" Dualing " Equinox

Flowdog

At last, I am meeting an old friend for our first detecting session together. We bought our Equinoxs last March and I have used mine a lot. He hasn't used his very much. It just dawned on me that I don't know how to adjust our machines to reduce/eliminate interference with each other. The manual says to keep about 45 feet apart. That is my recollection, but I will check that simple factoid against my simple memory. But I am hoping to stay closer if it is possible to adjust settings.

My instinct would be to go through my normal routine first- before turning on his detector. Recently, I have my pinpointer on before I turn my detector on (thanks Steve). This has nearly eliminated pinpointer jitters in my headphones. I plan to turn both pinpointers on before I set up my unit as usual. Once all is set, then I will have him turn on #2 and.set it up and noise cancel it against the competition. Any and all suggestions to revise my plan are welcome. 

Last consideration, which is highly improbable, is using WM08 to share audio on a single machine. The one time we shared audio was in the cockpit of his Cessna, and we reverted back to 5th grade behavior at 5000 feet. We barely made it back. I have high confidence that it would be extremely unproductive to be linked to him for any amount of time. He would be in full agreement.

-curtis

• Haha 2

• The title was changed to " Dualing " Equinox

That seems workable...it is what I do when detecting with other machines....you should be able to stay close enough to talk but you will likely need to turn off one machine to check signals...or lay it down some distance away...

if you can pair  two wireless modules to one machine he could listen to your machine....or get a twin plug that takes two headphones....

I would show him how to set up and  turn him loose!

Fred

• Thanks 1

You can detect much closer than 45 feet. Realize the depth on both detectors will be reduced even if you don't hear each other. If you're not concerned with getting maximum depth, reduce gain or sensitivity to 60  or so and you'll be able to hit shallow 4-5" depth coins and jewelry while detecting 10' or less apart. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hunt with guys that also use the Equinox all the time. All we do is noise cancel when we get close and that seems to work fine. We oft times hunt very close together checking each others signals and so on.  You might have to put the coil behind you or off to one side when checking signals but it's not anything to be to concerned about. Good luck and have fun hunting with your friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fredmason said:

I would show him how to set up and  turn him loose!

Fred,

That would make two old coots loose in the same park. But it is the goal.  I may give the WM08 a try. I believe one unit can pair with 4 headsets. My only hesitation being Our attention span when linked. 7 to 10 seconds max.️I think it's worth a try just because it's doable. Maybe for the first target just to see if my version of setup is tolerable to him. 

Will PM you if we need bail. It was your idea to turn him loose.😊

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

You can detect much closer than 45 feet. Realize the depth on both detectors will be reduced even if you don't hear each other. If you're not concerned with getting maximum depth, reduce gain or sensitivity to 60  or so and you'll be able to hit shallow 4-5" depth coins and jewelry while detecting 10' or less apart. 

Thanks Tom for this useful information. I am so used to running my machine quiet/hot that I would have not considered sensitivity level  as part of  the compatibility equation. You probably saved us an entire day if not more!👍

4 hours ago, Tometusns said:

All we do is noise cancel when we get close and that seems to work fine.

Tometusns, 

Your simple advise is much appreciated. The noise cancel function got bigger as soon as I read it.

BTW, I can assure you that my friend and I are going to have a TON of fun. Thanks!

• Like 2

I have been close to another equinox at the beach less than 45’ with no emi. You could also turn down sensitivity. But by the time you do that plus noise cancel and ground balance you are limiting your machine. 

Easiest suggestion is simply go in different directions at first then meet later to discuss. Cell phone off or in back pocket far from cool as possible. 

Also noticed if my coil is the slightest bit tilted so it points at another machine or even my scoop it will pick it up. So coil management helps too. 

Have fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tometusns said:

I hunt with guys that also use the Equinox all the time. All we do is noise cancel when we get close and that seems to work fine. We oft times hunt very close together checking each others signals and so on.  You might have to put the coil behind you or off to one side when checking signals but it's not anything to be to concerned about. Good luck and have fun hunting with your friend.

Same experience here.  I hunt with a friend who also has an 800 and we've had no problems at 6 feet or less and when double checking each others targets.  We do noise cancel.  I also hunt with my brother who has an ATPro and we don't have problems.  

• Like 2

I hunted a demo site in San Francisco with about 5 other Equinox users at the same time, as well as a CTX and Exp2.  Most of the EMI was from the city itself, we were right next to the Muni bus overhead electrical lines for their electric bus line, and it was okay.  A bit noisy, but not too bad.  The second time we hunted there, the EMI was so bad that I had to switch to the 6" coil which quited it down quite a bit, and I had a great hunt digging nine silver coins in one hunt.      Most recently I hunted with a couple of other EQ800 users in the desert at a stage stop and we didn't have any issues at all, I was able to run my machine wide open.  The site wasn't that great, but we didn't have cross-talk issues.   YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1