Did Minelab Handicap The Equinox?

JohnnyRox

14 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

That makes sense to a certain extent.  However, in my experience (after finding the sweetspot of response) no matter how repeatable I make my coil motion, most of the time (and always with weaker response ==> small, not near surface targets) the TID varies at least one or two values (often many more even for desirable targets), which in 50 tone does deliver variation in pitch.  I guess it's difficult to ask for a yes/no, either/or answer when you are painting a multidimensional mental picture.  But let me give an example from my 5-tone settings:

My highest bin is 24 and above.  If you get all your tones (when operating in 50-tones) in this region but with TID's varying lets say 25-->35 does that make your decision to dig different than if it's a consistent 30-31?

High tones not so much, mid-tones, yes.  In your specific example, though, the tonal variation you showed might be telling me there are multiple targets and the ability to lock onto a slightly lower pitched 25 tone and a separate higher pitched 35 might tell me dime/half coin spill.  If I can't audibly lock into either and it sounds really "flutey" but with the same variation in range > probable crown cap, though I would expect the audio to cross the tone bin breakpoint as well if a bottlecap and a little iron grunt off the edge if corroded.  The 30-31 is just a no brainer dig me. You don't need 50 tones to tell you that.

It just becomes really obvious in 50 tones vs. 5 tones.  It works really well in the mid to low teens and ferrous range.  Just is what I am used to.  You can really hear the "rate of variation" better in 50 tones than 5 tones (+ display) and that rate of audio ID variation is an important clue as to whether you are talking probable junk or keepers or multiple targets in the hole.  Kind of like a digital display where you just get numbers flashing vs. an analog meter where you can see a smooth transition or the needle jumping all over the place.  Hard to describe.

If I want a nice relaxing walk in the park or on the beach under non-challenging junk conditions and spread targets (i.e., low probability of masking) and am just digging clad or coin shooting or the occasional fat ring, 2, 3 or 5 tones is the way to go.  But if I am trying to dig colonial buttons out of a bed of nails or have a severe crowncap situation - 50 tones.

• Like 1

I think what most of us are saying....... that target range from say 1 to 28 could be expanded there to improve target ID... even at the expense of reducing iron and those upper digits.  Maybe thats not how that works.   But.....a good example to me was the difference in how the Sov and Explorer differed in separation in the lower digits.

I think the greatest handy cap for the Nox is coils.   Each of these modes could benefit from unique coils...... or at least a few.

• Like 1