Jump to content

Vanquish Ground Balance Control?


Recommended Posts

Does the vanquish have any sort or ground balancing feature? Even if it is multi frequency, without ground balance, how is it going to compare to the simplex for example?

minelab-vanquish-metal-detector.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

2 hours ago, coinhunterseth said:

Does the vanquish have any sort or ground balancing feature? Even if it is multi frequency, without ground balance, how is it going to compare to the simplex for example?

Multi frequency (Multi IQ)  inherently provides the ability to do some "on-the-fly" ground compensation for both soil and salt beach wet sand.  It is not as sophisticated as dedicated auto ground balance or ground tracking used on single frequency machines or even the Multi IQ-based Equinox.  It is more like Multi IQ is very forgiving to a less than optimal default ground balance.  As such, there is NO dedicated ground balance setting feature associated with the Vanquish as far as I can tell from the released detector information and user guide documentation.

https://www.minelab.com/#product-download-category-files-305749

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually most of the multifrequency detectors ever made by Minelab have had no ground balance control, because the processing is done via frequency comparison and compensation, as Chase has noted. The CTX 3030 was the first to offer a true ground balance. The E-TRAC prior to the CTX only had a Neutral and Difficult ground setting.

As far as how it compares to Simplex it depends where you compare. In a saltwater setting, for instance, multifrequency rules. Simplex probably has an edge in some other area as by all accounts it is a very competitive offering.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

With the detector such as the Vanquish 440, which performs auto ground balance (or Noise Cancel - I imagine trying to reduce the Ground noise and the EMI somehow combined) on startup and is multifrequency - does it make sense to either pump or swing the coil during the startup or keep it 'stationary' near the ground as the manual instructs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mcjtom said:

With the detector such as the Vanquish 440, which performs auto ground balance (or Noise Cancel - I imagine trying to reduce the Ground noise and the EMI somehow combined) on startup and is multifrequency - does it make sense to either pump or swing the coil during the startup or keep it 'stationary' near the ground as the manual instructs?

 

1 hour ago, mcjtom said:

Upon further reading, the matter seems a little more complicated than I thought...

 

Not all that complicated.

The Vanquish noise cancel routine upon initialization has nothing to do with ground balancing nor does it affect ground noise response and is designed to simply find the frequency channel with the least amount of electromagnetic interference.  Most folks simply hold the coil at knee height until the detector is ready to go.

Regarding ground balancing.  Vanquish has a fixed ground reference and does not auto balance nor does it have a manual adjustment - but the fixed ground reference is different depending on the selected mode.  On Vanquish (and Equinox), ground noise manifests solely as high negative target ID numbers when sweeping over the ground with all discrimination removed. The different ground noise response  (i.e., whether the ground noise manifests while moving the coil towards or away from the ground) could be attributed to the different fixed recovery speeds associated with each mode.  HTH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also a somewhat related question: am I right to assume that pressing All Metal button opens up all the discrimination notches but doesn’t change the current recovery speed (it inherits the recovery speed from the mode the detector was on before engaging the All Metal button)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/17/2021 at 2:23 AM, mcjtom said:

Also a somewhat related question: am I right to assume that pressing All Metal button opens up all the discrimination notches but doesn’t change the current recovery speed (it inherits the recovery speed from the mode the detector was on before engaging the All Metal button)?

The "all metal" button is a disc adjustment only - it is not changing modes, just opening all disc segments to accept. Recovery speed is a separate thing. Yes, there is a huge library of stuff you can read to answer all these questions, including owners manuals. This site has it all, you just need to dive in and study. Like the file you referenced and more. People will tend to run out of steam answering you if you just ask a lot of basic questions without taking the time to find the info that's already there that answers those questions.

Reference Library

Downloads Library

Steve's Guides

The forum has an advanced search function - threads with "ground balance" in title

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...