Qed User First Experience & Review

Dave63

A vid of the targets I found with the settings I showed on that first vid.   

All rubbish unfortunately but not surprised.  

The threshold is uncomfortably loud but with the Quest, some sports earphones and a lower Pitch it is comfortable to listen to.  

Hope it you helps you Dave and anyone else that is interested.  Maybe you will work out what not to do  🤣

Reg, JR, Phrunt - happy for constructive critiquing  😉

• Like 3

Thx again Northeast

• Like 1

Thx again Northeast

4 hours ago, fredmason said:

to. I wonder if the hotrocks will fade, tune out

I actually haven’t tried ground balancing over a little pile of them in that other spot. Might be worth a try.   
They might be what is better described as cold rocks? They are positive numbers on the Equinox.   
A DD might not change anything with them but will give it a go also.  

• Like 1

G'Day All

Today I went and found an old mine. No Luck today

Todays Settings

MGB: 214
THS-B 48
THS-A 001
Gain 6
Mode 3

THS-A at 001 was the point where the detector was at its most stable with gain on 6. QED still was most stable at Gain of 2

Cheers
Still a lot of intermittent noise, basically all the time

G'Day All

Had a phone session with Goldman. Having my control box checked out
Cheers

G'Day All

Quick update to my Setup problems. After an on the phone lesson with Goldman. I sent my box back for testing.

Bench test found my SMR was not filtering EMI at factory Default of 107 so been changed to 109.

Bonus for the trip was the latest Firmware updated which has made changes to GB. Box in on the way back to me now.

This is one of the great advantages of the QED EXCELLENT customer service, with fast turnaround on diagnostics. LOVE your work !

Any of the other major detectors and I would not have seen my detector for weeks !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day All

I got my QED back yesterday, so today I took it out for a test, before hitting the Gold Fields. My QED required a custom tune to filter EMI. My default setting for SMR is now 109 where all other QED has a default of 107. I also got the latest Firmware update that lows the required number for GB and negates the need to GB after a Mode change.

I rang Brian who as always was more than willing to pass on as much info as he could. He explained the reason for the firmware update. As spoken about by other QED Users with the previous Firmware 220 or above was required to GB. Brian did not like the fact that the GB number was so close to Maximum. So the new Firmware put GB lower.

So my settings before the tune up at the same location: Sadie Coil

GB : 225
THS-B: 55
THS-A: 30
Gain: No higher than 2 before detector became unstable
Mode: 1
SMR: 107

After Tune-up & Firmware: Sadie Coil

GB: 110
THS-B: 52
THS-A 65
Gain: Depended on THS-A setting. THS-A at default Gain of 10 no problems. THS-A at 65 Gain 6 no problems which is optimum for depth.
Mode: 1
SMR : Custom Default of 109

My QED is now firing on all cylinders. On my best settings I was getting approx. 700mm above a bottle top on the surface of the ground.

Again my thanks to Brian and Howard for their prompt diagnosis and tuneup. NO better customer service anywhere.

Cheers

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

Well I went out to Dukari GPA for a day trip 2 1/2 hrs there and back. Long day. This is my first time in the goldfields since getting my QED back. 6 Hours Total. Wanted to play with the setting to get a feel for different combos. Found two pieces of lead 10g and 6g they didn't really jump out at me considering they where in the top layer of soil 1st scrap.
I am unsure of my settings as I am yet to find a target that is more than a cm underground. All lead and other metals (In the top layer of dirt) because of this it is making it hard for me to know if I am getting any depth. Hence me playing around with the settings all the time

I have the amended Firmware update so my GB numbers may appear low compared to AUG 19 update
So today GB was anywhere from 95 - 126. It was hard to tell if I was truly GB as there was very little change in tone across the range

I used different combos of setup to see how it effected the QED.

Factory reset

Sadie Mode 1 worked on all combos
11" Detech Ultra stuck to Mode 3-4
Gain. I tried to maintain Mode 6 throughout, but in doing do I had to have a strong threshold noise
THS-B Null found after Gain set to 6 was from low of 40 to High of 70 Null = 55
THS-B Null found before Gain moved from default low of 44 to high of 62 Null = 53

So avg Null was 54 regardless of Gain

THS-A was the apple that upset the apple cart in every combo I used.

If I set THS-A after Gain and left it at default the QED was basically silent. Right up to Gain of 10. Raising THS-A to 40 the hum started 65 hum was to loud
If I set THS-A before gain 65 was still silent. Raise gain to 4 hum kicked in, Gain 6 again to loud

In the end I used the QED in what I will call noisy and silent setup
Detech Coil

Noisy:
Mode 3
THS-B Between 49-52 Enhance small targets
Gain 6
THS-A Between 45-55 depending on how loud the hum
GB 109

When I say noisy the tone is not a constant even hum, it is wavy with random beeps through out

Silent:
Mode 3
THS-B 49-52
Gain 6
THS-A default
GB 109

When I say Silent I was getting a lot of random beeps, but these are quite distinct from a target signal

When using the QED I like the fact that I can make it silent, to achieve this either Gain is low or THS-A is low. I am unsure as to the effect on depth.
I need a good test patch. I need to find somewhere near my home and copy the coiltek patch in target size and depth

Thanks for putting up with my reviews. Writing these is helping me gather my thoughts

When gain is raised to 3 is the interference or random beeps I experience. So now after what I experienced today this video make a hole lot more sense

• Thanks 2