Pyroslinger

Newbie Question On Gb Pro/ Headphone Jack Size/ Fake?

Howdy from Montana Newbie,

I am in the market for a GB Pro. Going to Arizona and escape these brutal Montana winters for 4 months. Have a buddy down there who is a snow bird also. He explores abandoned mine shafts and old mining operations.  Figured I might as well swing a detector while exploring the area. Amazon had a GB Pro 5" coil as "used with box damaged" for $470.00. I decided to pull the trigger and see what was in the box. The unit looked good...but...I could only find the single 1/4" headphone jack, need the 3.5mm jack for the headphones I am going to use. The manual stated this as well, only 1/4" jack. Didn't turn it on, just reboxed it and returned it immediately for full credit + $85.00 additional credit to buy a new unit with dual headphone jacks from Amazon at $549.00. Any thoughts? Thanks. 

You may want to read this thread, the Fisher F19 is a better version of the Gold Bug Pro for a cheaper price, the new Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Pro is also a variant of the Gold Bug Pro likely to be cheaper.  I believe the F19 can come with the 10x5" Coil, the better of the Fisher GBP coils for prospecting in my opinion.

They dumped the 3.5mm jack off the GPB for some reason.... older ones have it. 

You can just use a low profile adapter which barely sticks out, not much different to having the actual 3.5mm jack.

1814101305_headphoneadapter.jpg.b0fbf06d099a0938c49c75a435ecab94.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Considering you are shopping on Amazon instead of a dealer you should also read this thread if you haven't

• Like 1

My Fisher Gold Bug Pro only has the 1/4" jack, even though the company literature at the time I bought it (4 years ago) said it comes with both (that is, also the 3.5 mm).  I don't know if they originally supplied only the 1/4" and switched to both, vice versa, or just mistakenly only had the single 1/4" on some units going out the door.  I wouldn't use it as a fake/not indicator.

• Like 1

Update: Apparently both designs have existed over the years, see my next posts for details.

It’s key to keep in mind that numerous models use the this basic design, some with both jacks and some not, and FT may have done some mixing due to part shortages along the way. I would also not use it as an item in determining if the model is fake or not.

Buy from reputable dealers and avoid the headache. Many of them sell through Amazon. They key determination is that if the price is advertised too low, it’s probably a fake. Manufacturers have restrictions on advertised prices and that’s what you see at the reputable dealers. There are a couple fake dealers selling fake product right now that for some reason are not getting shut down very quickly.

• Like 2

Yeah...they started out with dual jacks, then cut down to just the 1/4".    My first Gold Bug Pro version 2.9 had both the 1/8" and the 1/4" headphone jacks.   They replaced the 1/8" headphone jack with the rubber headphone jack seal.   All current Gold Bug Pro detector come with the 1/4" headphone jack and rubber seal.

HH
Mike

• Like 4

Or....maybe....I just thought this...maybe the rubber jack seal is universal and you unplug the end you are going to use?????? 

I dunno...just a thought.

My GBP's are almost 2 years old, both came with both jacks and they are most certainly genuine GBP's.  Although they were purchased in Australia and it's likely they sat on the shelf a while there, not exactly good sellers, everyone seems to accidentally buy the far cheaper fakes which are for sale everywhere in this part of the world, easier to get your hands on than a real one by far which is disappointing.

• Like 2

Here's a link to the Fisher website current add.  Note that it says "Dual Headphone Jacks":

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/fisher-goldbug-pro-metal-detector.htm

I checked and that web link was last updated Thursday, 6 June 2019, 12:05:06 am (NZ TIME), who knows what they changed but surely they'd change that headphone port section at the time if necessary.  There is much else on the page that would need changed?