Qed User First Experience & Review

Dave63

17 minutes ago, Dave63 said:

I just tried the speaker not Quest same results

You mean you got the same results as this -

"Laid on the kitchen (plastic) table with the coil vertical and a plastic ruler stuck just under the coil. 

Factory Defaulted. Quest wireless on full. Can't hear a threshold but can just, just, hear a few tiny noises popping through at times. EMI considering we are inside a house. 

5 cent piece - 18cm nice and loud. 

20 cent piece - 19.5cm nice and loud. 

50 cent piece - 22 cm nice and loud."

OK.  I will stick the Detech 11" Ultra on and see how we go  👍 

Ok.   Same procedure as above but with the 11" Detech Ultra Sensing coil.  Laid on table, factory defaulted, Quest on full. 

5 cents 25cm. 

20 cents 19.5cm.  (weird result considering the size of a 20 cent - must be the metal makeup of it?). 

50 cents 28 cm.  

👍

I am under the impression that the QED has many buyers in Oz.... I am wrong again...sorry.

it seems videos are the next best thing...or

send it all back with instruction to test in the field  with another exact same setup....

there are few things worse than hoping your machine is right but not knowing!

OK Here it is 5c 20c 50c test.

Settings best results dasenator777 settings from AEGPF , so much noise if target where in ground I probably would not have ID them as targets. As I could see target I could distinguish target noise

Sadie

MGB 100

B - Null

A - 75

Gain 3

Mode 1

SMF 12,  My default SMF is 109 I may as well been at a rock concert detecting

5c - 22 cm  Clear Signal i would dig 16cm

20c - 19 cm Clear Signal i would dig 12cm

50c  - 22.5cm Clear Signal i would dig 17cm

Northeast Setup

Sadie Coil

MGB 10 0

B -54 (Null is 55) as low as I can go without to much noise

A - 35

G - 1 any higher to much noise

Mode 1 Higher modes no different

SMF - 112 My default SMF is 109

5c - 17cm Clear dig signal

20c - 16cm Clear dig signal

50c - 17.5 Clear dig signal

Just done same test on Detch 11"

Same Settings

NO SIGNALS !!

If I hold the 50c on the coil face all noise stops and then if i rub coin on the coil i get a signal. This will be why I only get targets on top of the ground. !

When I tested detector with Goldman on phone I was using Sadie so I reckon there is still a problem elsewhere. Can a Bad coil screw the rest of the Detector if continually used.

Spoke with Goldman.

Sending my Control Box and 11" Coil back for a Warranty replacement of both. Very Happy with QED service.

• Like 2

Got a couple big trips planned for this year Tibooburra twice. Once as an individual trip and another on way to WA Goldfields on a tag along trip followed by a bit of personal detecting. I am thinking I will need an x-coil 15 x 10 by then

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I received my new QED and Detech coil and went straight to Durikai for a swing.
Found
Buttons
Lead Shot
Boot tacks
Other Metal

Settings
MG 242
B 49
A 45-65
G 4-6
M 4

All finds where in the same area covered by previous QED where I found nothing

Hot rocks where a problem here. Target signal would be in a single spot, but when dug the signal spread across all dug dirt.
EMI I think was why I had to run mode 4. 3 was a bit noisy. 4 was Quiet. Deepest about 19cm that was for a little brass button.
5cent on air test was 19cm also
20cent is weird also least distance on air test. Must be made of different stuff
50cent 19.5cm

Started to rain while I was out. Straight away I wanted a waterproof cover. Definitely needs a dust cover

One point though I ran the sadie for a bit my MG was at 300 got away with 296 very hot area

Very Happy with detector

Again Great Service provided

I am off and running

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

G'Day All

I would like to clear up a couple of things about my QED experience. As some people are  using this as an example as to not buy QED. 

The QED was my first ever detector purchase, so my knowledge on the working of detectors was zero. True my experience didn't start to well as you have all read. My luck I got a bad coil and if I was an experience user I probably would have worked this out very early. Therefore most of my problems would not have even  happened. I did finally work this out with help from people help on forums (By the way this is why we post is it not, to help and be helped).

As the service provided by QED is  excellent, I got a fresh start with new coil and Detector (The fact I got a replacement Detector as well is a testament to QED exceptional  customer service. QED did not have to do this, but product pride is paramount for them, not just a pay check. I don't think any other brand would a have done this) I forgot all about my previous experiences and started again.

Anyone who uses this experience as an example of product quality is just grasping at straws. I know other brands have had their share of product malfunctions as well.

As you will read I have found gold with my QED and am extremely confident that I will find more. I am so confident that yesterday, when my wife said I could buy latest GPX version , I turned down the offer. If I could afford a GPZ AND I lived in an area where I could use it everyday, sure I would buy one, but this is not the case. I am confident that I have bought what suites my budget, detecting opportunities and is equal to the task.

Prior to COVID lock down Trip Update.

Last month I traveled down to Victoria for my nieces birthday. While there I took  the opportunity to have a swing around the GT. I met up with Goldman for a mornings training which was extremely informative. My knowledge of the QED jumped dramatically with regards to target identification and manipulation of the settings. While with Goldman I found a Three pence the photo of which is on the QED Facebook site. I also had my son with me so Goldman kindly lent him his QED for a swing. We also visited Howard for the latest Firmware for my QED. I am very thankful to Goldman and Howard for all their help, training and professional attitude.

I then had a look around Castlemaine, Maryborough ( Where I visited the Goldcentre and bought a Coiltek 14" Elite, I had to buy something excited) I didn't find any gold in these spots just heaps of junk.

I then met up with Jackpot for two days. We detected around WHROO where Jackpot found 4 small bits and I found one .4g piece.

I then headed home back to Brisbane. A truly enjoyable week. I put into practice what Goldman taught me and now I am extremely confident in my target ID and capabilities of this detector

• Like 4

I'm glad you got it all sorted out and are doing well now. It is always a great help when new to all this if you can meet up with experienced users as no amount of reading or watching videos duplicates hands on practice in the field. I've no doubt the QED is a good detector. As you note, all brands or models experience issues and being new to the game really compounds things if you are so unlucky as to have that happen.

Thanks for the followup post - much appreciated.

• Like 2

What is new about the updates ? 

I recieved mines PL2 just before the newer updates. I bought mines with 2 coils and what i could say about the QED is i got to learn it and find lots of trash no gold. The qed is very sensitive but if you move up in modes you will lose a lot of it.  I have also dug ground signals more then i have with my GM not sure why.  I have tried GB and everything sounds like a target to it disappears to who knows where. Recheck , recheck nothing. 

The metal detector is veryyy fragile. Meaning you wouldnt want to drop it or lift it through the control box because it will crack. 

I contacted the seller and i was sent a replacement for all broken pieces but i havent recieved nothing since this Plandemia Has hit.  

I also have had a problem with trying to tune it to fine gold. . i have gotten it sometimes working to i leave everything the same and when i recheck the coil with a the test nugget it wont see it even being rubbed on the coil. This is a .2g nugget.  

I once also tested it with a 2 Gram nugget and i have only been able to pick it up at about 8 inches deep give or take... 

I did get to find lots of metal and i was even coming to think it loved to signal more on iron then gold.  

I wouldnt say i would had found every metal object with the GM but it sure would had made life more simple and straight forward to find gold and Reject all the trash and pick up the gold.  

So at the end of the day. I would ask myself for a inch or two of diffence would it be a good trade over discrimination?