Advice On Hunting An Old Property

10 hours ago, RobNC said:

Not all sites are productive.

That's a mantra, particularly if you're looking for old coins.  Relics, on the other hand, everybody dropped (or more likely threw out) those.

Coincidentally I was hunting my favorite old school yesterday when a young woman approached and asked if I was the one who posted on Facebook about wanting to detect old properties.  I told her "no" and she started to walk away.  When I inquired further she said she lived on an old homestead which had old foundations for which she was curious!  I told her I liked to hunt those sites and she gave me her address and phone#.  Funny how when we go from young men to old men our appreciation for the value of young ladies' phone numbers change....  😛

Just another example of why I don't shy away from hunting public sites when people are present.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

You may also want to pay attention to where old sidewalks used to be, as I have found a lot of things near them between the bricks.

• 10 months later...
On 11/16/2019 at 10:24 PM, RobNC said:

it finally happened- Someone granted me permission to hunt a piece of property that dates back 1840's as build date.

My 2 detectors are the XP ORX and Teknetics T2SE with a small Cors Shrew coil.  I imagine this place will be littered with iron objects as it was used as a farm site after 1870-ish. All the original buildings are intact, except a chicken coop or two. The place is mostly untouched and this coming spring there will be restoration performed on the main house and other buildings. Real slim window here and wouldn't you know in the coldest months here. 

So what I'm asking from the experienced people here, and especially those with Tekentics T2 experience or XP ORX experience what things would you suggest when tackling an older place like this?

Hi ,

I agree with Chase, the Orx is perfect on iron trashed areas. Concerning the settings I use COIN FAST mode ,  14khz on low to medium iron trashed areas , 30khz on high iron trashed areas.    I rarely use 50khz because of the important depth loss. For info I have a white 9i HF coil

I know a little the T2, it is a very good machine , I used the FA mode when I had mine , very efficient on iron trashed areas .. but monotone .. 

Happy hunting ...

BTW I have just seen that this is an old thread dating from 2019 .. So I am a little late on this ... 🙂

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...

When the issue concerns the house, in such cases it must be resolved quickly and immediately. I just remember how my aunt bought a house on credit, and then the crisis of 2008 broke out and I had to give the house to a bank. Very sad.