Why The Simplex Is More Compelling To Me Than Vanquish - Performance Diversity

I am not really looking for a new detector to add to my arsenal.  I think my Deus, Equinox, and GPX cover the bases pretty well.  I keep an MXT and F75 DST around mainly for nostalgic reasons (like a guitarist collects guitars) and because they were classic designs in their day with solid performance, features, design, and ergonomics bar none in the case of the F75.  I laso keep my Tek Delta around because it was the detector with which I really learned how to detect and helped me form a passion for the hobby.  Plus they all support concentric coils which are advantageous under certain conditions.

So why was I still drawn to the two new low cost offerings by Makro and Minelab? There is always something refreshing about a stripped down, back to basics detector design that incorporates the latest tech and capabilities (e.g., Multi IQ for Vanquish, straight forward single frequency detecting with decent all metal capability, and a waterproof package for the Simplex).

Why get another detector, when my main arsenal seemingly consists of detectors that should easily outperform either Vanquish or Simplex?

The answer is simple, performance diversity.  Hitting a site with a different detectors of diverse capabilities, features, performance usually pays of if you have the luxury of time and access.  Last week, at several different types of CW relic sites in Virginia I was able to use the diverse capabilities of the three detectors I mentioned in the second sentence of my post and each delivered with keeper finds under the conditions to which they typically excel.  The GPX penetrated deep into highly mineralized soils of those Virginia fields to snag a number of deep non-ferrous brass and lead targets including my first US Cavalry bit boss - a "bucket lister" for me.  The Equinox with its Multi IQ capabilities and diverse modes (including gold mode) was able to ID and lock onto shallower no-ferrous targets in the mineralized muck of multiple non-ferrous and ferrous targets which enabled me to ultimately pull several non-ferrous keepers out of a single hole.  And the Deus gave my tired arm a break while deftly navigating between huge chunks of big iron in pitch mode that enabled me to literally visualize the large target footprint of these big iron targets and as a result snagged some actual ferrous CW relics including stove leg and some antique door hinges and other unique ferrous keepers.

So what does this have to do with Vanquish and Simplex?

The Vanquish is a very capable entry level detector with some high-end features (Multi IQ) and a cool coil selection and neat stem design but, not surprisingly, very limited setting customization options and missing features that appropriately put in a couple of notches below the even the Equinox 600.  Some of the missing features are quite frankly head scratching as far as I am concerned (e.g., not fully waterproof housing, lack of user firmware update capability, no single frequency mode option, and while the coil selection is compelling, those coils are not also compatible with Equinox - a missed opportunity IMO - confirmed with me in person by Debbie S of Minelab at last week's dig).  Sometimes manufacturers tease higher end features into their new lower-end offerings that are otherwise not available in their mid or high level offerings.  Other than the decent coil selection, there is no such situation here.  The Equinox envelopes the Vanquish completely.  Bottom line, the Vanquish is solid and provides "multifrequency for the masses" but brings nothing to the table for Equinox users.  That is not slam, it is a fact and frankly is not unexpected.  If the coils were cross compatible with Equinox, I might seriously consider picking up a Vanquish solely for the opportunity to use the coils on Equinox while getting a fairly decent emergency backup or grab n go machine in the process.  But with the coils solely married to the less capable Vanquish and without the capability to wring the most out of them, it is a pass for me.

The Simplex on the other hand is limited to single frequency and the emphasis is on solid basic performance and ease of use.  Yet Nokta has packed it with some high end features such as fully waterproof, wireless ready (and cheaper than the wireless variant of the Vanquish), firmware updates (updates and bug fixes have already been released), and the promise of some decent accessory coils consistent with the Nokta track record on their other recent detector designs.  So there are slight feature advantages that in the Simplex design that provide something a little more compelling in the "basics" than Vanquish, though Vanquish does have Multi IQ going for it.  

Since I do not own a Nokta or Makro detector, the Simplex provides the performance diversity that the Vanquish does not, IN MY CASE.  This would not necessarily be true of those who might own a Kruzer, Anfibio or Impact.  For those folks, the Simplex probably looks to them the same way the Vanquish looks to me or the typical Equinox owner.  At this price point, the performance diversity is worth it.  I get Nokta's signal processing which is lacking in my arsenal, a decent VCO all metal mode (which I prefer over the processed discrete tones of the Equinox in the non-gold modes) and the prospect of decent accessory coil choices with user upgrade-able firmware in a waterproof package.  It is still entry level and fairly basic, but compelling to me from a performance diversity standpoint, nevertheless.

Remember, this is only my opinion and is applicable to my particular situation based on the detectors I already own and the type of detecting I like to do (primarily CW and Colonial relic hunting).  It should not be misconstrued as Simplex is better than Vanquish or that these detectors can outperform their more expensive and capable cousins.  

So do you find either the Simplex and/or Vanquish compelling even if you do own higher end detectors already?  Discuss your thoughts below.

nokta-makro-simplex-underwater-wireless-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 8

I have mild curiosity, same as whenever a new detector is released. Entry level detectors have really improved since I first started with an Ace 250 in 2011.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

(Simplex provides) Nokta's signal processing which is lacking in my arsenal, a decent VCO all metal mode (which I prefer over the processed discrete tones of the Equinox in the non-gold modes) and the prospect of decent accessory coil choices with user upgrade-able firmware in a waterproof package.

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

The Vanquish with the v8 coil (Pro Pack) may end up being the cheapest small gold detector on the market with multi-IQ and all metal mode....

I think we're again at the mercy (nice way of putting it?) of different manufacturers' usage of the term 'all metal'.  Minelab has chosen to mean discriminate mode (and its associated filtering) with all segments open (i.e. no discrimination threshold and no notching).  Simplex goes with the industry standard (first one's to the plate) meaning, what Dave Johnson expands here:  (http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/goldprospectingmetaldetectiontechnologies.htm

Most VLF prospecting is done in an all-metals mode which may be variously described as "single-filter", "first derivative", "autotune", or by trademarked names.

• Like 4

No more VLF for me unless it’s a clearly superior replacement for my Equinox. I’ve been thinking about the ORX and Simplex but just keep telling myself no, I have the Equinox, I don't actually need them. The old battle of separating needs from wants! :smile: It’s the way they are packaged as much as what they can do that makes me want them but they will not do anything I can't already do with my Equinox. I suspect my next detector will be the Fisher Impulse AQ, assuming that they ever actually release it. I'm lacking a waterproof beach PI so that I actually have a need for.

• Like 4

Well Steve, the Orx is an amazing detector. Orx w/ 9" coil is better in iron than the Equinox w/ 11" coil. I would say equal with Equinox using 6" coil.

Will not be get rid of either. I also have the waterproof kit for the Orx too. The Orx doesn't false like the Equinox in iron.

To bad the coils cost so much for the Orx.

Looking forward to seeing the Fisher AQ too.

• Like 3

Since I only have 2 detectors my 800 and a old Bounty Hunter, I can only say I wish I had known about this forum before I got my 800.

Not that I don't like the 800 of which I do, but to have helped me learn more on what to have purchased in the first place.

I have learned so much here and every time I am out I learn even more.

Once I learn how to use this properly and know what I am hearing I will be looking for an other unit.

I try to learn something everything and the hardest thing for me is that I constantly have ringing in the ears which throws me off a lot.

Thank you Steve for all your insight on all detector units that you talk about. I also thank everyone else for their knowledge on this subject also as I am a beginner at this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

there is really no need to get another unit

Simon.

Thanks for the advice, and I only have the stock coil that came with it. I might get another coil in the spring and work with it.

I am still trying to figure out if something is wrong with my unit as it has done several things that is unusual.

Like I have said I am learning from all of you here on this forum and I try to put that knowledge to use. I do get confused sometimes wit all that I need to do , but that is expected with only 3-4 months of use.

Thanks for the advice and I will keep it in mind.

• Like 2

I'm with Steve on this--I can't make a case for yet another repackaging of VLF regardless of the features/price point.  The technology has been mined to death.  The Fisher Impulse AQ is intriguing (if we ever actually see this machine) but otherwise I will be swinging my Equinox.  Nothing can beat it in the environments I hunt.

• Like 3

2Valen, 

I'm right there with you buddy! I'm still more comfortable with my AT Pro, than my 800! At least for land sites! On the beach, I'm only using the 800 now, but still have much to learn! I just started reading the Andy Sabisch book to get a leg up on the 800! Hopefully that will translate to some new skills! Good luck with yours!

• Like 1