cjc

Book Excerpt: Modulation

Could you explain exactly how to "use Pinpoint to check for solidity"? From the above excerpt? Thanks

13 hours ago, FloridaSon said:

Could you explain exactly how to "use Pinpoint to check for solidity"? From the above excerpt? Thanks

How many times have you swung the Equinox over a sweet sounding quarter coin tone only to discover it was an aluminum can?  There are some tonal nuances a trained ear can tell the difference side-by-side in the ground, but it is even hard for a trained ear to tell the difference on widely scattered targets in a field or on the beach.  And you certainly can’t get a good handle on the target footprint with the processed search mode tones.  

Pinpoint mode to the rescue.

Since pinpoint is a non-motion mode (vs. normal detect mode which requires you to keep the coil in motion over the target to register a target tone), you can use it to quickly ascertain the relative size of shallower high visual or tone ID targets to give you an idea whether you are swinging over a coin sized object or potential junk with a much larger footprint such as a beer can or large falsing iron target (e,g., horseshoe.).  This is accomplished by tracing over the target with pinpoint engaged.  The larger objects will invoke the high pinpoint tone over a much larger footprint area than a smaller coin, ring, or button-sized target as the pinpoint tone rapidly drops off as the coil center crosses off the edge of the target footprint.  This method becomes less effective for significantly deeper junk targets as the relative pinpoint signal strength "footprint" shrinks even with larger targets as their depth increases (you can simulate this by lifting the coil off the ground while tracing something like a beer can).

You will probably dig the target anyway just to be sure, but at least this way your expectations are properly set such that you will be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be a keeper rather than the other way around.

I personally use pinpoint more for target tracing, when I am in doubt about the true nature of a good sounding target, rather than going to pinpoint mode for pinpointing, because I can pinpoint pretty effectively by wiggling off high probability coin-sized targets.

• Like 4

Chase,

I am also new enough with the 800 to always second guess my target identity! But that is how i dug a 1911 gold pocket watch a few months ago! I really don't mind digging most everything! I feel it's the only way to learn a detectors language! Even then, i refuse to miss anything! Except maybe those damn zincons!!

Thanks for the lessons, there much appreciated!👍

20190920_094706.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/19/2019 at 7:58 PM, FloridaSon said:

Move the coil to one side of the target, trigger--and sweep evenly across.  Try and do this the same every time so that the ratchet does not interfere  with getting a consistent pinpoint.  The signal strength and tone will tell you how solid the target is.  If you want to repeat--begin again to prevent a detuned (getting quieter with each pass) response from throwing you off.

There's more on this in the book.

cjc

• Like 1

cjc and Chase;

This technique worked great on a 3 ft piece of rebar buried one foot deep at surfs edge on a saltwater beach! I dug one end to try and ID it but the length was clearly determined with the above textbook excerpt and both your explanations. 

Thanksgentleman!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dan(NM)
      Since I'm down and out with a broken ankle for a few weeks and have plenty of time on my hands. I decided to do a EX2 chest mount mod that I saw on You-Tube by IDX Monster, thank you sir for paving the way!! I have a bum shoulder that needs to be rebuilt next year, I needed to adapt my machine to extend my hunting time until then. I used a Teknetics S-rod for the stock 11" coil and a White's MX5 S-rod for the 8" coil.
      I'll be using a Go-Pro chesty to mount the control head and I bought a 3' extension cable to connect the control to the coil. I cut the battery housing from the handle, but, I have a more compact and lighter battery pack on the way. I ordered a 1/4" stereo headphone jack from Amazon and will run my phone cord under my shirt to keep it from getting in the way.
      This set-up is as light as feather to swing and I can't wait to heal up and take it on it's maiden voyage.

• By Rick Kempf
      The GPZ clearly represents something truly new in terms of gold detectors. 
      It has already had a very strong effect on the pricing of Minelabs GPX series.
       What do you suppose would be the likely effect of some new technology detector which could discriminate as well as a current VLF machines and  handle ground mineralization, hot rocks, etc. as well as the best of the PI machines and the GPZ? - Oh yes, and if it sold for a "street price" of $1500?
      would my "dream machine" eliminate PI's and the GPZ for nugget hunting - almost certianly not.  Would it do stuff that none of today's detectors can do - perhaps.
      result - chaos.
      what is the likelihood of this happening?
      From ML - zero, for obvious reasons
      From some European innovator - unlikely due to lack of local demand for gold detectors.
      From Whites - unlikely due to current confusion and problems bringing more conventional new machines sucessfully to market.
      From Garrett - doubtful due to lack of any real recent technical innovation.
      Gosh - who is left? - Well, as Marty Robbins once wrote....
      " out near the West Texas town of El Paso… "
      P.S. My own speculations only - as Click and Clack use to say "Unencumbered by the thought process".

• By Rege-PA
      Due to many injuries, operations, fusions etc, I went to a pain clinic to check out my options as the pills are helping less and less.
      They suggested a Spinal cord implant that sends electro magnetic signals to confuse the pain that is occurring. Device can be adjusted as to strength and duration of the impulses. My question to the Dr was would it interfere with a metal detector? He said he didn`t know but would try to find out from the manufacturer. If it does it is not an option for me as I love detecting and will carry on as I do now.
      Anyone out there who has experience with these things?
      Thanks,
      Rege
    • By Roughwater
      I really wanted to Make a detector test Garden in my yard.  My first goal was to remove anything that would make a detector beep in a small area of my yard.  I had just bought a Apex pick with the 3 magnets so I though that would be perfect for clearing the yard.  However I dug only 2 shallow holes and found my yard is full of small iron rocks/pebbles as I pulled half a pocket full of pebbles from those 2 shallow holes.   So thinking now I will have to do something different.  Maybe buy some bags of dirt at the local Walmart

Apex pick iron 2.html

• By Blackcoffee
      I've seen metal detectors in stores and shows for thirty years, but am only now thinking about them like I'll own one within a few weeks.
      Maybe this is too sci-fi of an idea, but given the popularity of the wireless XP Deus (the name! god and an outdated operating system), and the ubiquity of smart phones, when will we see a mfr put the computing power of a smart phone to work?
      Put a digitizer in the coil, broadcast the signal to the phone, where the processing happens, perhaps with highly customizable features (user programmable?), then bluetooth to send the audio to headphones... Graphics happen on the phone from its secure position on the handle...
      Too crazy? Too simplistic?
    • By jjm861
      Ok....it is almost June 2016.  It seems so far this year we have seen some entry level detectors and an attempt at rehashing previously released detectors.  Just trying to be real here, but we have not seen anything really innovative since the Minelab 7000....and that was nearly a year and a half ago.  Now I know, VLF technology has probable reached its limits, and even PI's are nothing new.  However, I would have at least thought that one of the major manufactures would have thrown us a bone or two.  WHERE ARE ALL THE NEW DETECTORS ??