New Doc Pick Ns22

DigsAlot

5 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Davsgold's picks are absolute top notch. I have been through two Walco picks & a CC pick, both also from Aussie, But Dave's pick leaves them for dead. I must have had his pick for two years now & I use it a lot, smashing into schist bedrock, sometimes unbelievably deep peeling out the schist to unearth those little gold beauties. I haven't even put a dent in it yet.

JW 🤠   

The Walco if I remember were made in Maryborough Vic in the early 1980s and were great I saw  "Mallee Boy" pick when he made it for himself and show me it to me in Leonora WA  in the late 2000s. Mike was a real man of the land and made it from spare parts off his property. The picks of 1979 - 83 were hopeless and many of us made own on pick as nothing worthwile was available at that time. The right pick varies from person to person. Mine is made from a truck leaf spring with a small jackhammer tool piece Mig welded to the pick pointy end as I kept wearing out the tip of the pick.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 10:30 PM, geof_junk said:

The Walco if I remember were made in Maryborough Vic in the early 1980s and were great I saw  "Mallee Boy" pick when he made it for himself and show me it to me in Leonora WA  in the late 2000s. Mike was a real man of the land and made it from spare parts off his property. The picks of 1979 - 83 were hopeless and many of us made own on pick as nothing worthwile was available at that time. The right pick varies from person to person. Mine is made from a truck leaf spring with a small jackhammer tool piece Mig welded to the pick pointy end as I kept wearing out the tip of the pick.

Can't remember the original brand of my pick but I've modded it extensively over the years. 

Latest mod is a section of Cat D4 grouser plate steel I cut to a long point and "V" welded for strength with low hydrogen electrodes.

Pretty well indestructible and extremely abrasion and impact resistant. Now all I have to do is "ding" a half reasonable colour with it (to stop it turning into lead) and I'll be happy :)

IMGP1373.JPG

• Like 1

Good to hear from you again Kiwi! Wondered what happened to you. At least we know you haven't yet fallen off one of those cliff faces chasing a colour :)

I well remember three of us digging up a deep 30 oz piece with just the pick head years back - wasn't going to leave that one behind either!

1 hour ago, kiwijw said:

That looks like my towbar, & your grass is just as green as ours....at the moment.😉

Old photo. Not much grass left here in the southeast corner, and even that's all dead - bloody drought!

Mate, keep those gold pics coming - great morale booster atm. 

Cheers!

I have Doc's pick, and I'll give it a good run next season in the goldfields when the icy hand of Old Man Winter has loosened his grip.

Looking forward to the test run as Doc is indeed a clever inventor and designer (had the privilege of touring his new warehouse and design lab), one always thinking of how to benefit the prospector with a top-notch product suited to their needs.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1