Qed User First Experience & Review

Dave63

Hi Dave. 

As with many detectors it is possibly better to start with a Gain of 1.  Even on the GPZ I would start lower and then bring the Sensitivity up, up, up until it starting getting ratty and then moved it back 1or 2 until threshold was steady again.  There is a good vid on here somewhere with Kevin Hoagland and Bill Southern at a GPAA (I think) convention giving a talk and they discuss setting Sensitivity/Gain.  (It is here - second post down).  

You should be able to get good depth on targets - even with the Sadie.  Especially a 10 gram slug of lead.  

A few days ago I headed out with the Sadie and actually put a few good hours into it. Mostly I’d used the Detech 11” ultra sensing. 

Ths B - 44.  Now range was 40-52 so Null would have been 46. So 44 was ‘2 below Null’ - i was in a small target area.  

THS A - 50.  This seems the sweet spot for me for all my coils. 

Gain 5.  A couple of points higher than what I can run it on the 11”. Smaller coil = less EMI I suppose. 

Mode 2.  I did start the day in Mode 1 but this started to get some EMI spikes when it got real hot so bumped it up to Mode 2. 

With these settings it was silent and I did pick up a few targets that I have previously missed in a small area that I have smashed with 4 different detectors. Unfortunately no targets were gold. 

I’ve just turned the QED on in the kitchen to test some pieces with the same settings locked in. 

9 gram piece in the photo - 19 cms (about 7.5 inches). 
Small specimen piece about 3 cm (bit over an inch). 

This was all with the speaker which I normally don’t use.  Headphone settings using the Quest may have been slightly different  

Your THS-B range seems very large. I know each QED is different in that respect but not sure if such a large range is the norm?  Maybe the more recent upgrade variant has changed something. Perhaps a question for Howard. 

Keep trying, you’ll get there 👍🏻

0270C408-E073-4AED-9360-6FA8F9A1AE25.jpeg.73349df01ced67effc7d50740ce7f351.jpeg

• Like 1

Question for Goldman or Howard

QED Pitch adjustment is this Threshold or target adjustment.

Why I ask. I have hearing loss and Tinnitus. Threshold pitch adjustment will give me better Threshold target id

Northeast that video was gold in itself Thx

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMYPa8z1tEJNX_-SpZmiMfQ

• 2 weeks later...

Setting today
Detech 11" Ultra

Factory Default - Hum started straight away

Best results for rest of settings

THS-B 54 ( Null is 55. Tested as Suggested turned THS-A up to 80 and Changed THS-B until most quiet point = 55) Normal up to highest 65 lowest 47 so Null 55 both ways
GB around 100 most of day at some point could not GB unless Gain on 1
THS-A 40 to 65 Depending on noise I could put up with
Gain 3 most stable up to 6 to much EMI noise
Mode 3 Lowering  Mode made noise worst Raising no change from Mode 3

If Gain was on 6 THS-A 40. If THS-A on 65 Gain 2 max

Still a lot of intermittent EMI with coil on the ground and moving.
Did open air test with a piece of .8g gold I have. Best distance I could get about 2 inch. On top of the ground ranged from two inch to having to have coil rest on plastic vile to register.
At max depth of test Difficult to tell difference between EMI and signal. I could only tell because I could see test target.
From what I can see on all the Youtube Vids everyone elses QED seems to be reacting differently to mine

If I was digging down to reveal rubbish targets I wouldnt be concerned as Its only a matter of time to hit yellow, but everything I am finding is sitting on the surface

You need some help as your settings seem to be all wrong. No way should you have a GB of 100. That is way out. I suggest you get some help as you seem to be totally out of your depth. It is not so difficult, but you really need some advice.

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Reg is right 100 is way too low for your GB.

Yes and no, Dave does have the new GB mini-update that lowered GB a little.  

I'm wondering if it is a dodgy coil too.   

The hum on start up with factory defaults is a concern.  

Dave,

this reminds me of when I fist started detecting for gold.....lots of comments but not one person offering to meet up with me.

If the machine works but not correctly, you have no comparison to judge with.

I had that problem but didn’t know the extent of the issues until I got some comparisons.

I once drove 400 miles to meet up with Reg Sniff just to confirm That detector was totally stuffed!

I hope someone steps up

fred

I live in Brisbane. No-one here to go and see. Bit Far to Victoria for a Road trip

Cheers Fred

• Like 1

Yep, big drive!   Hopefully the tested stuff I have posted over on PA will provide some direct comparisons for you.  

If that checks out same or similar then we can stick the 11" Detech Ultra's on and test them the same way  👍

Considering these were done on a kitchen table and we don't have to take into account the ground mineralisation and they are in the Factory Defaults anyone should be able to compare notes.  Phunt - do you have a Sadie?  

The Quest wireless, the provided speaker or any other aftermarket BlueTooth setup should be the only variables that we have to deal with.  

I just sent the Control Box. I just tried the speaker not Quest same results