Newbie Question On Gb Pro/ Headphone Jack Size/ Fake?

4 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Nice intro and backstory, thanks for taking the time to do that.

Your best bet is a Fisher F19, it's basically a Gold Bug Pro with more features and it's for some odd reason currently cheaper than a GBP even though it's better

https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/fisher-f19-metal-detector

$449 with

BBH Metal Detectors offers FREE with your Fisher F19 LTD (or standard F19) the following:

1 Lesche Hand Digger With Sheath

1 Free Fisher Padded carry bag

It has the option of the 10x5" coil which is the one you want for prospecting, I have the 5" and 10x5" and I much prefer to use the 10x5" over the 5", It's just as sensitive to the small gold but has better ground coverage.

It has a backlight on the screen, and although they're marketing it as a coin and relic detector that's just so they can keep the Gold Bug Pro alive and kicking.  They're exactly the same in performance on nuggets with the F19 having a few features that benefit the coin hunters too, such as adjustable notching.

It would NOT make sense to buy a Gold Bug Pro when the F19 is cheaper and comes with the 10x5" coil which you'd have to buy separately if you buy a Gold Bug Pro.  They really are the same detector under the hood.

As far as I'm aware there are no F19 fakes either.    It does only have the 1/4" jack, but you can buy the low profile adapter for a couple of dollars.

Haha, or just do that and be under budget.  Phrunt's pretty smart on this, mostly because he has one of everything 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lacky said:

It might be a good idea to start a thread laying out exactly what you would like to do with the detector,  not just this trip but in general. As in do you coin/jewelry hunt sometimes or focused only on nugget hunting.

Also think about and decide if there is any wiggle room in the max budget. Going up not too much brings in some of the most popular/highly recommended detectors like the Gold Monster, equinox,  goldmaster 24k, etc. If there is no wiggle room in max budget clearly state that so all the advice will be under it, although you are also in the range of used prices on those machines,  something to consider. Also include where you plan to hunt and how mineralized the soil is if you know.

Anyway, if you clearly state your needs I'm sure you will get lots of advice.  Buried in this thread it might get overlooked though.

I definitely get what you are saying there and thanks for the input from everyone.  Instead of starting a new thread, I will clear this up now. Sorry for not being more concise in the beginning, but wasn't prepared for the "explosion". 🎆

My  main goal is Gold nuggets. I will be hunting in the Hope Arizona  and surrounding areas for 120 days, inside and around deep mine shafts as well as tailings and swirled washes in highly mineralized and trashy conditions. Budget is capped at $600.00, sadly not enough wiggle room for the GM 24K. 

Seems like each time I pull the trigger on anything in electronic tech, something replaces it within a few months. I am certainly getting back into detecting after all of these years in any case.

I will go through the feedback on this forum and my research, then make a decision soon. I will inform of what it ends up being and also if things go well, what if anything turns up.

My buddy has a very feisty You Tube channel exploring abandoned mines that may be of some interest called ABANDONED & FORGOTTEN PLACES. He is quite the character and I will be joining in loosely with his group of explorers armed with electronics and pan.     https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU7kKUhwDj8jTbJHI8GL21A

Hopefully this addition to the thread I started will make things a bit easier for all interested parties and carry on as usual. It has been great!

Thanks Again All.  PS 

• Like 1

I will say go into that fully aware of the dangers and real possibilities of death going into long abandoned mines entails. I personally believe if someone has weighed the risks with eyes wide open and still wants to climb that mountain, fly that wing suit, or go into that mine, hey, gotta love freedom of choice. Just make sure you know the risk you are taking and are ok with it.

• Like 2

I loved watching them fly the wing suits in the new revised Point Break movie.  I bought the movie just because of that.   Too cool.  

13 hours ago, Pyroslinger said:

One thing I have learned about electronics and technology is "Now Is The Best Time To Wait".

I'm not familiar with that phrase.  Do you mean if you wait, something better will come along?  Although you can't rule out surprises, the IB/VLF gold detecting technology is pretty mature.  What is more likely to happen (and it's been happening) is that the prices come down.  But it sounds like you are entering prime hunting season in Arizona and waiting costs you all that fun and search time.

You asked specifically about the Gold Bug Pro and gave a pretty hard price ceiling.  For a new detector, Phrunt has nailed it, IMO -- the F19 (Gold Bug Pro with a few added bells and whistles) with 5"x10" coil and Lesche tool for $450.  That even gives you some jack left over for accessory items, like a plastic scoop, snake chaps, a decent pick, etc.  For those check out A&B Prospecting: https://www.abprospecting.com/ (main brick-and-mortar store in Mesa but another satelite store in Prescott).

I will point out that used detectors on Ebay (and maybe other places such as detecting forum sites and also craigslist) is an option for those on a tight budget.  You just might find a Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Minelab Equinox 600, Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Makro Gold Kruzer, or even a White's Goldmaster 24K that fits your budget, if you're lucky.  I think most of those companies honor warranty transfer but worth checking out if you go the used route.  A lot of times they require proof-of-purchase date and most sellers are extremely lax in providing that, in my experieince.  But sounds like time's a wastin'....

• Thanks 1

Personally I would no longer consider the Gold Bug Pro. The F19 is an upgraded version of the GBP with more features, and you can get the 5" x 10" DD coil as stock which has never been possible with the Gold Bug Pro without getting a dual coil package. And with some dealers selling the F19 for less than a Gold Bug Pro I just don't see why anyone would want the Gold Bug Pro unless they like the name.

Extra features the F19 includes that the Gold Bug Pro lacks:

• Adjustable volume, both master volume and ferrous volume. The Gold Bug Pro runs at max volume at all times. No volume control built in. The F19 adds a normal 1 - 10 volume control. It also adds a secondary 1 -10 control that only affects the ferrous 0 - 39 region of the id scale. So you can have gold nugget make a loud beep but a nail make a very soft ground. This is great when working in lots of ferrous trash as it lowers the barrages of ferrous signals. The Gold Bug Pro has a very loud external speaker, and the ability to lower the volume when working without headphones is welcome.
  • Red meter backlight. The meter can be lit for low light conditions, with the red tone chosen to not affect your eyes low light capturing ability (same as in aircraft cockpits). The backlight is adjustable and can be turned off.
  • Notch discriminate. A discriminate "window" can be created of variable size, and set to either "notch out" or "notch in" any certain segment of the target id scale. For instance a certain pesky pulltab reading can be individually blocked out. The Gold Bug Pro lacks this ability.
  • But here is the big one - the F19 can be had standard with the 10" x 5" elliptical DD coil that many people prefer, but the 7" x 11" DD is also an option for those that prefer it at no additional charge.

fisher-f19-sale-flyer.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Pyroslinger, and welcome to the forum!!

You've got some great miners and detectorists chiming in here! Heed their advice!!  Sorta like online yoda's!

You got a great thread going for a "newbie," or experienced hunter! Your intro was informative, and i look forward to the 120 day adventure! keep us posted! 

And by all means, heed the safety advice as well! You may want to ask your friend if anyone in the group has First Aid Training! If so, make sure they are for real! And that the correct first aid supplies are carried by you, and/or them, for that area! 

30 years in Public Safety taught me much about how "prepared"👎,  and "qualified"👎, people really are!!

Be Safe, and Good Hunting⛏👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1