Why The Simplex Is More Compelling To Me Than Vanquish - Performance Diversity

12 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I'm only using the 800 now, but still have much to learn!

Joe D. I am just learning this unit and have a long way to go before I can have enough confidence to say that I know it.

I have found several nice things so far and know that I would have missed them without it.

I will have to get that book and start reading it.

Thanks

• Like 1

Chase started a good topic, but like many forum posts, it seems we can often drift off-topic in different directions.  So, I'll respond to the point about 'Why' a Simplex+, especially if we have an assortment of up-line / higher-cost detectors, which I do.  My decision was rather simple to make, and my Simplex+ has been shipped and I hope delivery will be in time for a detecting jaunt over the holiday weekend that's coming up.  My reasons for a Simplex+ are:

#1.. My experiences with the build quality of the Nokta / Makro products going back to January 8th of 2015.  That's almost 5 years using solidly-built, durable detectors.

#2.. Very impressive in-the-field performance they have provided.

#3.. The company's dedication and devotion to listen to and take action as needed to satisfy the end-user consumer base.

#4.. A market share they had not directly competed with is the "entry-level" or "low-end" market, and they worked the R&D part to produce a very reasonable product in their initially planned Simplex, and then went above-and-beyond to add, change, and enhance this model by time of release.  The end result is a product that is attractive and ergonomically appealing, with an ample number of useful and functional features that even some experienced detectorists don't have on the mid-line to higher-priced model!

#5.. And to top that off, they packaged it in a waterproof, submersible unit for an even broader range of usefulness and consumer appeal.

And it's all packaged at a retail price that makes it a very handy detector to have on-hand for an entry-level user to get started with a more sophisticated model, or an Avid detectorist to carry with them full-time with a little more comfort about the device being in their vehicle.

Additionally, I haven't seen anything else, offered by any competitor, that was in a close retail price range that  came close to offering comparable features.  I also have faith that it won't take Nokta / Makro long to develop two or three accessory coils to enhance the versatility of the Simplex+ ... at reasonable prices, too.

I am not getting the Simplex+ to try and replace anything in my current Detector Outfit, but instead to simply 'complement' my Outfit to add more fun and pleasure on future detecting jaunts.

Monte

• Like 4

Sorry Monte, 

I'm as guilty as anyone for getting off topic! 

I think you gave very valid points on the simplex! I have no regrets for buying the 800, but had the simplex been available, i would have gotten it first! I will be a little more subdued in purchasing another detector for awhile! I also think i still have a ton to learn on the ones i have! But i will definitely keep an eye on Nokta/ Makro in the meantime! 👍

And hopefully they will shorten their name!😂

Chase, you are exactly right about hitting your good spots with different makes and models of detectors.   That is a good advice for anyone as each detector model and make has its own weaknesses and strengths.   Running them over the same ground just allows you to apply their strengths where the other model's weaknesses may have caused a miss.   And they ALL have them.   

I thought about a buy and try on the Simplex just for curiosities sake but the resale detector market is in the dumps and I really don't need another plain jane phase shift target id detector and Waterproof doesn't really mean anything to me.  

I am closely watching the Vanquish however as that one will stand the market on its ear.  Multi-frequency full spectrum detecting starting at $199 is going to take off like hotcakes.   We jaded high end owners may yawn over it, but Minelab is redefining the low end detector market with this one release much like it has redefined the high end market with the Equinox release.   

Since I don't own a Equinox and have no plans to own an Equinox (not that they are not a good detector, they just don't offer ME anything useful), I am willing to put out a much smaller outflow of cash on the Vanquish to experience Multi-IQ for the masses.

HH
Mike

Had the Vanquish and Simplex been released 20 years ago, they would have been considered top of the line detectors. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 5:44 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

No more VLF for me unless it’s a clearly superior replacement for my Equinox. I’ve been thinking about the ORX and Simplex but just keep telling myself no, I have the Equinox, I don't actually need them. The old battle of separating needs from wants! :smile: It’s the way they are packaged as much as what they can do that makes me want them but they will not do anything I can't already do with my Equinox. I suspect my next detector will be the Fisher Impulse AQ, assuming that they ever actually release it. I'm lacking a waterproof beach PI so that I actually have a need for.

I'm pretty much in the same boat.  Between the Multi Kruzer and Equinox 800, there's nothing I really cannot hunt from salt water beaches to relic hunting, I'm covered.  That's not to say that it's not interesting and fun to watch Minelab and Nokta continue to innovate and produce superior products in the industry, but like Steve I'm waiting for something a bit more advanced that will exceed the capabilities of what I already use, not simply augment my arsenal.  I still have a Racer 2, F75 LTD2 and a EuroTek Pro if I need back up detectors or loaners 🙂

On 11/17/2019 at 9:35 PM, phrunt said:

Some of us buy lots of detectors as we like the technology and playing with it, it's a big waste of money 🙂 , I'm very guilty of that...

I used to do this, but I've slowed down now that for me I've found the apex of machines for my detecting needs.

When I was hard core into computers for gaming years ago, I used to dump tons of money into my computers to get the latest and greatest, fastest hard drives, best high performance video cards, sound cards, CPU, memory, on and on.   I put the kabosh on that when the Xbox came out and decided that buying an Xbox was a better investment then sinking untold thousands of dollars into a PC.  Detectors can have the same allure, but to me the Equinox is the Xbox of detectors 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Had the Vanquish and Simplex been released 20 years ago, they would have been considered top of the line detectors. 

More like 5 years ago I'd say! Simplex especially. But just imagine if Vanquish had come first instead of Equinox. And Vanquish does have near Equinox capability, just in a simpler package. They are not watered down Multi-IQ as some people online keep trying to imply, they are Multi-IQ in all it's glory, just with less adjustments. The recovery speed still outshines E-Trac and CTX and they would have made a big splash five years ago. Now they tend to get compared unfavorably to Equinox, but on their own they would have really turned heads.

If Minelab could do it over Vanquish first would have hooked a lot of people, who would then upgrade to a Equinox produced later. But I can understand them wanting to go after the AT series first instead of Ace as that is the sweet spot.

What does it say about Garrett that Minelab tends to focus solely on them while ignoring everyone else? Equinox is aimed right at the AT series and Vanquish right at the Ace series. Anything else is just side effect. Nokta/Makro was at first primarily targeting First Texas and with their waterproof models now also going after Garrett.  I guess Garrett should be flattered with all the attention! :smile:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

they are Multi-IQ in all it's glory, just with less adjustments

Well, not exactly in all it’s glory, if Vanquish is limited to a single one-size-fits-all weighted Multi IQ profile and processing (a realization that was just pointed out me), it’s like having an Equinox locked in Park 1 mode plus less adjustments [not necessarily a bad thing, that would still be a killer detector]  Though from that perspective, since Equinox only has at most 6 Multi IQ profiles, the Equinox is also not Multi IQ in all its glory either.  :laugh:

I don’t even know what I’m talking about any more.  ML has me so twisted around with their imprecise, pseudo engineering  marketing double speak, I feel like one of those computers in the Original Star Trek that Captain Kirk is always making blow up as he uses human “illogic” to drive them into an infinite do loop.  

Anyway, back to testing my Simplex.  Ahh the simple, refreshing serenity of a straight forward, stripped down,  back to basics but capable single frequency detector.  Without a bunch of relics magically popping out of the ground and without my detector stuck in a rock in the middle of some non-descript field waiting for the chosen Arthurian detectorist to release it for the benefit of all detecting mankind.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 6:23 PM, Chase Goldman said:

Anyway, back to testing my Simplex.  Ahh the simple, refreshing serenity of a straight forward, stripped down,  back to basics but capable single frequency detector.  Without a bunch of relics magically popping out of the ground and without my detector stuck in a rock in the middle of some non-descript field waiting for the chosen Arthurian detectorist to release it for the benefit of all detecting mankind.

🤣