Question For Mike Hillis - How Do You Like Your Gold Kruzer?

I am considering a Gold Kruzer for jewelry hunting. Mike, I know you were on the search for the ultimate "micro machine". How do you like your Gold Kruzer now that you got all of the issues worked out? Is it hitting the stud earrings and chains? Input from other would be appreciated as well.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I would like to know that too. I have a Gold Kruzer on the way with 3 coil. The extra coil is the 9.5x5 dd  coil. Will be hunting freshwater lakes and micro jewelry in other areas. 

I had one before. Don't know why I got rid of it. I like the Micro mode best as it was deepest. Noisy but no problem  hearing targets. It's a nice detector.

• Like 1

Sorry guys....Been meaning to write about it but its been busy here

I personally think its a keeper and a great companion to my primary jewelry units.   

You need to understand....61kHz is NOT hot on nickels.   61 kHz is hot on low conductors below the nickel range.  If you have that clear in your mind and use it accordingly I think you will like it as much as I do.  If your expectations are based around it being a nickel killer, then you will be disappointed.

I'll have to come back later and add more....

Mike

• Like 5

Continuing....Note I am almost always in the Micro operating mode.

Regards Micro Jewelry:   

Per Tom Dankowski, I found a little 10K White Gold 3MM 4-prong stud earring to use as a test target.  Note that 3MM is probably smaller than he would recommend as 3MM isn't a big enough stone to make micro jewelry hunting worthwhile, but..if you can you can pick up  this particular target you can pick up anything as at this point that alloy and size is more like a mineral target than a metal target.

The Gold Kruzer with the little 4x7 coil will pick up my test target at about 3/8" to 1/2" deep in Micro mode.    Note that you CAN NOT test small gold with your hand.  You have to put it on a wooden stick or something.  The Gold Kruzer will respond to your fingers and give a false reading.  The 10" concentric and the 10" DD will not respond to this target.  So if you are really into true "Micro gold Jewelry" hunting the Gold Kruzer will limit you to the 4x7" concentric coil.  Well....you can focus on small yellow gold and do ok with the larger coils but the micro white gold will be out of reach.

I typically use the GK61 (my reference) as a clean up detector.   For example if I have a good hot spot that I have been pulling good gold jewelry out of, then once I get the trash level down I'll come in and progressively hunt it down with the GK61.  First either the 10" concentric or the 10" DD, and if I think it has promise for more, then I'll come in with the 4x7.   

I use the tone break to focus.

The best number for me is 41.    41 has been good targets...open rings, lobster clasps....stuff like that.   43 through 46/47 has been thin/paper foil.   Above 47 has been more dense targets..    I normally set my disc to around 30 and my tone break at 44 and hunt the low tone.   A good VCO will get my attention now and again but mostly I've been focused on stuff that hits near the 41 TID.   Reference...Nickels are around 62/63.   

This detector begs for a Notch upgrade.    DIsc goes all the way to 99 so some sort of Notch feature needs to be developed and deployed for those of us who don't care to hunt high conductors.  Say...when you put the Disc on 99, cancel out everything above 65 or something.   Or give  me some way to cancel out those 44, 45, 46, TID numbers.  

Anyway...that is the way I hunt it.  Hope it helps

HH

Mike

• Like 3

Very much appreciated Mike. You have some great tips in there. Look forward to seeing your finds.

Thanks Mike. Great info. I might have to try gold hunting on land.

Wouldn't the Multi Kruzer at 19khz be better for small jewelry and coin shooting? I had my eye on one for a while and like the handle, big display and frequency choices as well as coil choices on it. Looks like a good performer.