XP Orx X35 Coil Vs HF Coil

Steve Herschbach

Has anybody used both or have any opinions on which coil offers the most useful overall frequency range? With the X35 you have 4, 8, 12, 16, and 26 kHz and with the round HF coil you have 15, 30, and 55 kHz.

It seems to me the X35 26 kHz is sufficient for most nugget detecting while offering frequencies as low as 4 kHz. I guess another way of asking would be has anyone really found the 55 kHz or 74 kHz settings to be that much better than the 30 kHz setting on the HF coils?

I’m just speculating that for the die hard nugget hunter the HF coils make sense but with the ORX X35 wired headphone combo available for as low as $649 it might actually be the better option for the multi-use detectorist.

XP ORX with 9" round HF coil or 9" round X35 coil options
xp-orx-9-inch-hf-coil-vs-9-inch-x35-coil.jpg

• Like 1

For relic hunting I have seen some limited advantage to using the 55 khz/74 khz (9.5 inch elliptical HF coil) under certain conditions of extreme mineralization and iron.  For me the 9" HF coil stays on my Deus 90% of the time.  But for maximum flexibility for most types of detecting be it beach hunting, park hunting/coin shooting, relic hunting, or nugget hunting, the X35 excels.  If I could have only two coils, it would be the 9" HF and the 11" X35.  If I could have only 3 - I would add the 9.5x5" elliptical HF.  If I could have only one "all around" coil, it would be the 9" X35.

• Like 4

My ORX came with the 9” X35. I already had on hand both HF Coils. So my three choices would be the above, 9” X35, and both HF Coils.

Hi,

great question Steve which I have been wondering about. I have the Orx bundle you mentioned with the 9" X35 coil and the wired back phones. (I paid less than $600 brand new for this Orx from BBHs) I knew someone who was parting out an Orx and picked up the wireless back phones and a 9" HF coil together for less than $200. I also have a 5.21 Deus Lite WS4 module (thanks Chase Goldman for updating it for me!!!)

So, I know the ORX or Deus Lite in the Gold modes can hit a .5 gram or bigger nugget within 4" of the surface no matter how badly I set them up! Instead, I did an outdoor air test with smaller gold.  I used a 1 grain and a 4 grain nugget. I set up the Orx in Fine Gold with both the 9" X35 and 9" HF coils with as close to the same settings as I could do: sensitivity 90, frequency X35 27.6 kHz and HF 28 kHz, reactivity 2, disc IAR 2, iron vol. On, threshold 8.

The results were the same within a 1/16" . Both detected the 1 grain nugget out to 2" with repeatable tone and detected the 4 grain out to 4". Just for fun, I set up the Deus Lite in Goldfield with the same coils, frequencies and settings except for iron volume and threshold. 1 grain= 1.5"  4 grain= 3.5"

Then I used the HF 9" coil with the Orx set at 54 kHz with otherwise the same settings. 1 grain = 2.5"  4 grain = 4.5"

Jeff

• Like 4

Steve,

I too would like to hear more opinions between the X35 and HF coils. It seems the round 9" HF coil is more popular than the other coil options. I want to purchase a XP Deus or XP Orx, but struggling with the pros and cons between the two and the coil options they have to offer. I don't want to regret buying a Orx instead of the Deus, but also I don't want to buy a Deus and end up not needing the different features and options it has to offer when the Orx features and options would be just fine for my type of hunting. I see more value with Orx than Deus at their respective price points, but something keeps telling the Deus is the way to go. Decisions, decisions!

Glenn

I’ve had the Deus and I now have the ORX with both HF coils.

The Deus has lots bells and whistles but you want to spend time hunting are learning to work the Deus? I find the ORX a almost turn on and go detector. But yet have some of the great qualities of the Deus.

I don’t own the X 35 coil but without having it the 9” HF is my go to coil.

I was out Saturday using my Sport with the 9.5 concentrate coil but was doing better with my ORX 9” . Too with age trying to get the best of me the ORX is a all day swinger.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Glenn,

I struggle with your questions even after owning both!  I like the simplicity of the ORX. I like the adjustability of the Deus or even the Deus Lite. All three will hit very small gold easily with a little tweaking of the reactivity (recovery speed) settings and the transmit/receive frequency. If you decide to buy a used Deus make sure it has at least version 4.1 software or the latest 5.21. Goldfield has better prospecting settings and you can use the HF and X35 coils.

Coil wise, in my moderate to highly mineralized dirt, I prefer to run ANY detector I have at around 17 kHz  for coin and jewelry hunting and around 30 kHz or more for gold prospecting. Our smaller Colorado gold nuggets and specie need those higher frequencies in my opinion. No matter what I'm hunting for with the ORX or Deus, great depth is not the goal due to the soil conditions. Just an observation, to me the 9" round X35 coil is chattier in EMI than the 9" round HF coil on the same detector set at around 17 kHz or 28 to 30 kHz.

Depth on small targets is about the same with either coil. I have used the HF elliptical and the HF 9" round is definitely deeper by an inch or so. Target separation with either HF coil or the 9" X35 is great.  The HF elliptical makes the ORX/Deus very unstable when you try to put the detector down on a hillside. Some kind of stand, even a .99 cent plastic clamp from the Dollar Store makes it a lot more stable. 

Like Chase mentioned before, the best combo for me would be the 11" X35 for general detecting and maybe getting that extra inch or two on bigger deeper gold when prospecting and the HF 9" coil for general prospecting. I have not seen any great benefit in having that extra higher 25 kHz that the HF elliptical offers.  Bottom line, if I only could have one coil it would definitely be the HF 9" coil with the 9" X35 a fairly close alternate choice.

As far as the Deus VS the ORX, if you will be mainly using an XP detector for prospecting, I would go with the ORX. Its prospecting feature set is just better, period. I'm not referring to depth of detection or sensitivity. Those two factors are similar. The big display, iron probability bar and iron volume coupled with IAR are superior to the Deus.  It's just a no brainer. A new ORX with remote control and wired back phones or wireless back phones (my preference) is around half of what a new Deus with remote control and wireless back phones costs, and for prospecting you are not getting half as good a detector if you buy the ORX. It really is a better prospecting detector. If you want to be able to use an XP product for say 90% coin, jewelry and relic and 10% or less for prospecting I would get a Deus. The Deus Lite (just the wireless back phones using V5.21 software and no remote control) is definitely a viable option too for a compromise but make sure it comes with the audio adapter (see below).

For me, very subjectively, the nature of the audio for general coin and jewelry hunting is offensive on both the Deus and more even on the ORX. I am still getting used to it (spoiled by Whites and Minelab audio forever....) For prospecting, the VCO audio doesn't bother me one bit, since I'm used to and want VCO audio for prospecting. What does bother me too are the really uncomfortable wireless back phones on my big head. They also are a joke if it is windy or there is traffic noise since they offer little or no noise reduction. For a hot day with no wind in the mountains or the desert they are fine for awhile. For really small or deep, just barely break the threshold targets, forget it. What is better is to take the module off of the back phones, buy the $20 audio plug adapter and plug in some great wired headphones like Sunray Golds or any other quality noise cancelling headphones or in the ear buds. That way you are not tethered to the ORX or Deus. Just put the module in your pocket (don't need line of sight) and go hunt.

Another option is to just get the ORX with the wired headphones and plug them into the remote control or use your own wireless transmitter plugged into the remote control like those from Garrett or Quest/Deteknix. There is no volume control on the ORX remote control.  Deus Lite module has volume control. The Deus/ORX wired headphones have an inline controller. The ORX wireless back phones also have built in volume control.

Jeff

DSCN9757.jpg

DSCN9758.jpg

DSCN9759.jpg

DSCN9760.jpg

DSCN9761.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to XP Orx X35 Coil Vs HF Coil