Patches Depleting - Again?

Ok, I just came back from an outing of Bill Southern's.  Minelab America happened to be there.  I had a good time and I took some pictures and found one little nugget which I'll post in a different thread.  I also learned some things which are pertinent for this thread.

Chet was there with his Xcoil and just as JW says, he has on an Xcoil and he doesn't take it off.  It causes him to be thorough and find missed nuggets and others because he believes it will do it.  Today he found a very pretty 2 gram nugget that many detectorists including Doc with his 7000 missed and it was only 5 inches deep.  I also missed it because I wanted to go farther up the wash to the less hunted areas.  Chet will just be methodical where everyone else has been.  So, the coil works if you work it.

More stuff I learned is that there is no Minelab small coil for the 7000.  They believe most users want the big coils and that's the market they want to keep for that machine.  I wish they would let someone develop the small coils for them but I didn't try to delve into that.  Perhaps they are satisfied with selling a Monster or Equinox to someone who wants small gold.  I'm done with the subject.

Something else I learned is that Minelab is a company that makes metal detectors.  They develop new metal detectors on a regular basis as a result of that.  Check with people you know who test and see what they are doing.  This might be a secondary reason for no new coils for the 7000.  They are busy with other projects.

It sounds like the Xcoil is the best game in town to light up the old patches and if you have the time get it and you might not want to get the next generation when it is available.

Does the Xcoil miss any nuggets?  haha 

What can the next generation do to find gold?  Deeper?  Discrimination?  Smaller (do we really need that?) Species?  ???  Lighter?  Cheaper?  Make Steve's PI Challenge?  Will it beat an X/Z?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Mitchel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I should also add ... will it beat an X/Q also?  😁

4 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Here where i live i have lots of open ground that never have been metal detected & most of these hills are gold bearing...just have to look for shallow gold deposits. Most creeks been rich in gold as also the rivers.  . 

Last photo is of us dredging with our Trev's Style Dredge. ..

Where do you live?

Im from the Dominican Republic.  .

• Like 1

Ok, I missed that for my memory with all of my driving!

I've been invited to places in Mexico that have probably not seen the power of the Zed but I've not made the time and I have 'issues' about safety and not knowing the language.  I'd be at the mercy of fines, payola and forfeiture of equipment from the beginning to the end.  Others don't seem to have this problem.

We here dont have that problem... But is always good to be showed around with a local which you give them a percentage of the finds.  .

Thats how things work around here.  .

But other then that you dont find yourself getting into any problem like that here. Well from my experience specially metal detecting.   

• Like 4

Fred,

The exchange rate is still good.  Victoria has lots of inexpensive places to stay but you might want to be in Norvic or JP areas but I know you like WA but it is a long way to a hotel there.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Fred may need some sleeping 'help' to make the trip!  That bush requires a lot of planning and equipment.

Did Paul leave anything behind?  haha

2 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Fred may need some sleeping 'help' to make the trip!  That bush requires a lot of planning and equipment.

Did Paul leave anything behind?  haha

Paul left enough gear behind to run a tour 🙄, I need to build a bigger shed to put my stuff in.