Virginia Relic Hunt Captures Some Keepers And A Bucket Lister

3 minutes ago, kac said:

Was there a lot of trash out there? Cool Finds.

The soil was extremely hot.  There were areas of extreme iron trash and square nails abounded..   Not a lot of modern trash though.  The attached pic will give you some idea and that is only from Day 1.

75066647_1274497202761340_3568304888746082304_o.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats on a most excellent hunt!  A US Cavalry bit boss is also on my bucket list, as well as a belt plate or box plate.

We have a civil war Union Army camp site that's porked out hundreds of 3 ringer drops, dozens and dozens of buttons of all types, Hardy hat pins, a few coins and other great relics, but no belt plates, box plates or bit bosses have been dug, which to be honest, I cannot quite understand.  We're also confused by the lack of coins, one seated half dollar and a seated half dime have been dug, and that's it.  Odd. 

• Like 2

Chase,

Very nice finds,I wanted to get out over the weekend, but I am married and the wife had a list of things for me to do that was a mile long. I am just at the half mile mark on them so it might be another week for me to get out.

Snow today and very cold the rest of the week, but I will get out there on Saturday. Well maybe Sunday.

With that said Congrats on the find.

• Thanks 1

Excellent finds, Hugh!  Well done giving the Eqx a chance in that super highly mineralized ground.  Glad to see you were able to find some time in your busy schedule to get out, particularly before the winter weather hits.  For those of us semi-ignorant in Civil War history, could you explain what a 'US cavarly bit boss' was used for?

It's ironic that I've never gone CW relic hunting but in my hometown have found 2 or 3 CW items, including a cartridge box plate which I reported back in July 2018 (found on 4th of July!):

I also found one CW eagle coat button and a Mexican-American War dragoon coat button.  All three of these were from different hometown parks here in Indiana, where no battles were ever fought.  Meanwhile I've only found one silver quarter and no silver coins of larger denomination even though old coins are what I crave.  Go figure.

• Like 2

Great finds Chase,

I'm hoping to do some detecting along the "Thigpen Trail" in Georgia next month! As well as hunting, and detecting on family property!  I already have found dozens of arrowheads, and worked flint there over the years! But this year I'm allowing more time to detect! Also have some old home sites to locate!

Who knows, the deer may be safe this year if i locate some good spots!🦌💰

• Like 1

Looks like a very successful hunt to me.  Well I'd be 100% satisfied with finds like that.

• Like 1