Searching For Only Gold, Is It Possible

ed 1

Hi, a good friend of mine lost his father about 5 years previously and has worn his fathers ring ever since. Four months ago my friend broke a bone in his hand and changed the ring to a finger on the other hand. The ring dropped off his finger as he was cutting the grass, unfortunately the mower was a ride on type and could have dropped off in any one of three small fields. Would I be better off switching to gold mode or leaving the equinox in field 2. In gold mode will it ignore all other metals(would save me a lot of time if it did ). Any ideas to my best approach? Regards Ed 

Hi Phrunt, thanks for your input, will do. Not sure if I trust the depth meter or the pinpoint come to that matter. Think you are spot on about covering the ground and will probably start early next week weather permitting, cheers Ed

Too bad you don't have access to a 15" coil.  Would cover a bit more ground quicker.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

Hello Ed,

Maybe there is a detecting club, or another detectorist or two near you that can help you out! You may be able to locate some with some help on this forum!!

Good luck in the rapid recovery!👍👌

You will only ignore any other metal if there is no other metal other than Gold there . Gold can come in anywhere from just above Iron to close to Silver if a big target . 

If you give up , there is a group of metal detector types [ us +] that use the net and offer there services to the general public as independent searches .

Once you get to the point that there is value , anyone can join , find stuff and make your own deal for the service .

https://theringfinders.com/

• Like 1

Pimento's advice is worth repeating.  Lower sensitivity WAAAAAY down; you don't need to "go deep" for this target, so no need to hear all the other items that are in the ground, deeper than the top 1-2" or so.

Steve

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steveg said:

Pimento's advice is worth repeating.  Lower sensitivity WAAAAAY down; you don't need to "go deep" for this target, so no need to hear all the other items that are in the ground, deeper than the top 1-2" or so.

Steve

What Steve and Pimento said. I'm lowering the sens regularly on sunbathing areas.. otherwise I'd go crazy 😅. Depending on how tall the grass is, I'd try sens 10-14 . Preferably do some tests with a similar sized ring.

It's a little balancing act between setting the sens too low and miss a target, because of a wrong swing height f.e or setting it too high and hear every aluminium flake..

Good luck!