Cruz mountains in Northern California one afternoon I just finished a long climb and cresting the top of the hill found myself face to face with a big cat just standing in the middle of the trail. As soon as I spotted him I got off my bike a made myself look a big as possible as we stood there eyeing each other he was at a distance of roughly 50 feet from where I stopped my bike. Eventually after 15 - 20 seconds that seemed much longer he just slinked off into the brush, i on the other hand decided to end my ride and quickly turned my bike around for a hasty retreat downhill.

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 1

7 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

Cool about seeing fresh cat tracks I was mountain biking in the Santa Cruz mountains in Northern California one afternoon I just finished a long climb and cresting the top of the hill found myself face to face with a big cat just standing in the middle of the trail. As soon as I spotted him I got off my bike a made myself look a big as possible as we stood there eyeing each other he was at a distance of roughly 50 feet from where I stopped my bike. Eventually after 15 - 20 seconds that seemed much longer he just slinked off into the brush, i on the other hand decided to end my ride and quickly turned my bike around for a hasty retreat downhill.

Hey Clark, we got over there in that area I've been looking at, and you know. That's where I found the copper nuggets, and old cartridge, but farther up the canyon. We'll be going back next year, for sure. We found some diggings that are well-hidden, and looked like nobody had found them in a while. The other locale, below the tailings, had been hit lately...many uncovered dig holes, so we looked elsewhere. Went all the way over to Patterson poking around.

Jim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Hey Clark, we got over there in that area I've been looking at, and you know. That's where I found the copper nuggets, and old cartridge, but farther up the canyon. We'll be going back next year, for sure. We found some diggings that are well-hidden, and looked like nobody had found them in a while. The other locale, below the tailings, had been hit lately...many uncovered dig holes, so we looked elsewhere. Went all the way over to Patterson poking around.

Jim

The spot farther up the canyon sounds like very interesting ground indeed, if you camp out up there for the night with the big cats roaming around don’t forget to bring the dog and gun for under your pillow😀.