Diggin' It: I prefer to use a quality Alkaline battery, and very seldom use a rechargeable battery of any type.  When I do, it  is a NiMH.  I do have some on-hand, including the (white) Eneloops and Varta.  I NEVER use a Rayovac of any type, and haven't since '87/'88.  Even back then, doing a lot of battery comparisons in both metal detectors and flashlights (which I have more of than I do detectors) I got much better run-time with just about any other brand.   Sometimes I get a detector in a trade and the seller has installed brand new Rayovac, so I use them up to check operating performance/duration.  Never as good as what I use.

GB_Amateur: Yes, I have used the Costco 'house-brand' 'Kirkland' AA alkaline batteries and have for a long time.  I remember when they used to cost $10.xx for a 48-pack and the last time I bought them they were $12.00 for a 48-pack (here in the USA).  When I checked with Costco corporate years ago I was told they were made for them by Proctor & Gamble, the same folks who make the Duracell batteries.

And what you have found is quite true, and that is not all alkaline batteries are the same.  I have had very little to no problems at all with the Duracell and Kirkland AA alkaline batteries, nor with  the Varta or Nuon batteries.  I also buy a 60 pack from the Albertson's grocery store that last well and without problems.  I believe the last package cost me just pennies less than $11.

On occasion I find a "house brand" 'JobSmart' offered by Tractor Supply that are on sale for something like $5 for a pack of 36 or 48 and I'll buy several packs, especially during a busier detecting season, or when headed off on an Outing to be prepared for some of the participants who sometimes forget to come prepared with extra batteries.  I still got an average run-time hours of operation run-time in my Nokta / Makro CoRe, Relic, Racer 2 and Impact and White's MX-7, IDX Pro and XLT models.  But I prefer (alphabetically) Duracell, Energizer, Kirkland and Nuon brands of alkaline batteries, and haven't been let-down by Panasonic or those I get from Albertsons grocery or Tractor Supply.

Monte.

• Like 2

Been using Blackube lipo batteries for 3/4 of a year now. Solid performers and less effected by the cold. They have a spaghetti cord with micro usb ports to recharge which works good as you can use any usb power source that is suitable for a phone. Battery life is approx double. One downside is because they run nearly full power until they run out don't expect your battery indicator to be accurate. I charge mine after 30 hours or so on my Tejon. Charge time is 2 hours or so from fully drained.  Also note their AA batters have the same voltage as an alkaline unlike nicad which are less.