Remnants Of A Large Cent

Found this in what was a farm then turned into an estate then taken over by Nuns then turned into a city park. Coin is older than the town and older than the estate that was there. Good sign for older stuff but as you can see the farm land really beats these old coins up so back to the maps, wait for warmer weather and start hitting the wooded areas around some more. Looks like 1790's and only give away it was a large cent is the diameter. Might be a draped or flowing hair, hard to tell.

lrgcent.jpg

• Like 4

Great find there, how bad was the backside of it.

Back is bad too if not worse. Front has a hint of a profile and only way I know it's a lrg cent is the size and material. Usually pure copper holds up bit better, wondering if this planchard was an alloy or just not pure copper? At least I know there is some much older stuff in the region so it gives me more enthusiasm to stomp over fallen trees and stumble through vines in the woods near by where I found the eagle cents and 2 cents. There is another forest to check out on the opposite side of the lake but I think it's hunting season still and even decked out in orange I don't trust the locals 🙂

• Haha 1

Kac, 

I'm going hunting, and detecting in Georgia next month, and was thinking about that myself! I always have all my orange on, even while I'm hunting on family property! You never know what can happen with "buck fever", and trespassers!!  Everything that moves in the woods is a potential target for some! The "shoot first, find the orange detectorist later is a real worry!!🤯🦌

• Like 1

You could always run your AT Pro without the headphones and scare any remnants of wildlife off. Should reduce the number of hunters out there :)

For myself I'm thinking of leaving the bullwinkle hat at home.

• Haha 1

Here's one of my finds with the ATPro from last years outing after cleaning! And my first gold find with the 800 before cleaning!👍

20171115_111527.jpg

20190920_094706.jpg

• Like 3

Nice finds. I still use my ATP mostly in freshwater ponds. Thinking of snagging the larger concentric coil for it so iron is not an issue. Tempted to sell my Nel Big for it as I don't use it that much since it is difficult to gb in many of the areas I hunt. Surprisingly  the large coil actually works well at the beach, hits a nickel at 8" in the wet. I just use my seahunter there now.

• Like 1