Garrett ATX Poor Design - Stay Away From This Unit

GeoJack

Just found out that I need to spend $540 for a new coil because a plastic pin holds the coil to the shaft.  Unit was dropped from waist level and snapped this polystyrene  pin. 

"Showing the picture to our Technician unfortunately the broken pin in it is not reparable, never seen the happened before in 10 years the detector came out  You will need to buy a new coil."

10" x 12" (25 x 31 cm) DD Open Searchcoil
PN: 2234600.....$529.95

Yep, 10" x 12" coil held to the shaft with a plastic pin that is non-reparable and worth $530.

Will repair and sale the unit. Done with Garrett...

20191112_150220.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 4
  • Oh my! 1

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I found out about that pin when doing my ATX strip down and rebuild. Found out about it by breaking it! I pried it apart however so I don't blame Garrett for that.

I'd still like to build your version of the ATX, Steve. So far, I've been unable to find one cheap enough to use. But I haven't given up hope.

Jim

• Like 1

LOL...yup. Though it would have to be a deal....my wife has decided I need to do some urban renewal of the house this winter.....the wages of sin are death...LOL Too much prospecting.

Jim

• Like 1

Sold my ATX early this year. Had coil replaced once under warranty for the curley coil cable jacket cracking. Garrett told the dealer that would be the LAST and ONLY time they would replace for this particular defect. So got the brand new replacement coil at the doorstep and thought before I installed it, I would check the coil cable - can you guess?...Yep, brand new coil right from the factory had the cracks in the jacket! And before you say it wouldn't affect performance - try running it in SALT water like I did with the original coil...false signals and would not balance in the end, even after washing with fresh water and letting dry for months. The cable was compromised by water ingression.  

Needless to say, someone else owns my ATX now. As Steve said, the design of the whole thing made me shake my head. Thanks for speaking the TRUTH, Steve. You are admirable that way. 🙂

Beav

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1