Button ID And Age Please

I hit a site today that I had hunted many years ago and asked if it was still ok. I found this button. The color is golden in most areas. on the back of the button there is writing.

It says "M.C. LILLEY & Co. O. COLUMBUS" best I can tell. I'm afraid to clean it too much for fear of damaging it. Found with my Teknetics T2SE and Cors Shrew in a very iron contaminated site. Also found old square nails too. While I will not tell specifically where I found this, the place was a Farm since 1854.

button1.jpg

button2.jpg

button3.jpg

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Glenn in CO said:

Looks like a Great Seal Eagle Button,  around 1900's. With no dimensions I can't tell if it is cuff or coat button.

Nice Find!

It is slightly smaller than a dime.

Thank you for the answers

I cleaned it a bit more then took this picture.

button4.jpg

I have spoke with the family that owns the land, and their grandfather had a brother that was in WW1. I will be giving this find to them. It's their history, not mine.

• Like 8

RobNC: I have spoke with the family that owns the land, and their grandfather had a brother that was in WW1. I will be giving this find to them. It's their history, not mine.

A kind and generous thing to do.

You have several detectors, so do you mind what detector and coil you used that day?  You also said you hunted this location "many years ago" so I'll presume you're using a different detector set-up now.  Have you offered / invited. and of the owners to join you in your adventure?  I ask because you have multiple detectors, as I do, and for decades I have had at least one detector on-hand that I use to either try an invite in order to gain permission, or just to provide that opportunity to folks who have already said 'OK.'

More often than not I will get a lead from a property owner to search a different property, or invitation to work a family member's property.  That's a main reason I added the Fisher F-44 to my Outfit, to use for family and friends, and to provide a detector for a property owner to use and join in the search.

Congrats on having a permission to hunt, and best of success on your next visit.

Monte

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Monte said:

RobNC: I have spoke with the family that owns the land, and their grandfather had a brother that was in WW1. I will be giving this find to them. It's their history, not mine.

A kind and generous thing to do.

You have several detectors, so do you mind what detector and coil you used that day?  You also said you hunted this location "many years ago" so I'll presume you're using a different detector set-up now.  Have you offered / invited. and of the owners to join you in your adventure?  I ask because you have multiple detectors, as I do, and for decades I have had at least one detector on-hand that I use to either try an invite in order to gain permission, or just to provide that opportunity to folks who have already said 'OK.'

More often than not I will get a lead from a property owner to search a different property, or invitation to work a family member's property.  That's a main reason I added the Fisher F-44 to my Outfit, to use for family and friends, and to provide a detector for a property owner to use and join in the search.

Congrats on having a permission to hunt, and best of success on your next visit.

Monte

Yes, I have offered for them to go along but they chose not to. I met the owner of the land near 18  yrs ago where I worked at the time. Over the years even though I left that workplace the permission stuck. I now work with his brother during certain times of the year. So it seems I'm somewhat connected with them.

The last time I hunted the site was probably around 2005-2006. In the past I hit the same area with a Tesoro Bandido II, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett GTAx550(my wife used that one), and a Minelab Explorer XS.  This time my Teknetics T2SE with a Cors Shrew coil and XP ORX.

The last couple sites I've hunted have been tremendously noisy with the T2. I'm beginning to wonder about it really. We have had a lot of rain in a short amount of time, and it appears that MAY be a factor but I am not sure yet. The XP ORX has also been better behaved at both those sites. It's noisy too but seems to deal with it better. Lots of iron objects in the ground, with dark rich dirt that changes over to the type of red dirt with lots of sparkles in it (red clay with gold flakes within). It seems anytime I get around the red clay type mineral rich ground and if it is wet things do not go well with the T2. ORX handles it better but not perfect. So have my eye on the T2 at this point in time and wondering if it may be something a little wrong.