Don't Give Up On Those Good Signals

Well, I can say, I almost gave up on this 14k gold earring and sterling piece.  The detector (Equinox 800, park 2) kept telling me it was there but my pinpointer was not so sure until it actually touch it.  The color of the ground and the fact I didn't have my glasses on proved to be a difficult task in locating these two precious items.  Just remember if the detectors says there is something there don't give up until you know what it is.  The second photo was a blast in recovering all those sterling pieces.  And then the old button, very ornate.

2019111795101840.jpg

2019111795101854.jpg

• Like 9

WOW, Mark!  Great job recovering all those REALLY small targets!  It's pretty cool when the machine insists there's something there, and yet even your pinpointer can't find it...

Nice job!

Steve

• Like 1

Mark,

Really good job on finding those small items without your glasses. I wear glasses only to see, and I have to use them when I am out detecting.

I don't wear them when I drive just to see if the other drivers are paying attention to other people.

When I want to see what I am doing I have to wear them!

Well done, Mark!

Finding those tiny pieces of jewelry (like the silver piece above left from Jefferson's head) are a lot like finding tiny gold nuggets.  On occasion I've had to use the divide-and-conquer recovery method that native gold hunters practice.  But I carry two scoops and a gold pan when I coin hunt (and probably look like a pack mule 🙄).  I also have been carrying both the Garrett Carrot and White's TRX pinpointers.  I start out checking with the Carrot and then switch to the TRX when I get a signal.  For coins the TRX is great at giving me a more accurate bearing and a better distance indication which helps prevent damaging the coins while digging.  For small, irregular shaped objects out of the hole the side sensitivity of the Carrot often makes locating them quicker than with the TRX.

Agree that for the tiniest bits, sometimes the pinpointers just aren't sensitive enough -- that's when I resort to divide-and-conquer.

• Like 2