" Dualing " Equinox

Flowdog

9 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

The second time we hunted there, the EMI was so bad that I had to switch to the 6" coil which quited it down quite a bit, and I had a great hunt digging nine silver coins in one hunt. 

I appreciate the reminder using the 6 incher to quiet things down if necessary. I have been using the 11 every time I go out lately, and wouldn't have thought about switching if, in fact, these unfamiliar  emi/ground conditions force us to cover less turf per swing due to noise. Not so severe a penalty, especially if we can find some silver coins ... 1 would be great. 9 is off the charts!

Funny you should mention desert Stage stops. We were talking about how fun it would be to hunt the Pony Express trail. 

• Like 1

Another trick to reduce EMI (I don't mean from other detectors) is to lower the recovery speed.

EMI Primer

EMI can affect Equinox use one of three ways:

It can enter via the coil (most common for high power EMI souces such as power lines or other detectors), via the control head (most common from cell phones or other near field sources) and finally via the wireless phones (rare but not impossible).

First line of defense for continuous noise or nearby pinpointer or detector interference is a noise cancel.   This is especially effective if the source is another Equinox.  With the 800 you have the option of either auto or manual noise cancel.  Try manual to select a quiet channel if auto is ineffective.  Remember that noise cancel is mode specific because of the various mode dependent frequency profiles, so you have to do it separately for any mode you use during the session.

Second line of defense is lower sensitivity.  Lower gradually until the chatter just disappears.  If you are uncomfortable with a significantly lowered sensitivity setting, then...

Third line of defense is switch modes or switch to single frequency (higher single frequencies tend to be less EMI sensitive) and attempt to find a quiet option.  Beach modes are the least sparky modes (Beach 2 least of all), followed by Park 1, Field 1, Field 2, Park 2, and finally the Gold modes.  

Lowering recovery speed can sometimes help but at the expense of potentially increasing ground noise, which could be overcome by increasing sweep speed and/or doing a ground balance.

Switching to a less RF sensitive coil (i.e., smaller antenna) although that can backfire if the coil resonant frequency (determined by the coil dimensions not the detector operating frequency) happens to be close to the EMI frequency.  Switching to the 6 inch coil will not work if the EMI is entering the detector via the contro head.

If you are getting interference through the wireless phones, switch to the WM08 or plug your wired phones directly into the detector.

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2