Qed User First Experience & Review

Dave63

When I set the THS-B I raise it until I got a tone at 60. I then lowered THS-B to a tone at 40. So NULL is 50. I can then raise or lower from null to increase sensitivity to small or large targets

Thx for that. I see you start at the lower end of THS-B and mover it higher to compensate for other adjustments. Your use of mode 11 is very interesting.

I will take some notes and try your method next time out.

Thx again

I will have a play around tomorrow and let you know how it goes

Cheers

Do you recommend the 15"x10" or the 12"x6" for QED ?  Compared to 11" Detech Ultra Sensing which I already have

Dave 63, if your QED has the latest DSM ground balance which ranges from 0 to 300 then it is unlikely that you will achieve a proper ground balance below 200 and more than likely you will ground balance between 220 and 230 depending on the mineralization in your area.

I suggest you start at 220, and if your detector makes sound from ground upward as you raise it, then increase using the upward arrow until you achieve a balance. If it makes sound going down then decrease using down arrow until you achieve balance.

The factory preset is way off since the DSM has been introduced and has caused some confusion.

• Like 1

After I do my initial setup as talked about above I off camera apply all the advice I have received on this AEGPF and Detector Prospector

So the end setup was reached by

1. Factory Reset
2. MGB - Changed from default to 220 as a start point - Not balance yet though.
3. Mode - Set to 3
4. THS-B - Set to Null
5.THS-A - Set to highest I can get until I hear a soft tone
6. Gain - Set to 6
7. Adjust THS-B and THS-A to stop noise created by Gain at 6
8. Lower THS-B couple clicks below Null for enhance small target response.

I think this setup still requires some tuning. Time in the field swinging is required. I need to carry a test piece of lead to confirm my setup at each location.

Video

https://youtu.be/dL2Z8-29G_k

Spielberg I am not

Thx for the feedback. More testing and swinging to be done.

Dave - you beat me to it!!  I made a video for you (and anyone else) and have been trying to navigate iMovies and Youtube.   Not easy the first time through but will be from now on.  

My first vid about detecting so be gentle.   I will watch yours now but from the write up you have put above we have gone about things a little similar but a little different also.  I'm sure no 2 detectors or detectorists will ever use things in exactly the same way.  

Probably a couple of things to mention.  

This was to set up for small targets. 

The speaker is very loud but that was just for the vid as I had no idea how it would come through the Go-Pro.  

Setting up for large targets with bigger coils is similar only send the THS-B up instead of down.

I am still to test a higher Mode or a lower Mode as being better for larger targets.  I think the theory is a higher Mode but will have a play.  

Of course, this just my method  👍

Cheers, NE.  

Thx Northeast. Excellent Video. As you said a different take on setup again.

MGB. Confirmed needs to be above 200

THS-B.  You use it to create the tone I was with THS-A. Then clean it up with THS-A

THS-A. My THS-A is to high as confirmed by you and phrunt.

Mode. Is a bit of a mystery still. Some like it as low as possible. Others say it is coil dependent for stability. I will be sticking to 3-4 for detech coil. Mode 11 is for beach which turns off Ground Balance. So with modes 1 to 10 are we playing ? What

Gain. Higher gain better the signal or are we just playing with volume

I am asking a lot of questions of everyone. I just like to know what I am actually adjusting.

I taken many notes to everyone's setup. Now I need to put the time in the field.

Thank you all very much for your tuition.

I will be continuing to put my experiences in the thread

19 minutes ago, Dave63 said:

THS-A. My THS-A is to high as confirmed by you and phrunt.

Yes and no.  I see others over on AEGPF that run a Null THS B and the THS A at Max (90).  They can then also generally up their Gain as well.  As with many detectors personal preference is key.  Some like a silent machine, I prefer a threshold.  

22 minutes ago, Dave63 said:

Mode. Is a bit of a mystery still.

Mode 1 runs its 'pulse' very quickly which is better for small targets.   But I think the theory is that it can also be more prone to ground noise.   Thus, people try to use as lower Mode as possible but if they can't gain a GB at Mode 1 they increase to 2.  If they can't GB at 2 they increase to 3 and so on.  

Phrunt is very lucky in that his ground is so un-mineralised that he can run Mode 11 and still achieve a GB.  Mode 3 is pretty standard for me with the Detech.  

I have noticed that on different days some Modes can be quieter than others with regard to EMI.  Holding the coil still on the ground and moving up through the Modes you can hear different pulses and noises coming through.  Yesterday Mode 3 and 5 were the quietest at my location.  Just different frequencies picking up different things I guess.   

Another vid coming in a minute.